“Delicious German Chocolate Cake”

El Milagro Twenty Twelve
Ranked #43 of 145 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2012

While visiting Fredericksburg, TX, I happened to pass by a couple that mentioned there was a restaurant with delicious sweets down the gravel pathway behind the courtyard at Main and Lincoln. It's a quaint restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. The wait staff is friendly and the desserts are large and oh so delicious. I'd just eaten lunch an hour prior. So, I decided have dessert and a cool beverage. The flavourful german chocolate cake was moist and the icing had just the right amount of sweetness...superb!!! The brochure on my table indicated they have live music in the Sugar & Smoke courtyard on certain evenings from 6-9 pm.

www.sugarandsmoke.com

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Sugar and Smoke is relatively new to Fredericksburg, and is a welcome addition. It is nestled in a courtyard just off Main Street. Nicole Davenport tries to use all local in her food preperation, and she has perfected the smoked meats. Her baked goods rival any place in town. Her partner, John Bernard, is responsible for the music in the Courtyard on Saturday afternoons. It makes for a great venue. Give this place a try for a delicious lunch in a nice setting.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have been to two of the Saturday afternoon concerts, the first with Seven Stories featuring Michael Gilbert aka Happy Fat, and more recently, Happy Fat solo doing an acoustic show. They are great musicians and it is worth going to Sugar & Smoke just for the entertainment. Even better, the food is great - the brisket is tender and flavorful, and the desserts are sinful. Owner John Bernard is doing a wonderful job of bringing in entertainers, and has assembled a professional, friendly staff.

The chef, Nicole Davenport, is not only a wonderful chef, she is a neat lady, grew up on a West Texas ranch, and went on to be a world class chef. Read her bio on S&S's website.

S&S is just off Main St., right behind the house where Admiral Chester Nimitz was born.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Rather sweet was far superior to this "replacement" bakery. Their service was poor to say the least, and I found this surprising because it was raining and hardly busy. The"hickory smoked burger" that I ordered was a $10 piece of jerky in between two slices of bread which I took two bites of (received no comp) and left my mouth with a terrible taste for the rest of the day. I am waiting for next restaurant. Do not waste time or money here.

1  Thank AggieJames
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stumbled upon Sugar and Smoke quite by accident, and thought what the heck, let"s try it. We sat in a little outdoor patio area, very calming. The waitstaff was very attentive, and explained the menu to us newcomers. They have several kinds of smoked meat, any of which can be sered as a sandwich, in a salad, or on a baked potato. We tried the peach pork on the potato, and pork with cherry sauce on a salad. Both were absolutely wonderful. We then decided to try the sugar part of their name and ordered german chocolate cake and a mexican chocolate cinammon cake. Utterly wonderful.(you can go inside and pick what you want in the pastry cases). I'm sitting here at home now regretting that I didn't get some pastries to take home-they all looked wonderful.Looks like I'll be driving an hour next time I want pastries.