“Glad we stopped in”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed January 8, 2014

8:00 pm on a Wednesday and most places in town were closed or closing. We drove by Hondo's and saw six or eight cars out front and stopped in. My wife had a fried chicken sandwich and I had a BBQ bacon hamburger and we shared an order of fried potato slices. She loved her meal and the hamburger was one of the best I've ever had. Jack Daniels on ice for me and a margarita for her. Live music also and both acts were very good and a pleasure to listen to as we ate our meal. Hondo's is a great place for food, drink, and entertainment!

1  Thank dvandrv

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Great food! Beyond great band playing called the Flyin A's! Everyone needs to experience this authentic Texas atmosphere.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Hondo's on Main was a nice find. If you're looking for bar food arrive before 9 pm. It was a nice atmosphere to get a drink after a long day. Live music was awesome!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

No one mentioned in their reviews that this is a kinda sorta serve yourself restaurant. You have to stand in line to order food and drinks, then hang around until someone vacates a table which you need to quickly snatch up in order to sit down. Then, when your food is ready, you have to go to the window to pick it up yourself. Oh, and did I mention that wine comes in a plastic glass?

The food was certainly good, though nothing special. The jalapeno popper appetizers were the highlight of dinner. Just spicy enough, but nothing dangerous.

There was live music while we were there, which would have been quite enjoyable had it not been for the bunches of little kids (yes, little kids) who were jumping around the dance floor, yelling and showing off. Must be some kind of local Texas culture thing. I thought it was awful.

If I'm ever in Fredericksburg again, this will not be on my list of places to go.

1  Thank cachevalley1
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I'm a local and love the feel of this place, it has a great courtyard that is shady enough to enjoy even when it's hot outside. The food is good, but there is nothing remotely 'healthy' on the menu, so plan on eating something large, fried and filling. That said, the food is tasty. You order at the bar and pick up from a window. We especially like the burgers, fried jalapeños and queso.