“New winery worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilmy Cellars

Hilmy Cellars
Ranked #19 of 102 things to do in Fredericksburg
League City, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“New winery worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

The folks at Grape Creek suggested we try Hilmy, which I had not even noticed when we drove into town. The winery is just getting started (celebrated one year anniversary in March), but they are on the right track. When we arrived the staff was swirling wine in their own glasses, marveling at how good the tempranillo tasted a day after the bottle was opened. After the official tasting they gave us a sample to compare, and they were right! The staff was very laid back and intelligent. We really appreciated the passion they shared for the wine. Don't expect lots of souvenirs or beautiful facilities, but their wine and staff are worth the stop.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank rvphillips

Pilot Point, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Personalized Wine Tasting In A Contemporary Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

This little winery has a lot going for it with Josh in charge of wine tasting. I must admit that I have not met a person that brings the level of wine tasting to the level that Josh did when I visited Hilmy Cellars. Josh is young, but he knows wine, and he understands the wines that Hilmy cellars bottles. The tasting started off with their 2011 Doozwazo which is a blend of chenin blanc and chardonnay. It has a honeysuckle nose, a crisp semi dry feel, mildly acidic, with a light fruit finish. Very refreshing. A 2011 Persephone followed, which is a white wine that has a light fruity nose with complex flavors of strawberry, pear and banana. It is a dry white with a faint tempranillo finish. Very intriguing. Next up was their 2011 The Temp which is a blend of tempranillo, mouvedre, sangiovese, and carignan. This is a powerful red with complexity sure to be the perfect wine with a hearty steak. The 2010 Politics & Religion is a red that will captivate your interest with its complex flavors of tart cherries, tart blueberries, caramel, tobacco and a hint of charred oak. Very smooth and very complex. The finish was the 2011 Muscat Canelli with a light citrus and sugar nose with bursts of sweet apple and sweet grapefruit. Very fruit forward, but not sugary like most muscats. This is a muscat you will want to cellar as nothing out there comes close to the original taste and finish of this muscat. Will I be back? Absolutely. And if you get a chance to meet Josh, he will make your tasting a memorable experience.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank TXGarfield
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“New favorite winery in Fredericksburg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We found the 5 wines we tasted to be wonderful - which is a nice suprise in Fredericksburg. Most times I end up only liking maybe one of the six or so wines I would taste at a winery. The staff was very friendly and you can tell they care about what they are doing. The prices are a little high for Texas wine, but we bought three bottles anyway since we liked them so much. This has quickly become my favorite winery in the area.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Kariera
Houston, Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Best Winery in Hill Country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have been all over the hill country wineries. Hilmy Cellars is the most contemporary, personal experience so far. Especially if you are a bit younger (I just turned 30), you'll like Hilmy Cellars. I highly recommend it. First of all the building is sort of a rustic/contemporary style. Our tasting experience was very personal as one of the owners served our tasting. One of the more enjoyable tasting experiences. Everyone in our group loved the wines. We ended up buying a few bottles, and if I hadn't bought any at the other wineries, I would have bought more. The one interesting thing about Hilmy cellars was that their tasting menu and bottle labels were very artistic. It looked like someone had spend some time designing some thoughtful and contemporary graphics for it. There is a bunch of picnic tables on a covered patio out back, and you can bring your lunch. I'll definitely be back for more!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Lauren R
Ajijic, Mexico
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Love this winery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We took guests on a winery tour along hwy 290, Texas wine country, and this winery was by far our favorite. Our host for the tastings free-poured the wine so we felt like we were getting a good pour for our money. So many of the wineries give you barely enough to taste, though you pay a significant amount for the tastings. She was knowledgeable and interesting. We bought some wine and sat on the back porch and drank it on a breezy afternoon. We were so impressed that we joined their wine club and bought more wine to take home. Our favorite wine is called " Politics and Religion." Try it, it is amazing. I love this place.

Visited March 2013