“Wonderful stay.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Two Wee Cottages Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 80 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Dallas
“Wonderful stay.”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Two Wee Cottages over a weekend in March 2013 as part of our trip to see my grandmother who was in a nursing home in Fredericksburg. Our first lodging choice was booked so we chose this B&B as it was the closest to the nursing home where my grandmother was located and it had a hot tub.

I was a little bummed that the B&B did not offer a full hot breakfast. However, we ended up loving this little B&B and the homemade pastries and goodies left every day proved more than adequate since we were eating lunch and dinner out anyway.

It was quaint and spotless and we loved the private screened porch and hot tub. Everything we could have possibly needed was there. The bigger house ended up being booked by the time we made our decision but the smaller house suited us just fine. It had a king sized bed, armoire, dresser, flat screen TV, couch, dining table, fridge, sink, microwave, and shower (no tub), and wonderful bathrobes. The fridge had been stocked with our requested items. Yes, some of the furnishings are worn, but I didn't drive all the way from Dallas to Fredericksburg to sit on a couch. It's not the Ritz-Carlton, nor does it pretend to be. We found it quaint and charming.

The owners come and introduce themselves upon arrival but then make themselves scarce. This is done so that you experience privacy and seclusion during your stay. They have anticipated your every need--so many times, I would remark to my husband "Wow, they thought of everything!" If anything is needed, you can write your requests on a chalkboard outside. Skip showed us our refreshments that were waiting for us--I can't imagine anyone not knowing what they were for as it was perfectly clear.

In addition to the hot tub and screened back porch, there was a grill and patio table in an uncovered area, a gazebo, a fountain which provided a lovely sound when outside, as well as a swing in the front.

The location is a 15-minute walk or 5-minute drive from Main Street. Although we did walk to Main Street from the B&B, I don't really recommend it. There aren't sidewalks the whole way there and after hiking and walking all day, the walk back seemed very long indeed. However, it is doable. The first night we drove and parked at the visitor's center on Austin Street.

We enjoyed our stay very much and would highly recommend this B&B for couples wanting a private romantic weekend in Fredericksburg.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FebTwoThree

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Campton, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My sister and I enjoyed our four night stay at the Granny Hein's Cottage. Morse St is very close to the center of town, yet felt very secluded and tucked away. The screened-in porch overlooking a koi pond and small waterfall enhanced the feeling of being in our own little corner of the world. The hot tub was wonderful and impossible to resist after a long day of touring the hill country. Kate and Skip really do mean that they will pamper you "invisibly". The treats, movies, popcorn, etc kept appearing, but never obtrusively. When we didn't have a particular pan we needed for our meal, it appeared within minutes of our phone call to Kate. The cottage is exactly what they advertised: filled with antiques and cozy. We were sad to say good-bye to such a comfortable, private and convenient lodging!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

First, I have to rave about the hosts. They were very helpful in all ways asked and I was given a very comprehensive tour of the cottage. Then they disappeared and there was not a trace of them again except for the wonderful treats that appeared magically on the screened in porch. The house was stocked well enough that I made more than a couple of meals there at the cottage. The kitchen could have been a bit cleaner though. The sofa and chairs were a bit broken down and it definitely felt like I was at my grandmother's house. But the bed was cozy and comfortable and I really looked forward to relaxing in the hot tub each evening. Would have liked to have said thanks but there was a definite line drawn after the initial greeting. Pleasant place.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Happyhosts, Owner at Two Wee Cottages Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
First, let me begin by saying that Skip & I so appreciate the positive remarks about our role as hosts. We try to make everyone feel welcome and to attend to every need of our treasured guests. We do provide what we call "Invisible pampering" to all who stay in our cottages. Yes, there are many times that the only time we see our guests is when Skip or I check them in. The great majority of those who visit love this, as they want seclusion and privacy. An escape from their busy lives. But if there is any issue that they want to address with us, be it to say thank you or to report something amiss in the cottages, we always tell our guests verbally & in several places in writing that we are but a phone call away.

I do want to address the "worn" issue of our cottage. Granny Hein House was built in 1946 and we have done everything possible to keep it as true to that time as possible. The couch in the parlor is 2 years old and it took us that long to find a new couch off of the showroom floor that would fit in with the many antiques we have in the cottage. We do not have one piece of furniture in the cottage that is "broken down". There was a mended dining room chair that a previous guest broke last Fall, but those chairs have been replaced. The only other chair in the cottage is a lovely armchair that was purchased one year ago. We would never present anything to our guests that is "worn" or shabby. In the 9 years we have been here, we have been very proud to offer Granny Hein's House as a warm and welcoming step back in time.

Our cottages are cleaned for 3 hours before each guest arrives. Skip & I often chuckle about my obsessive shopping for cleaning supplies & implements. The kitchen has not been updated with granite marbletops or stainless steel appliances, as again we have endeavored to keep the cottage faithful to Mrs. Hein's time and yes, it does look like a Grandmother's kitchen. But we do apologize if there was anything missed in the cleaning. Again, we urge our guests to call us if they find something that we might have missed. That is what we are here for and would have immediately remedied anything that was not as it should be.

We very appreciate the review and offer our best wishes to the guest who took the time to submit it. Kate & Skip Wentworth - Ownders
Texas
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Really loved our vacation at 2weecottages. It was relaxing and peaceful. Just a wonderful weekend to relax. Kate ourdid herself with the sweets that she bakes. We came home relaxed and more connected to each other. The hottub helped get out all the kinks too. What a wonderful way to relax. I highly recommend that you try 2weecottages!! We cant wait to go back in October.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We just returned from a two night stay at The Little House for our anniversary. Making reservations was very easy and all instructions were very clear. We arrived and were immediately greeted by one of the owners, Skip. He explained the location of items in the cottage, the operation of the hot tub, and how baked goods would be delivered and left on the back porch. We had requested some movies and they were waiting along with microwave popcorn to enjoy. We have stayed in several B&B's and this one seem to have every want or need covered....down to the smallest item. The room was clean, decorated with antiques, with ample towels and linens and all the things necessary for the kitchen.
We had a very relaxing time, enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return!
Thanks Skip and Kate for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gayla
Waco, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I have visited 2 Wee Cottages at least 4 times over the past 5 years. My spouse and I try to make a trip there every fall for some rest and relaxation and that is exactly what we always find at 2 Wee Cottages. This is not your typical B&B and the owners (Kate and Skip...both phenomenal people) go above and beyond to make you feel special, while working diligently to provide the uptmost privacy and relaxation. During our many stays there, we have been treated with the highest level of hospitality. The owners work to ensure that our every need was attended to in a professional and courteous manner. This is truly a hidden treasure of Fredricksburg!! We have stayed at many Bed and Breakfasts over the years, but 2 Wee is top of the line and is the only one that we look forward to returning to year after year!!!!!

Room Tip: Personally, we loved My Little House, but we have stayed in both cottages and both are truly amazing...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky S
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We confirmed our stay by e-mail and all the instructions were sent in advance. We were told there was no need to anything except go to our cottage when we arrived, therefore we didn't expect to see the owners except maybe in passing. Shortly after we arrived, the male owner, Skip, opened the front door of the cottage unannounced, came in and closed the door behind him. I literally scanned him to see if there was a knife or something else on his body that we should be afraid of. He ended up being very friendly and explained things to us, like where the salt and pepper was in the kitchen...really? It was a nice place and we enjoyed it, but I was so unnerved by that incident that I had a hard time sleeping. Also, during the instructional about the hot tub, he told us clothes were optional. Very uncomfortable comment, considering the room it's in has windows on all three walls, that the owners could see in, if they were looking. Maybe some training in what's acceptable behavior and what's not is needed at Two Wee Cottages.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank texastraveler017
Happyhosts, Owner at Two Wee Cottages Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
We were so sorry to hear of the complaints our guests had. It is our #1 priority to make sure our guests are given a totally satisfactory stay. I will address each issue individually.

1. My husband & I have always gone out & greeted our guests. This has been our standard practice for 8 years. My husband usually does this & he knocks before entering. The only thing we can ascertain about the comment of him coming in “unannounced” was that he might have mistakenly thought he heard them tell him to come in. He would never enter any other way. A police veteran of 25 years, he knows better than that. We offer a friendly welcome, show them around & answer any questions. We then "disappear" & endeavor to give them all of the privacy & seclusion we possibly can. I cannot imagine a B&B host or hostess not introducing themselves to their guests. In this case, the misunderstanding about our standard practice of introduction guests is regrettable.

2. We do show our guests how the hot tubs operate, location of items most missed by guests (resulting in phone calls to us & our guests are always so apologetic) and how our decanter-less coffee maker works. We have found this helps our guests & the reviews following this one seem to corroborate that. This has also proven to be a favorite part of our guests' experience, as they can ask us about restaurants, things to do & places to go. We make the visit brief, as we want our guests to get on with their private stay. Making our guests feel at home is a standard with us.

3. We were very concerned about the remarks about Skip telling them “they didn’t have to wear clothes” while using the hot tub. He tells our guests that “swimsuits are optional”, due to the privacy features we have. Many, many guests ask us if that is permissible. Our porches have screens, stained glass windows & blinds. Our own home has the same. We cannot see from our house into the porches. We have owned this property 8 years & not once have we intruded or violated the privacy of our guests while they use the hot tubs. We can hear the hot tubs if we are anywhere near the porches & we beat a hasty retreat. As a rule, we wait until their cars leave before we even go outside. We would not be “seeing in” under any circumstance & find that somewhat offensive. Skip is not the kind of man that would do or say anything lacking in good taste to anyone, let alone a treasured guest. He was just reassuring them that they would have absolute privacy.

We believe that we offer our guests the ultimate respect, privacy & warmest hospitality that we can possibly give them. However, we are not so arrogant that from time to time there might be those guests that feel otherwise. We wish them well and send our regrets for their not finding their experience here as satisfactory as they wished for.

Kate Wentworth, Owner