“Just fantastic!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Walnut Canyon Guest Cabins
Hockley, Texas
“Just fantastic!”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

My sister and I stayed in the Treehouse for two nights in March 2012. We would stay here again in a heartbeat! They have thought of everything. The cabin is very new and very well-equipped. We didn't expect the fresh garden eggs, tubes of biscuits, frozen sausages, oatmeal packets, juices, etc. that awaited us. We made waffles one morning with the mix made available to us.

This is a bit off-the-beaten-path which is what appealed to us. We loved sitting on the treetop deck in the evenings and for morning coffee. My sister slept in the little loft to watch the stars. The bed was very comfortable.

Internet is not available and my cell phone would not work, but that didn't bother me. It was nice to have a peaceful escape.

I would've liked a bedside lamp because I am a before-sleep reader, but other than that, this place is just perfect!

A delight to stay at! Thank you!

Room Tip: I can only speak for the Treehouse specifically, but all the cabins looked lovely!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank texassgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tusket NS
Reviewed April 2, 2012

This was our first time in Texas and to be honest, we chose Walnut Canyon Cabins through an internet search not knowing a lot about the area. Fredericksburg is a wonderful town- the sort of place where you just have to park the car and walk.
The weather was perfect (came home to snow in Nova Scotia!) and the accomodations could not have been better. We stayed in the newest cabin- the Tree House- and loved its privacy and peaceful location. The birds woke us up most mornings.
Our cabin had a wonderful book on the table which included listings of various eating establishments, farms etc....that we confiscated for the duration of our stay. Whatever area we were heading off to for exploring that day included a stop at one of the many unique shops and restaurants.
The cottage had absolutely everything that anyone would need. No internet but there are many cafés in town which have free wi-fi access.
It certainly was a long way from home but quickly became "home" for us for the 4 nights that we stayed there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda L
Beaumont, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My family of 4 chose Walnut Canyon to finish up our spring break hill country "adventure". We love the Fredericksburg area, but had never stayed here. GREAT choice! My only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer. My kids, ages 12 and 16 fell in love with the miniature horses, cicilian donkey, and the two friendliest dogs! My husband and I fell in love with the quiet and beauty. While it is about 20 minutes or so from town, you do 't notice because the drive is so scenic. The kids and I took a walk down to the bottom of the canyon- the MountAin Laurels are in bloom so it smelled soooo good. I highly recommend these cabins for a family getaway or a couples romantic retreat. Oh, David is the nicest guy! He checked on us whenever he caught us outside. Don't leave without having Zack sing to you!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy B
Pearland, Texas, USA
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Visited Walnut Canyon Cabins with three boys and my wife during Spring Break. Only stayed 2 nights but could have spent many, many more.

David and Laurie have built a cozy retreat located about 10 miles from downtown Fredericksburg, close enough to shop but far enough from the crowds to actually relax and enjoy the Texas Hill Country.

Our cabin was stocked with fresh eggs, sausage, biscuits, muffin mix, juice, basically everything you need for a great start to your day. Feel like breakfast for lunch and dinner? There was enough for that too!

The boys especially enjoyed playing with Zack and Zoey, the resident puppies.

David allowed the boys to test their skills at "catch-a-chicken" and took us on a hiking tour of the entire property since our hiking time at Enchanted Rock was postponed due to overcrowding in the park.

We stayed in the Tree House, which is the newest cabin on the property. Build by David himself, the cabin was much bigger than I envisioned and was perfect for a family of five.

My overall impression is that David and Laurie want you to feel like family when staying at the Walnut Canyon Cabins, which is why we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: All of the cabins have great views and a sense of privacy.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank txex94
League City, Texas
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My husband and I were in desperate need of a break from the routine/kids/stress/every day, etc, so we decided to take a long weekend in the Hill Country. We usually do New Braunfels, but decided to try Fredericksburg this time.

We checked out the local B&Bs, but I've never been an B&B fan. My husband stumbled on these cabins on craigslist of all places. So we called and booked a reservation. We got the last cabin for the weekend, calling more than a month in advance! So think ahead, apparently these guys go fast!

We drove in from 87, leaving San Antonio on the Boerne side. We didnt look at a map before leaving and just typed in the address to the GPS. We were a little confused by the directions - you go for several miles down what seems like a private ranch road. But dont be swayed - just keep going. It'll take you a good 15 minutes after leaving the freeway to get there.

However, it's worth it. The view from the backs of the cabins is spectacular - a true hill country treat. It is beautiful, and everything that we came for. The cabins themselves are very cozy and comfortable and clean. Everything you can think of is provided in case you forget. AND they give breakfast. I LOVED the fresh eggs scrambled up with some Grist Mill leftover tenderloin. I'm addicted now. And dont worry - there's coffee too.

There's no cable, or not any i could find. But they do have a pretty good selection of DVDs. You are a fair bit out of town - so be aware of that. It takes 20 minutes or so to get into Fredericksburg. It's a beautiful drive, but still a drive. There's a restaurant right down the road, but it happened to be closed when we were there. So just be aware and plan accordingly. No drinking on that drive.

I would have been completely overjoyed if there had been a heater on the back patio. We managed to go during a cold snap and didnt get to enjoy the view and the stars the way I had wanted since the porch was so cold! But other than that, it was a wonderful stay. I will defintely stay there again, especially when I bring the kids this summer.

For the kids - there are ponies and chickens and the sweetest puppies AND plenty of space for them to explore and not get in trouble. I would feel 100% comfortable just letting them play outside. You can't say that for most B&Bs and hotels. It's like a built in babysitter!

Room Tip: All the cabins are great. The view from "The Woods" was phenomenal.
2 Thank D_Shi_12610
Peaster, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My new husband and I spent our honeymoon in "The Woods" cabin for 4 days and 3 nights. Not NEAR long enough but it could not have been more perfect! Gorgeous view, adorable animals, peace and quiet and the goodies for breakfast were the perfect touch! And YUMMY! (Farm fresh eggs, sausage, biscuits, pancake mix, syrup, oatmeal, etc!) Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or just wanting to get away from it all, you will not find a better place owned by better people...ANYWHERE! Laurie and David, you two are truly a gift from God!

2 Thank Lori M
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Stayed two nights in "The Woods" cabin, wish we could have stayed two weeks.

David is a wonderful host and the creator, builder, designer of the 4 cabins.

Farm fresh eggs from his chicken house are in every cabin, along with biscuits, pancake mix, coffe, tea, sausage and other goodies for breakfast.

Two very friendly puppy dogs, Zack & Zoey, will great you in the morning or when you return from a day trip to Texas wine country.

It is very quiet in the morning so sleeping until 10 am is no problem. Cabins are warm and comfortable, the view is beautiful, the stars are night are breath taking.

Oh and bring a camera for wildlife shots, deer, cardinals, llamas, lambs, ponies, horses, etc... all in a 15 min drive of the cabin!

Room Tip: All 4 cabins can be used as a couples get away or for a young family of 4. Contact David for more in...
2 Thank BABKMB