“Good, not great”

Victorian Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #57 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 8, 2011

To be fair, let me start with the positives. We stayed in the Master Suite, which was very nice. The room was very spacious and clean, and the bed....oh my. The bed was absolutely amazing. Hands down, THE MOST comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

My first issue with this B&B is that it's missing the second "B" - there's no breakfast! Instead, you get a voucher for $12 (per couple, so $6 per person) which you can use toward breakfast at one of five local restaurants. A few problems with this:
1. Every restaurant on the list was closed on either Saturday or Sunday. A little strange, since aren't most people coming for a weekend getaway? No big deal, just a little tricky when trying to strategically plan.
2. $12 was enough to cover about half the cost of the meal, when you include tax and gratuity. It just seems a little stingy. Still, not a big deal, just something we found a little inconvenient.

Also, there weren't any sort of snacks or refreshments provided in the room. Not even a bottle of water. Granted, I haven't stayed at many B&B's, so maybe this is the norm. We just expected maybe there would be SOME kind of something upon arrival...like maybe some fruit or juice or a granola bar.

The next issue we found was with the jacuzzi. It was absolutely wonderful to enjoy the enormous, spa-like, relaxing whirlpool bath....until we turned the jets off. Obviously, the tub had not been used or cleaned in a long while because there were hundreds of particles of dirt and even a few dead bugs floating around with us in the water. Romantic. We exited promptly.

For our last and most awkward complaint, on Saturday night at about 9:30pm, one of the maintenance people tried to WALK INTO our room....without knocking, unannounced. All of the sudden we heard someone fiddling with the doorknob, like they were trying to pick the lock or find the right key. It's important to know that the entrance to the Master Suite is through the garage....where our car was parked. So obviously, we were in the room. My husband inquired through the [closed] door, who was there and what did they want. He replied that he was supposed to fix the hot water heater - we did not even have a hot water heater in our room! It was extremely rude and inconvenient, and downright disturbing that he would have just walked right in without knocking.

When my husband informed the front desk upon checkout, they could not explain why he had been there and did not act like they cared too much about the inconvenience.

All in all, not a terrible experience and it did have some positives....but we won't be back, as there are so many other options around town.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bradierenee
There are newer reviews for Victorian Mansion Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed May 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Carriage House and it is absolutely amazing! We really enjoyed the private courtyard with the hot tub. We were always out there drinking coffee, soaking up some sun on the reclining chairs, and at night relaxing in the hot tub. The other thing we really loved was that it was a couple blocks off of Main St. where we did a lot of shopping and dining.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2011

The Fountain View room was more than I expected. So spacious and warm and the decorations are beautiful. The bed is heaven to sleep on. I have stayed in Fredericksburg every spring for the last 4 years and this is by far my favorite place to stay. The fountain in the front drive is beautiful and soothing. I enjoyed the hot tub both nights I stayed, so nice to soak after a day of hiking.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2011

My husband and I spent our 12th Anniversary at The Victorian Mansion in the Master Suite. We could not have asked for a more relaxing weekend. We will definately be back again next year. Definately recommend the Ultimate Pampering Package! To walk in our room and have Champagne and Chocolate covered strawberries waiting there for us was really romantic, not to mention the couples massage, and last but definately not least the horse carraige ride through Fredericksburg. Absolute Charm made everything so easy, this was our first time at a B&B and we will definately be back! Don't forget the Rockbox Theatre as well, we also got the Music Lover's Package and the show was awesome! THANK YOU ABSOLUTE CHARM FOR MAKING OUR 12TH ANNIVERSARY A MEMORABLE ONE!

Paul and Amy Dennis

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Master Suite for 2 nights. It was very nice to have the garage access right outside our door. It was in a great location and very close to shops and restuarants. The suite was huge, the neighborhood was quite and the bed was very comfortable. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2010

The house was clean, plenty of room and a big screen tv to end the day .

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Absolute Charm staff gave no warm greetings as guest pick up their keys, but rather acted as if we were a bother. The Fountain View room is a converted attic and has many dangerous angles for taller folks, but I'm 5'4" and still hit head a few times. The shower/bath is a JOKE! You have to stoop over to use the hand held shower because the tub is located in an eave area. The spa was cold upon arrival and wasn't spa temp until the morning of our departure so didn't get to use it at all! Spa stuck in a hard to get to area of the back yard with no landscaping or anything romantic about it! You'll spend more than the $12 vouchers given per couple for breakfast at the approved venues. Spend your B&B money elsewhere!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
TexasTammy, Owner at Victorian Mansion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2010

I'm afraid this particular guest arrived looking to be unhappy. A few days before arrival she told us that she would be using another website's gift card for her balance. We told her that we do not accept that particular gift card. She wrote back saying that we should then be "eliminated" from that website and how our listing on that site was misleading, etc. I wrote back a nice email showing her where the icons on that site clearly show whether or not a B&B accepts those gift cards and in fact only 22 of 57 B&Bs listed in Fredericksburg do. She wrote back and agreed and said she "filed a complaint" with that website. Just to bend over backwards, I even wrote back and said I would make a one time exception and honor the card since it was an honest misunderstanding. I never heard back from her, and she checked in and paid with credit card.

Shortly after checking into the Fountain View Suite she called and complained that she didn't care for the tub configuration as her husband was too tall (the tub is built into the eaves of the building.) We were completely full and had nothing else to offer her, so we offered to give her a full refund if she didn't like the room as I know other places in town had vacancies. She declined.

As to her other complaints, the suite is not a converted attic. It was built in 2004 brand new and finished out from the day it was built. It's the top of a 1.5 story building with dormers, so it has angled ceilings. It's over 1000 sq. ft. and is priced lower than a standard hotel room in Fredericksburg. We sent someone to adjust the spa as soon as she called. The $12 breakfast vouchers are $2 more than other services provide and list 5 restaurants on the back with write-ups which describe which ones are budget friendly (two can easily eat for $12) and which will definitely blow the budget but are oh so worth it!

As soon as she got home she must have shot off this review in retaliation. Given that she was offered a full refund early in the day on Friday does not seem to be mentioned in her review. I notice on the other posts by this reviewer, they give a one star rating to a local restaurant and even take a few shots at Rockbox which is the #1 tripadvisor attraction in Texas. Too bad.

If you look three reviews down you will see a great review of Fountain View. Just shows we find what we look for in life. Happy travels!