“Decent food, but not sure it was worth the price”
Review of Sunset Grill

Sunset Grill
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Breakfast is served all of the time! Best breakfast in Fredericksburg, TX. Set in the beautiful Texas Hill Country, the Sunset Grill features inspired dishes using the freshest ingredients from local growers to create a memorable dining experience. When you experience our cuisine, attentive service and friendly atmosphere we believe we'll become one of your favorite places to dine. We invite you to come in and see what makes us one of the most popular restaurants in the Hill Country. Sunset Grill - A Classic American Bistro.
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

The food at this restaurant was hit-or-miss. My eggs Benedict had a weird tangy taste, but my daughters French toast was actually some of the best I've had. The service was ok....not great, but not bad either. I didn't think it was worth the price (almost $90 with tip, for 5 people).

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very good salads. Special today was a Caesar salmon salad. Excellent. One choice of soup was cream of mushroom and this too was great. Disappointed this restaurant does not serve dessert. Will definitely go back next time we visit Fredricksburg.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Breakfast was awesome, convenient to our motel(we walked from the Econo Lodge), great service and a trendy sot of a New Yorky décor. very comfortable.

Date of visit: April 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had been to Sunset Grill about a year ago and was pleased. Went back for lunch this weekend and was let down.

The issues started from the beginning. Our party of 11 had called earlier in the week to make a reservation. When we arrived no one had a record of us calling so they were not prepared for us. While they did check a 'book', apparently no one bothered to write it down. Fortunately they were able to accommodate us outside. This is where the problems began.

Next, as our party was walking out to the patio one of the waiters jumped in between us with a tray of food and forced one of our party to hold the door for him with no question or no thanks. Then, as I was walking out the door another waiter approached from the other direction and forced himself through our group, making me walk backwards to let him through. Again, no request or thanks, just a 'get out of my way' attitude and look.

As we were sitting in the sun we noticed some patio umbrellas sitting around. We got up to move & open them to protect some elderly family members. Their staff gladly pointed out that we were moving them incorrectly, but none bothered to offer to assist us as we relocated and deployed two of these umbrellas. As with passing through the doorway, it is clear their staff has no clue about service.

As for the food, our party ordered many different things so I cannot review each of them. I had a burger with cajun spices and blue cheese. It was tasty, but not exceptional. Another in our party had the Big A$$ sandwich (funny...Trip Advisor would not allow me to use the actual sandwich name) and was pleased with their choice. The rest of our party ordered a variety of items and no one voiced any displeasure with their selection.

So, to put a bow on this, I can say that the food here far exceeds the service. Their staff really seemed put out that they would have to actually deal with people when working in food service. The also made it clear that since we were there, we should be happy to hold doors and move furniture for them. I think some lessons in customer service would be in order.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

You might drive by this jewel as it is somewhat unassuming in its location on Adams St. We had coupons good for breakfast or lunch from out home rental in town and we used 2 of our 4 days here. Might have eaten here everyday if we had gone there first. The menu is "brunch" type food including salads, sandwiches, omelets & burgers.. Did not go there for dinner which is a more extensive menu. Had the crab cake "burger" as a special request one visit and the Key West Omelet the next time, both seasoned perfectly. Friendly attentive staff and owner came by table both times to inquire how we liked the food. Local patrons there, too. Will definitely return when travels take me back to Fredericksburg.

Date of visit: April 2013