“Mixed Review” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 81 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

We chose the Country Cottages because we wanted to spend the weekend in Fredericksburg and bring my dog....it was over Memorial Day weekend, so most B&Bs that accepted pets in town were already booked over a month in advance. The guy that I made our reservation with was very friendly and helpful as was the lady who checked us into our room upon arrival in Fredericksburg. The location is absolutely fabulous. It is only 5 minutes from the main strip in town (we took a cab in the evenings...Stagecoach Shuttle - the driver, Cole, is a really nice guy and very responsive), the wildlife is a very nice touch, my pup LOVED running outdoors and, overall, a very peaceful setting. I really wish we would have known that cabins 7 through 17 are actually adjoined and we would have booked one of the standalone cabins...the website is deceiving regarding that matter as well as the "jacuzzi tub" which was only large enough for one person and didn't work anyway. We stayed in "cabin" #16 which was rather small, but cozy and charming.

The most disappointing part of the place was the maid service. We noticed that the maids did not come in on Saturday, so I called the front desk. The lady who answered was neither friendly or apologetic. I asked her if the maids would come in even if my dog was in the cabin. The lady on the phone acted like that was a stupid question and said the maids would absolutely be by on Sunday. We stopped by the cabin around 4 on Sunday and the maids were on site, but had not stopped in our room (we primarily just needed fresh towels and the trash removed). When my boyfriend tracked down the maid, it was clear that she wouldn't enter with the dog in the room (her english was very broken). (To be clear, my dog is ~20 pounds and has never met a stranger, so I cannot imagine that he scared her off.) At this point, the maids came over and KICKED us out of our room to do their 7 minute (maximum) cleaning job. By no means did we expect 4 or 5 star service, but this was frankly unacceptable (especially for the cost of the room as well as the 3 night minimum requirement on a holiday weekend).

Overall, we had a nice, relaxing weekend but there were some disappointments/annoyances with our lodging choice. We decided that we would return (if we brought my dog again) but book a standalone cabin and grab enough towels at the front desk upon check in to last us through our entire stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank winelover2224

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Angleton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

My husband and I stayed in cottage #5 and we absolutely loved every minute of it. They have elk in a fence and axis and whitetail deer roaming within the property. The hottub was right on the porch of our cottage and the pool was right out the door. The last day of our trip it snowed and just made it an extra bonus for us. The owner of the property came out and visited with us for over an hour. She took us around the property and showed us the other cottages. There is a common patio area we shared with 3 other cottages and our first night there we sat outside with 4 other couples by a fire and drank wine and had a wonderful visit. The bed was so comfortable that you just sunk into it. We will definitely go back and we are recommending it to all our friends. As far as the review about the "motel" rooms. That was originally turkey runs that were converted into individual rooms and they are fixed up really cute and are not misleading at all.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

I stayed during our Christmas vacation and it was horrible. Our cottage had a broken microwave, fridge, was covered in dog hair and the heater did not work. We did get the fireplace working until our cottage was filled with thick smoke. No, it was not just a little smoke it was like the cottage was on fire. We had to open the doors and windows all night, which was far from enjoyable considering it was december and the heater did not work. I would absolutly not recommend this to any one I knew.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
countryn, Owner at Country Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
This customer tried to cancel their reservation prior to their arrival and were not within the policy. She was upset because her husband had to work and would not be making the trip down. She checked in on the 22nd and left on the 26th. Not once did we get a call from this guest. After her return home, we get this complaint which took us by total surprise. First of all, she stayed in the cottage w/ 2 pets of her own. If I had pet hair in my bed, believe me, someone would get a call, however, she never made a complaint. Now, we do pride ourselves in energy conservation, so the fridge was turned off upon arrival, however, once again, a phone call would have let her know to turn the knob to "cool". The heater issue and fireplace issues were also based on users lack of knowledge to use the amenities. Since her departure, all guests are given instruction on the remote for the heater/AC and the fireplace flutes can no longer be closed by the guest. We understand that guests may have complaints and some are valid, but by not letting management know of an issue makes it impossible to fix the issue. We have staff on 24 hours a day to accommodate any need and are happy to do so. We are sorry she had a bad experience, but please call the office and let them know of issues or we cannot address them!
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

We really enjoyed our weekend getaway to Fredericksburg. We loved the cabin we stayed in!! I agree with previous review that some of the cabins come across misleading because they are attached. However, we stayed in one of the newly remodeled cabins and it was gorgeous! The attention to detail that was given to the decor was great. The bed was SUPER comfortable. I loved all of the wildlife on the property, it made the experience great. When we go back to Fredericksburg, we will stay here again! We also were able to take our chocolate lab with us which is one of the reasons that we stayed here is because of their pet policy.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

The country Inn is in town. The cottages are located approximately 5 miles from town. The complex where the cottages are located are within a gated community. There are many deer there that roam freely. The website is very misleading. The website gives the impression that all of the cottages are seperate buildings that were all rebuilt from 1860 structures. They are not! Suite 7 thru 17 is a row of motel rooms. However, the rooms are nice and the interior of them have the appearance of old structures. All of the cottage rooms have fireplaces. You can rent studios, one and two bedrooms. They are all nice and truly reflect the theme of old rustic cabins, but with modern conveniences. The televisions are small, but all have satellite with all of the popular channels including Showtime and HBO. The complex has two hot tubs. Only one is in good working condition. It is located near the swimming pool. There is one major issue that maybe a concern to you. The cancellation policy is non-negotiable. If you reserve a room or a cottage within 10 days of arriving, you pay! There are no exceptions! So, if you reserve accommodations, and have any reservations prior to your trip. Cancel before the 10-day cancellation period. Overall, the accomodations were nice. I just wished that the owners would have been a little more customer service oriented. For example, upon my departure on the final day of the trip, I called the owner to let him know that I left the cottage in good shape. He gave the impression that he was not appreciative of my business. So, I probably will not return! However, I will be fair and give this place a thumbs up!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family