“Rude staff, tasting policies a little weird and stringent”

Fredericksburg Winery
Ranked #45 of 102 things to do in Fredericksburg
Albuquerque, New Mexico
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Rude staff, tasting policies a little weird and stringent”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

I visited the tasting room recently and while it appeared quite nice in the beginning - big room with lots of bar space for patrons, some art and crafts stuff etc. when I got up to the tasting counter it all went a little sour. The woman was not very friendly (and it was not busy at the time so there was no need to be rude), and the policies of tasting wines only in one direction - their way or the highway - put me off and after the first taste (which was not very good anyway) I had had enough of the attitude and left. There are better wineries in the area so why waste my time and money here?

Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you expect courtesy, don't go here.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

The first thing I noticed was a sign on the door saying to turn off your cell phone. Very large space with art of sale and such. Looked around a little bit, then noticed a table with jams to sample. Above, was a sign that said, " you cannot taste wine after sampling jams'. i thought that was peculiar, but ok. The unpleasant lady at the wine tasting counter said we could have 5 free tastes but my husband and I couldn't share them. We always share and have never been denied this at other places. If we both approve, then we buy the wine. Then she explained more rules about tasting. I misunderstood and tried one of the dry wines but not the driest. I was not allowed to go back to something drier. Too many rules, not enough courtesy. Don't waste your time. All the other wineries we went to in town were much nicer and more relaxed and enjoyable to be in.

1 Thank desertOddity
Midland, Texas
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“delicious wines, wonderful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

we aren't wine experts, just like some wines. they staff were great at explaining their different wines. i was hesitant to go in because although i've always wanted to go to a winery tasting room, i felt 'stupid' because i don't know anything about how to properly taste or appreciate a wine. i just know if i like it or not. I am so glad this was my first experience at a tasting room! The staff was relaxed and friendly, and didn't push or make us feel inferior to anyone else there (some of who must consider themselves professionals based on the conversations I overheard).
The tasting is free except for 3 of their premium wines, which was $5 for all 3.
We ended up buying 4 bottles, and i know i'll be back.
(Later in the day, feeling more confident about entering tasting rooms, i tried another wine tasting room on main street and after about 3 minutes left. they friendliness and openness of Fredericksburg Winery may have spoiled me...)

Fritztown
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Good Wine and Good People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Very nice facility with very helpful people. Located right down town with plenty of parking. It boasts a good variety of wines in sweet, dry and even holiday flavors.

Visited February 2013
Mission, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Fredericksburg Winery”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Keep going past this place, do not enter! Absolutely the worst wine experience we have ever had. Our server was a rude woman who complained loudly to her co-worker about how many people she had to serve. The wine was horrible. Not even drinkable. Served in cheap little glasses that are too small to properly smell and taste the wine. Koolaid with alcohol. What a shame that this place can use the Fredericksburg name. Ack! I don't even like to think about it.

Visited October 2013