“Relaxing hill country getaway”
Review of The Lazy T B and B

The Lazy T B and B
Ranked #6 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Every attention to detail has been considered...even down to the perfect size coffee mugs in your room. The decor is exceptionally country and cozy....and bed was extremely comfortable. Great location to see the hill country of Texas.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 8, 2009

What a great place! I visited the Lazy T B and B with some friends and would like to go back with my husband. This is a great place for groups and a great romantic get away place for couples. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and the shower was awesome.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I recently spent a weekend at the Lazy T and not only had a blast with my friends but also had time to recharge! I stayed in the cabin and it is beautiful! The decor is lovely and the rooms are spacious! It has a nice and cozy comfy feel to it. Each morning I woke up to birds singing, it was so peaceful. It is also a beautiful setting to sit out at night, with a glass of wine, and watch the stars, they are spectacular! The Lazy T is about 10 minutes away from all the fun in Fredericksburg! We shopped and then had lunch at the Buffalo Nickle, yummy! The Becker Winery we toured was awesome and a lovely place. The Lazy T is also located about 15 minutes from Luckenback, fun times!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2009

The Lazy T has almost no ambience, is not attractively situated, is near the municipal airport (albeit there are too few flights for that to be a real annoyance), does not provide breakfast, has no internet, and doesn't even service the rooms beyond the first night. I am an experienced B&B habitue, so how did I end up in a place with so many shortcomings?

A change in plans found us in need of 2 nights lodging in the Fredericksburg, TX area on short notice, which in turn led us to an outfit named Absolute Charm that apparently handles several area establishments they call luxury B&B's. Being on the road there was no opportunity for careful consideration, so we booked a room with them at the place called the Lazy T. Mind you, these supposedly are not budget accommodations, but we found the Lazy T being operated like a budget accommodation so I assume this is true of all Absolute Charm properties. First off, instead of breakfast, you receive a $14 voucher (for 2) good at one of 4 area establishments, none of which deliver a breakfast for 2 that is much more than tea and scones for the voucher value, not to mention you have to go into town to obtain it. This seems to be Absolute Charm's normal mode of operation, which makes a mockery of the term Bed & Breakfast.

As for the Lazy T, where shall I begin. First off, there was no host on the premises, so staying there was a bit like renting a cottage, except it would be like sharing the cottage with parties unknown. There are 4 motel-like rooms off of a hall that bisects the building. Our room was nice enough, better than most motels, albeit a bit small and poorly lighted (the bedroom had but a single window, but then the view was what appeared to be trailer homes a short distance away across a small field). To be fair, the room did include a nice little wet bar with fridge and microwave and the bathroom was spacious, highlighted by a large shower stall with 2 shower heads. The bed was comfortable and there was an overstuffed couch at its end, but very little room otherwise in which to sit; in other words, you really needed some place other than the room to relax in. Well, there was the "great hall" from which the rooms led, but it had no comfortable furniture and was neither air conditioned nor well ventilated. Moreover, a large portion of the hall was occupied by an enormous table with bench seating (I don't find seats without back support relaxing). There were no porches. Believe it or not, there were metal folding chairs set up outside the front door in the full sun, presumably for guests. In the back there was a concrete ramp leading up to a hot tub with absolutely no privacy (and in full view of the trailer homes), not to mention no robes were provided. A small screen room had been constructed nearby in a grove of mostly dead oaks which was OK other than for the small gnats coming up through the floor. It contained a modest hammock and a couple of rockers. You reached it by carefully crossing a muddy wash, then picking your way through nettle and spanish bayonet; i.e., no landscaping. The house itself was patterned after a stable, which may explain the small windows, central hall (with overhead fans to stir the turgid air), and the rooms under the side wings. Since the place was new in 2008 I could perhaps forgive some of these shortcomings as growing pains, but I can't forgive the handling of our accommodation. For our second night, after coming in from a fine day of hiking at Enchanted Rock, followed by a nice dinner, and observing the bat exodus at the Old Tunnel Wildlife Management Area (which I can highly recommend) we found our room exactly as we left it. Let me add that both toilet paper and Kleenex started skimpy and had run out, with none additional on the premises. I mean, isn't it inn keeping 101 to make sure your guest rooms are ready for another night? Fortunately we had a box of Kleenex in the car. Oh, and did I mention our "locked" door sometimes just popped open unless it had been slammed?

I prefer staying at B&B's when traveling on vacation, precisely because of their ambience and relaxed breakfast routines. On that scale the Lazy T just doesn't measure up. I'm giving it 2 stars only because our room was comfortable and clean. I guess outfits like Absolute Charm and the Lazy T are bottom feeders who ride on what has made Fredericksburg a destination in the past. For me it's been just a case of live and learn, and oh by the way, I won't be back.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
kkTaylor, owner at The Lazy T B and B, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2009

We are so sorry you were so unhappy. You could have always checked out. You are the only one to have had this experience. We wish you the best in your travels.

Reviewed January 16, 2009

Thanksgiving weekend was not only a time for friends and family, but a much needed time for my husband and I to get away, reconnect and recharge. The Lazy T was just what we needed. The atmosphere was perfect, the rooms adorable, and the bed was fabulously comfortable (especially with no kids in between)! I highly recommend drinks and appetizers in front of the cozy fireplace. Dim the lights, put the radio on the fantastic local station in the area and remember why you married eachother :) You will feel like you are in your own little world at this wonderful retreat! P.S The shower with double shower heads is to die for.........

Stayed: November 2008
kkTaylor, owner at The Lazy T B and B, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2009

We are so happy that you had such a good time at The Lazy T. Come back and see us soon. We would love to make the second time even better.

kk and Scott Taylor