“Great, quaint, cozy retreat!”

Austin Street Retreat
Ranked #25 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We came to Fredericksburg, TX for a 3 days trip from San Antonio and found this place online. It looked enchanting and it was. We stayed in El Jefe and loved it. It is truly a retreat with no TV. Some may go through withdrawal with that but we did not mind. There were CD of a variety of music as well as our own. The shower/tub was an experience. It is a good jetted tub but deep. Getting in and out could be a challenge for some. A hand held shower was a new experience in a tub but not difficult to overcome. The cottage itself is loaded with charm and character. The 2 story building is comfortable without a lot of unneeded luxuries you find in fancy hotels. The "breakfast" area of the cottage is supplied with more than you would expect; fresh ground coffee, various teas, popcorn, hot chocolate. The location is within walking distance of Main St. or you can drive several blocks and walk from there. Plenty of good restaurants, shops and sites to see. Don't miss the Fromage du Monde cheese shop if you like cheese and there are abundant wine shops with tastings. We would definitely come back here! Enjoy.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Annie's two nights. The first night we arrived very late, so I was unable to unwind and relax in the huge bathtub. The second night I couldn't wait to get into the bath and relax. As I was sitting in the tub with only the light from my laptop computer (listening to music), one of the nozzle's to the whirlpool jet casing came off and water was spraying up and out. I quickly asked my husband to turn the lights on in the bathroom. To my amazement the bath water was dirty and I could smell a stagnate smell. Apparently no one had cleaned behind the nozzle in a very long time and there was dirt and dirty water buildup and a foul smell that came out with the nozzle. Yuck, all I wanted was to get out fast. The smell that permeated my nose was that of a moldy musky smell. I turned off the jets. Since there is no shower , I tried to rinse myself off the best I could with the sprayer hose. I left the nozzle off so the owner's could see how filthy it was. This ruined the romatic feel of the vacation getaway. The next morning during checkout I informed the reservation office. I was offered 20% percent off of the last night stay. Hummmm... The whole purpose of staying at the Austin retreat was a romantic getaway for a couple of days. Paid over $400.00 with taxes and received $32 + tax back. Apparently the owners thought this was a fair refund. We try to get away whenever time permits, which isn't very often. I am sure that I am not the only one who was, or will be attracted to the uniqueness and huge luxurious bathtub at Annie's...you would think that they would keep something like this very clean considering its use - it is only a matter of twisting off the nozzles and cleaning the dirty buildup from other people's bath water and whatever else is lurking back there. Nasty. Although unique, I would not recommend anyone to stay there. Still makes me shiver to think what was in the bath water with me, and on me.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank romantic1
Reviewed August 20, 2008

The accommodations at Austin Street Retreat are lovely and rustic. I have stayed in the El Jefe Suite and Annie Suite and both were beautiful and truly romantic. Anytime I need to get away from it all I find myself returning here to unwind. The setting is peaceful, relaxing and soothing. The location is only a few blocks from the main street and nestled on a quaint and quite street. The only down fall is wishing I could stay longer.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank bonnie-b00-bear
Reviewed July 6, 2008

If you're looking for a quiet, romantic, perfect place to get away with your wife/husband/partner, this is it! My wife and I spent our anniversary weekend in Fredericksburg and stayed in the "Kristen" cottage at Austin Street. We had an amazing experience overall and this room certainly played a big part in it. The suite is really spacious, the bed was comfortable and big, and the bathroom features a pretty spectacular jacuzzi tub. There's a couch for reading and a great enclosed porch with a breakfast table. And don't miss the stone courtyard with its hammock and lounge.

Bring a little wine and cheese back to the room for a little afternoon snack, maybe eat lunch at Fredericksburg Herb Farm and dinner at The Nest... you'll have an unforgettable time in a really cool little town.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2007

My husband and I prefer less conventional B&Bs, so based on Tripadvisor reviews, we chose Austin Street Retreat's El Jefe suite for a recent get-away.

Austin Street Retreat reservations are handled by Gastehaus Schmidt in Fredericksburg, and this is also where you will pick up and drop off room keys. We located Gastehaus Schmidt easily, and the employees were pleasant and efficient.

The suite consists of a bed, desk, small tables and 2 chairs in the main room, a kitchenette, bathroom, and upstairs whirlpool tub (handheld shower in the tub). Upstairs doors open to a balconette overlooking the front courtyard.

We loved the quirkiness and privacy of El Jefe, which is decorated in shabby-chic elegance. Our only complaint was the bed, which was terribly uncomfortable. As we were bringing in our bags I noticed the mattress was distinctly concave, but forgot about it until later, when we retired for the evening. It felt like a very worn-out mattress and made for a truly uncomfortable night's sleep.

Would we return to El Jefe? Unfortunately, that answer would be no, unless the mattress was replaced. Gastehaus Schmidt manages other Fredericksburg properties, and we will not hesitate to book through them again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank polyxenes
Reviewed May 17, 2007

Absolutely the most wonderful place to stay in Fredericksburg, TX. Part of the Austin Street Retreat (there are five different abodes), Kristin is a wonderful and lovely place for a romantic evening beyond all others. If you arrive late, they will leave a key under the mat for you.

"Kristin" is a cottage of sorts; self-standing and rustic interior is highlighted by beautiful interior accommodations. Dimmer switches, thus adding to that special ambience for the moment, control lighting.

It is a spacious layout that seems much more than most would ever need. There are three main areas for your comfort:
(1) The entry - with seating bench, and hutch with coffee maker, refrigerator, and sink. There are also a few commonly needed supplies (glasses, silverware, coffee and filters, creamer, and wine opener.)
(2) The bathroom -- exceedingly spacious with plenty of counter room, toilet, and jacuzzi tub that is simply divine!
(3) The Bedroom/Seating area -- a HUGE room with couch, coffee table, CD player, TV, and king-size bed. There is also a large fireplace as well.

Exiting the back door brings you into a private patio area with beautiful fountain. A table and chairs are there as well.

For the price, the visit at this place was incredible to say the least, and will certainly be a fond memory for any and all who stay there.

1 block off the Main Street shops, visitors can quickly enjoy window browsing at their leisure.

Guests must leave by 11:00 and turn in keys at the "Gästehaus Schmidt" on Main Street.

I have also stayed in "El Jefe," and "Elis" which were equally nice.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Seanzilla
A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas
Reviewed January 30, 2005

They have five cabins. I stayed in Eli's and absolutely loved it! It was beautifully decorated, had a king size bed with feather pillows, a jacuzzi tub for two, a private porch area covered in ivy and fireplace. Nice touches were added such as a CD player with a selection of CDs. It's very private and very romantic.

My only complaint is that no breakfast was provided. The rooms have a kitchen area with sink, microwave (and popcorn), coffee pot (and coffee and tea), and fridge (and milk).

I will definitely be back!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member