“Great Sweets”

Old German Bakery and Restaurant
Cuisines: American, German, European
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Texas
“Great Sweets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We only darted in to get German pastries on our way to hike them off at Enchanted Rock. Amazing! The Apple Do-nut has huge chunks of apple in it. We also got the Cherry/Cheese Danish and an Almond danish. The Crump looked incredible but there was only 2 of us and I couldn't justify it. Next time for sure.

Visited November 2012

Houston, Texas
“Place to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had been disappointed with two other restaurants that had received high reviews on tripadvisor in Fredericksburg (Auslander and Sunset Grill), but this one came through. The place was busy, but they kept things moving without rushing the meal. The german pastries made a nice start to the breakfast and the dishes were quite tasty. Could have used a little hotter oil on the potato pancakes, but overall the best meal we had in Fredericksburg. Service was excellent and the prices were more reasonable than the other places we dined at in town.

Austin
“Dang good German sausages....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We got there right at 11 on a Saturday when they open up the lunch menu. I was hungry and knew we would be walking around a lot and going to Wine festival. So, I got the 3 sausage plate with mustard and sauerkraut. It was outstanding and very tasty. My GF got what looked like the biggest crepe I'd ever seen (it isn't a crepe on the menu, it is a German word, but very much the same thing). Coffee was good, service friendly and prompt. i would go back. I'm not a big pastry fan, but they had a nice selection of German pastries and breads. I would recommend this place for sure and would go back in a heartbeat.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Wonderful old fashioned baked goods”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Great baked goods in the German tradition! All sorts of specialties that I used to see in home town bakeries that seem to be no more. I'm personally a fan of poppyseed danish, and Old German Bakery had great ones. I would have bought out the store if my wife had let me. Other baked goods looked good too.

We also had lunch there. That was nothing special. Sorry. But, it'd still go back there for the goodies.

Houston, Texas
“Worth the calories!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband & I stop here each time we're here & the goodies seem to be getting better & better! He loves their cherry danish & I love their prettzel coffee cake thing :) Yummy!!!

Visited September 2012