“Very average food and beer”

Fredericksburg Brewing Co.
Ranked #27 of 144 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Fredericksburg Brewing Company is the oldest brewpub in Texas and has been proclaimed by numerous publications as the "Best in Texas" with their brews winning awards in both U.S. and international competitions. This internationally known establishment not only serves some of the finest German brews and food, but is housed in a historical, refurbished 1890s rock building complete with fireplace, old wooden ceilings, antique lighting, copper, brass and stainless brewing equipment, and enclosed biergarten. In addition to craft beer, The Brewery offers tasty selections for lunch and dinner including German selections, burgers, pizza, salads, sandwiches and more!
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My fiancé and I went on a Monday night. The service was ok, but a definite disappointment after the great service the night before at Auslander. The restaurant was not crowded at all, but the food was slow. We were quite disappointed that we could not order food in the biergarten as it was a beautiful night. We ordered a pretzel with queso as an appetizer. The pretzel was nothing special and had too much salt. I could have gotten this pretzel from the freezer section at the grocery store. The queso was only melted Velveeta, definitely not what I expect as queso in Texas. There was no flavoring or seasoning to it at all. I had the Not So Dumb Blonde beer, and it was ok, again, nothing special. My fiancé had the Enchanted Red Rock Ale - nothing special. For dinner, I had the Cheddar Ale Soup - it tasted like Velveeta with some seasoning. It was not hot when it came out. I should have sent it back. I got sick later that night, and wonder if it was the soup. My fiancé had a burger and fries. He's a big fry guy, and didn't eat them all. Again, could have found them in the freezer section at the store. The burger, however, was the saving grace - it was pretty good. The best part about it was the bun and the pickle.

Overall, it's a restaurant that has a theme, but no identity, especially when it comes to the menu. It's a little all over the place. Also, there is more than one mention about rolls being special enough you might want more for 35 cents each - no mention or details on it either on the menu or from the waiter - they're not that special. Wouldn't even pay 5 cents for an extra one, especially when most restaurants give you free rolls. The menu never mentioned the special bun for the burger, which as I said, is one of it's best features. The wait staff spent most of the time talking to each other, eating behind the bar, and hanging out with their friends.

My fiancé was especially disappointed as this was the main place he wanted to go for dinner. We won't be back. Even for just a beer, I'd go to Auslander.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have to admit that I really only like this place because of the big beer vats. Can't speak to the quality of the beer and the food is just okay. Staff I've encountered isn't really welcoming or interactive but I do still like the setting. Can certainly find better choices in this town.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Beer had flavor and aroma of bananas! Food spicy except for one pizza. Everything else has been changed to be very HOT and spiced. We won't be back.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nice little place for a cold, crafted beer and a good burger.
The guys like to stay at the Brewery while the wives shopped.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I really want the Brewery to be better than it is. The beer is always the same and none of it is fantastic. I'd love to see some new, interesting flavors. The food is the typical fattening menu of Fredericksburg. If you're in the mood for calories their fried pickles, fried jalapenos and nachos are good. Friends love the Scotch egg. As a local I typically avoid this restaurant, but it is a favorite of the tourists and is generally packed.