“A spectacular site!”

Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
More attraction details
Owner description: Enormous pink rock dome that rises 325 feet above a small stream.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This mammoth "rock" seems to appear out of nowhere and is quite a site to behold. This was my second visit. Walked to the top on my first visit (highly recommend - at your own pace), this visit was just to reminisce.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

If this isn't on your list of places in Texas to see and experience then it should be added. The drive out from Fredericksburg is beautiful but especially as you crest the ridge that leads you down to the state park.. The view of Enchanted Rock and surrounding area is amazing.. not sure why they don't find a way to put in a scenic view area. Texas state parks are usually very well maintained and this is no different. The climb itself is as everyone says.. If it's hot outside it will take some doing but the payoff is worth it.. When it cools down I will be back just to take in the sunset from the top.. I wish a ranger was at the bottom on the way back down because I had lots of questions from the walk up and back! As my title says it would be a good idea not to leave your spouse behind as you walk up.. I saw a couple going up together and we watched from the bottom as he kept going up and left her further and further behind. When they came back down they weren't exactly speaking to each other..

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We hit the park at about 11:15 am to hike up to the top of the rock. We did half the loop around the park through Echo Canyon and then up to the top of the Rock. I enjoyed going through Echo Canyon because you get to climb over what looked like a rocky river bed that was probably at a 45 degree angle. I would not recommend it for everyone, but my nine year old daughter managed to get up it. The loop part of the trail was fairly wide, wide and smooth enough for park four wheelers to drive. So it is a fairly easy walk with the exception of the heat in September. After doing half the loop finish with a hike to the top was not super easy, although if I had hiked to the top first I probably would not walked half of the loop. The top has a spectacular view and it was a good feeling to make it to the top. The up is not difficult per say, but did take some energy. It felt like what I imagine being on the moon. I will go back, but on a cooler day, lol. I only wish the park service had better water fountains, especially on a hot day.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Might be a goodw work out for winter, at 100 degrees in summer we were panting for breath. Overall a nice park. Might be a good afternoon hike post a big Tex-Mex lunch :)

1  Thank Sangs82
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Excellent exercise. Take your time. Don't give up! The view at the top is worth the effort it takes, to get there.