“Good little hike”

Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
More attraction details
Owner description: Enormous pink rock dome that rises 325 feet above a small stream.
Sumter, South Carolina
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Good little hike”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

While in town, we visited Enchanted Rock State Park. I knew my husband would enjoy it. It was quite a hike up to the top of the mountain. I wasn't totally prepared for that and it was pretty hot and sunny the day we went. Once at the top, we had a great view of the area. There are several trails, but we only went on a little one.

3 Thank Kristen T

Helotes, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Enchanted Rock Good Physical Workout”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've lived in Texas for 29 years and I've never been to Enchanted Rock in Fredericksburg, Texas. Shame on me. I loved it!

Its about an 80 mile drive from San Antonio all paved road. Once there, it cost $7 per person to get into the park. Since it was July, we took plenty of bottled water. Good move. By the time we left, at 1pm, it was 100*. I would recommend a camelback instead of bottles and a small backpack, but keep a cooler in your vehicle for after your climb. It's easy to get dehydrated.

Don't underestimate the 425 foot climb. Although its only .6 mile trek up to the top of the rock, it's a challenge even if you are in fair shape. About 3/4 of the way up, I was winded. I'm 56. Wear hiking boots/shoes or tennis shoes. No flip flops. Take sunscreen if you burn. Take a few band aids in case you scrape yourself on the the rocks in the cave. And, take a few ibuprofen with you after your hike. It's may be tough on your feet and knees.

I carried cold water and a towel. I kept a wet cold towel on my neck to keep myself cool, drank plenty of water, and wore sunscreen. I still got red.

At the top of the rock, we went into the cave and climbed down through the cave some distance. That was a lot of fun, but there are some tight spaces so if you don't like confined spaces, you may not like that. Carry a flashlight. You'll need it for some cave areas and for finding footing. And, did I mention the Daddy Long Leg spiders on the ceiling. They scurry away when you shine the light on them but they are there.

When we emerged from the cave, and had to climb some distance back up to the top where our bags and other friends were. It's a great view from the top of the rock. I'd like to return when it's cooler. It's great exercise, challenging and a great starting place if you plan to climb higher rocks in the future. The walk down isn't too bad even after all the climbing and heat.

As a treat after, we went back to Fredericksburg and had lunch. It gave a chance to rest, cool off, talk about our trip and hydrate. Then, it was back to San Antonio. I'll definitely return again.

3 Thank CollegeFamilyofFive
Hannibal, Missouri
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Enchanted Rock”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Beautiful scenery and unexpected crowds of rock climbers during spring break. Great place to visit when everyone goes back to work.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Georgia D
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Even though I was sick & sniffly, I was so happy we went. Beautiful hot day in July, but we had our camelbaks filled with water, so we were good. Definitely recommend a camelbak instead of holding a water bottle and/or small backpack. Hat, sunglasses, maybe a bandana or scarf if it gets windy, which it did. And don't forget a camera. There's some nice trails you can take as well. The main way up, the summit trail, is tough for anyone who has bad feet or knees. You can come down in different trail/pathways. Definitely wear sneakers or hiking shoes, not flip flops, you're liable to slip. We hope to do this hike again!

houston
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wish I lived closer:(”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This place is great! We went early (8:30am) to try to beat the crowds and the heat and had a great time. We went to the top and looking down there seems to be a great trail system although we didn't have time to hike. Not too many people at the time we were there and regardless of crowds the view is great. Do bring water especially noon/afternoon.
Dog friendly (leashed).