“Not to be Missed...Make it a Destination.”

National Museum of the Pacific War
Book In Advance
More Info
$59.99*
and up
San Antonio Haunted Legends Segway Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Formerly the Nimitz Museum, the complex is now America's only museum centered on World War II's Pacific campaign. Since 1968, the Museum has expanded to occupy a six-acre campus and gained a reputation as one of the premier military museums in the nation. Over the years the Museum was upgraded and enlarged, and the campus grew to accommodate the Memorial Courtyard, the Plaza of Presidents and the Japanese Garden of Peace. We opened the expanded George H. W. Bush Gallery in 2009. The Gallery's state-of-the-art 33,000 square foot exhibition features 40 media installations, approximately 900 artifacts in 97 climate-controlled cases, 15 macro-artifacts, and hundreds of photographs. Two blocks east of the main campus is the Pacific Combat Zone. Recently reopened after an $8 million renovation. The PCZ is also home to our popular WWII Pacific Combat Program that takes place on set weekends throughout the year.
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Not to be Missed...Make it a Destination.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Located in Fredericksburg, TX the museum is like none other that I have visited anywhere in any city..in or out of the United States. Great thought was taken as to the location, displays, construction and interactive participation by visitors. This is not just for the "Baby Boomer" generation. This is the world's history and is explained in a jumbled, confusing display of equipment, historical document, visual and auditory bombardment of actual footage of ground, air and sea engagements with military forces. The "jumbled" exhibits are designed to cause one confusion, loss both of mind and body within the buildings displays...this is by designed to simulate the all encompassing loss of self, direction, troops and at times purpose of war. We were told that to experience the full effect wwe would need 2 days to complete the tours and see all the exhibits. It really takes about 2 and 1/2 days...and it is well worth anyone's time, energy and attention to learn, understand and remember why so many gave so much for all who stand before each exhibit ...take the trip... you will be enriched.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“highly recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

this was a great experience. We took our daughter 15 and she was interested. this is a hands on museum.

Visited May 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Good information but confusing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I found this museum a bit confusing. They did a pretty good job providing the perspective leading up to WWII. However, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to follow the timeline was on the right-hand wall or a similar one on the opposite wall. Which to follow? Or do you bounce back and forth, side to side?
When I got to Pearl Harbor I was able to follow the chronology fairly well. However there were times when I came to forks in the path and had to chose one with no help on which one would lead me logically on from what I had just experienced. Usually there were titles for battles for these areas but I'm not a historian and don't know how they flowed on a timeline or if they were taking place at the same time.
Although I was sometimes uncertain where to go, the information in each section was concise and informative - I wasn't subjected to a 20-minute lecture on each battle.

Houston, Texas, United States
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Absolute amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

The museum of the Pacific War is unlike any other. With sound tracks and photos you feel the impact of WWII. An amazing display of pieces of WWII. You'll go there expecting a museum but time will pass quickly and you'll appreciate that the ticket is good for two days. One day just will not cover the time you'll want to spend. It's amazing.

Edmond, OK
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“I think my husband could have spent a lot more time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

What a wonderful quality museum! My husband and I were here for a good 3 hours maybe 4 and he was completely intertained the whole time! I thought the museum was very thoughtfully planned out. The way they would automatically open the exhibit door for you then light up the sections as you should read them drawing you in the correct order of events at the Pearl Harbor attact was just like you were there. The only thing I would like to make note of is that I am a shorter person of 5'2" and I felt as though I was looking up at all of the exhibits most of the time. They also offered a live reenactment offsite you could go to as well when we were there. I loved seeing the high school American History kids on a field trip there working on a scavenger hunt type lesson. Such a great learning opportunity for all ages.