“Good information but confusing”

National Museum of the Pacific War
Book In Advance
More Info
$96.33*
and up
Texas LBJ Ranch and Hill Country Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Formerly the Nimitz Museum, the complex is now the only museum in the Continental United States centered on World War II's Pacific campaign. Since 1968, the Museum has expanded to occupy a six-acre campus and gained a reputation as one of the premier military museums in the nation. Over the years the Museum was upgraded and enlarged, and the campus grew to accommodate the Memorial Courtyard, the Plaza of Presidents and the Japanese Garden of Peace. We opened the expanded George H. W. Bush Gallery in 2009. The Gallery's state-of-the-art 33,000 square foot exhibition features 40 media installations, approximately 900 artifacts in 97 climate-controlled cases, 15 macro-artifacts, and hundreds of photographs. Two blocks east of the main campus is the Pacific Combat Zone. Recently reopened after an $8 million renovation. The PCZ is also home to our popular WWII Pacific Combat Program that takes place on set weekends throughout the year.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I found this museum a bit confusing. They did a pretty good job providing the perspective leading up to WWII. However, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to follow the timeline was on the right-hand wall or a similar one on the opposite wall. Which to follow? Or do you bounce back and forth, side to side?
When I got to Pearl Harbor I was able to follow the chronology fairly well. However there were times when I came to forks in the path and had to chose one with no help on which one would lead me logically on from what I had just experienced. Usually there were titles for battles for these areas but I'm not a historian and don't know how they flowed on a timeline or if they were taking place at the same time.
Although I was sometimes uncertain where to go, the information in each section was concise and informative - I wasn't subjected to a 20-minute lecture on each battle.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,532)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"men and women"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The museum of the Pacific War is unlike any other. With sound tracks and photos you feel the impact of WWII. An amazing display of pieces of WWII. You'll go there expecting a museum but time will pass quickly and you'll appreciate that the ticket is good for two days. One day just will not cover the time you'll want to spend. It's amazing.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

What a wonderful quality museum! My husband and I were here for a good 3 hours maybe 4 and he was completely intertained the whole time! I thought the museum was very thoughtfully planned out. The way they would automatically open the exhibit door for you then light up the sections as you should read them drawing you in the correct order of events at the Pearl Harbor attact was just like you were there. The only thing I would like to make note of is that I am a shorter person of 5'2" and I felt as though I was looking up at all of the exhibits most of the time. They also offered a live reenactment offsite you could go to as well when we were there. I loved seeing the high school American History kids on a field trip there working on a scavenger hunt type lesson. Such a great learning opportunity for all ages.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This museum could easily be in Washington, D.C. It does a wonderful job of presenting the history of the WWII in the Pacific. The war in the Pacific was complicated and involved a lot of strategy. This museum presents all the information in a clear manner. However, there is so much to learn I would do it in small sessions. The tickets are good for 48 hrs., so don't feel you must see all of it at once. The ticket also includes two other sites in Fredericksburg, thus making it a good value.