“Don't miss the Garden of Peace”

National Museum of the Pacific War
$109.00*
Texas Hill Country and LBJ Ranch Tour with Wine Tasting Options
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Formerly the Nimitz Museum, the complex is now America's only museum centered on World War II's Pacific campaign. Since 1968, the Museum has expanded to occupy a six-acre campus and gained a reputation as one of the premier military museums in the nation. Over the years the Museum was upgraded and enlarged, and the campus grew to accommodate the Memorial Courtyard, the Plaza of Presidents and the Japanese Garden of Peace. We opened the expanded George H. W. Bush Gallery in 2009. The Gallery's state-of-the-art 33,000 square foot exhibition features 40 media installations, approximately 900 artifacts in 97 climate-controlled cases, 15 macro-artifacts, and hundreds of photographs. Two blocks east of the main campus is the Pacific Combat Zone. Recently reopened after an $8 million renovation. The PCZ is also home to our popular WWII Pacific Combat Program that takes place on set weekends throughout the year.
Reviewed September 6, 2011

It is a Japanese garden and it is a gift from the People of Japan to the People of the United States. It is truly magnificent and peaceful. It is a great place to sit and meditate after going through the museum.

1  Thank MargGlz
Write a ReviewReviews (2,402)

Reviewed September 6, 2011

This was our second visit and it was just as wonderful as the first. What made this one special was the re-enactment we went to. I can't stress enough how wonderful it was. They did great job.

1  Thank Samantha C
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Get there early eat first then stroll through the halls. There is alot to see. You can pick and choose what you want to see. I recommend the submarine area. Pretty cool. Watch some of the videos. I especially like all the jeeps, airlplanes and tanks. I really left there feeling that I had learned things of importance. Its worth it.

2  Thank dolson50
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This museum was our number 1 reason for our visit to Fredericksburg. My hubby's father served in the Pacific War; we were thrilled beyond belief to find an entire room devoted to the site in which he served. The photos helped my hubby depict his dad in action and the beach no doubt on which he actually walked as he prepared for battle. This answered a lot of questions for us. We went away so thankful for the opportunity to view this meaningful presentation. This museum is world-class in every way. Well worth a full day or more to take your time to go through.

1  Thank elmiragegranny
Reviewed August 13, 2011

The previous reviews have said it all. I am in San Antonio for a few weeks on business and found this while looking around TA. I would have never expected to find such a world class museum in a small town in the Texas hills. If you are in San Antonio, or anywhere remotely close to Fredericksburg, this museum is well worth the drive. The staff, facilities, and presentation are all top notch. I spent 5 hours at the museum and wish I could have come back for another day. The price of admission is good for 2 days as others have mentioned. I HIGHLY recommend.

1  Thank vol27970