“Sorry, but I hated it”
Review of Rockbox Theater

Rockbox Theater
More attraction details
Owner description: YOUR TICKET TO THE BRIGHTEST STARS Imagine seeing and hearing George Strait, Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Willie Nelson, The Eagles, and even The Beatles -- live, up-close in concert right here in Fredericksburg! The Rockbox Theater brings you an ever changing cast of world-class Tribute Artists in an intimate setting with state of the art lighting and sound. Our unique variety of wholesome entertainment includes spot-on tributes to Alan Jackson, Rod Stewart, Brooks & Dunn, The Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elton John, Reba McEntire, Neil Diamond, Shania Twain and many more! We're Texas Hill Country's premier live music theater located just 99 steps off historic Main Street in Fredericksburg, Texas.
Texas, the Lone Star State
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 268 helpful votes
“Sorry, but I hated it”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I don't want to be mean, because the Rock Box is a nice, clean, family-oriented show, and those are hard to find these days. I appreciated that their Christmas show incorporated Scripture and was very God-centered. In this day and age, that's so refreshing for a public venue!

So, I applaud the Rock Box for presenting such a wholesome show. But musically speaking, it was almost unendurably bad. Cheap arrangements, bad songs, canned trax in the background, and basically talentless people on-stage. One or two nice voices in the cast (especially the talented African-American lady, who sang some powerful gospel and blues tunes), but I doubt most of these people could get hired in the real world. The impression I got is that the lead singers own the place, and that's the only way they'd ever be allowed to sing publicly.

The comedy acts also wore thin very, very quickly. The Barney Fife impersonator was funny for about three minutes, but after two hours, he was painful to watch.

If you aren't very picky, musically speaking, and want a nice clean show, I'm sure you'd enjoy the Rock Box. I, personally, could never force myself to go back.

Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome show”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Talented performers!!! I enjoyed the show. I hope they add more restrooms because the line gets too long whenever the audience are given a restroom break.

Fredericksburg, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Rockbox Rocks!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We live here in Fredericksburg and have attended many times - always enjoying the show! Larry who plays Barney Fife is absolutely excellent and keeps us rolling on the floor laughing. :-) You can always count on the performances to be clean and uplifting and thoroughly entertaining. And - the same crew that keeps us entertained there at the Rockbox - are also our praise team at church on Sunday! Now that's saying a lot isn't it? The Hearns are wonderful people who love the Lord! On your visit, come to Oak Hills Church at 10:30 Sunday morning and be blessed by wonderful praise music and then enjoy a sermon by Max Lucado. Oak Hills Church-Fredericksburg is a satelite church of the one in San Antonio.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank M. G
Texas City, Texas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Fun Mix of Songs.”
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We caught this show on a weekend trip to Fredericksburg. It was fun and appropriate for all ages. They have a good mix of songs, something for everyone. I'm glad we went and enjoyed the warm cookies at intermission. The theater is just a block from Main Street, so we went to dinner and then walked over to the theater. The group puts forth a ton of energy for the show, and they have some really great singers.

Victoria, Texas
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“Rocked at Rockbox!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Awesome entertainment on New Year's Eve...enjoyed the show. A variety of talent showcased during the performance. Good for all ages! The theater is very comfortable ...with not a bad seat in the house! I had seen the show before, but some of the entertainers were new since my last visit. Would highly recommend during your stay in town!!!

1 Thank gayla