“Convention Hotel”

The Worthington Renaissance Fort Worth Hotel
Ranked #16 of 114 Hotels in Fort Worth
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The hotel attracts conferences and meetings but is not a traveler's hotel; nor is it a place that Platinum Level guests want to stay. The staff is there just to register guests. No greetings, minimum interaction. We were originally placed in Room 1241. There was a periodic strange motor noise. After telling us that was not possible, Security was able to identify it as the elevator motor. They did move us after we asked a couple times. When I mentioned it the next morning, the manager on duty said, yes they knew it and, rather jokingly said we were lucky they didn't give us 1240 which was worse. Appetizers in the bar were very good; try the fried green tomatoes. Since the Worthington Club was not open on weekends, they did offer breakfast and I have to admit the service there was wonderful and the food delicious - especially the sausage gravy!

Room Tip: Do not accept Rooms 1240 and 1241 - you will hear motor news every time anyone uses the elevator!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Was here on a business trip.

The positives: The room was nice & clean. Room service, while pricey, is fast and decent. Lots of places to eat and get liquid courage within walking distance. Also, the restaurant within the hotel, Vidalia, is pretty good. Loved their cheeseburgers. It is also a pet-friendly hotel.

The negatives: And the reason for the 3 stars is the amount of noise you can hear when in the room. Every time a door shuts or someone talks in the hallway or has a conversation in their room, you can hear it distinctly. There are alot of business folks that stay here & they are on their phones constantly. I am not sensitive-eared but it's been a while since I've been to a hotel where this became such a nuisance. So if you're here on a quick business trip, noise shouldn't matter that much but if you're vacationing in Ft Worth, I'd go elsewhere. Also, parking can become an issue depending on when you check in as lots of conventions are usually going on on any given day. Oh, and you pay for wi-fi.

1  Thank easyassundaymorning
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance Worthington Hotel downtown Fort Worth last Wednesday through Friday as part of a business conference. I knew there were going to be problems when I could not find a parking space in the hotel garage and had to park down the street. Then when I went to check in I was told there were no rooms available and to come back. Later I got in a long line with others from the conference and ended up with a room that was exactly what I asked not to get, which was a room next to the elevator (because of the noise) and double beds instead of a king. Many in my group did not get a room until later that night because the hotel had "overbooked" as one desk clerk admitted. The rooms were clean and nice but I was awoken from sleep several times overnight when the elevator door opened with a doorbell loud "bing" and late night guest would loudly laugh and talk just outside my room. The room service breakfast was overpriced ($8.00 for oatmeal? $12.00 for coffee? give me a break) but there was nothing else open in the morning at the hoel if you are an early bird. I finally found a space to park my car in the hotel garage and paid $16.00 daily for the privilege of not wanting to drive anyway for fear I would not find another parking space later. When I later talked to a hotel manager about the issues, I was treated to condescending and arrogant attitude of someone who felt the hotel had done nothing wrong and if I did not like it should take my business elsewhere (which is exactly what I planned to do in the future).

Room Tip: Make sure you insist on a room away from ice machine or elevator if you want to avoid a sleepless ni...
2  Thank westcott360
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The most irritating part of my stay at this hotel were the oven hot elevators to the attached parking garage...even in the morning! The problem seems to be that the lights in the elevator give off a tremendous amount of heat, I put my hand out and each little bulb is like a flame and they cover the roof of the elevator. I had to go out to my car and few times and it was miserable...the actual parking garage is much cooler even at the hottest part of the day. It felt like about 115 in the elevators. Apparently management at the hotel does not use them. The lack of a coffee maker was irritating, most little hotels have complimentary coffe makers. The towels were rough also. Beds pretty good. No refrigerator either. You don't get much for the price of the room. The hotel elevators also seem like an after thought. Definitely the low point of my visit. And why does the WIFI cost so much? And no pool which is a minus.

Room Tip: Recomend checking to see if you can get a refrigerator for the room...the restaurant prices around t...
1  Thank Hoodoo2013
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I am currently in the hotel for a work conference. So far, here is my evaluation of the place.

Service: The staff seems attentive. However they seemed completely unprepared at check in for the 300 people attending this conference. There were only two people at the check-in desk and eventually they moved it up for four. I was promised a phone call when my room was ready that never came. However, I also made a number of other requests, all of which were done promptly this far.

Parking: Ridiclous. First, I am handicapped and the "on-site" parking is about a block and half away for the main entrance. Most hotels in urban areas with limited parking allow persons with a handicap to use the valet at a free or discounted rate. Not this place. So I am forced to play the exorbitant amount for valet parking. There doesn't seem to be enough space in the self-park garage at $16 a night. So again, you are forced to use the valet at $22 a night. The valets were helpful with directions and I love that I can call down and have my car waiting for me.

Rooms: The room size is great. The bed is pretty comfortable. The bathroom counter could have been cleaned a little better but all in all I didn't see anything too bad. My MAJOR issue with the room/hotel is the lack of free Wi-Fi in the rooms. $13 or $16 a night for wi-fi in the room. Who doesn't do free wi-fi in 2013? Also, the place isn't exactly soundproof. You can hear people in their rooms from the hallway and vice versa.

Amenities: There is no real "business center." It's a copy machine inside a gift shop and even that closes at 9pm. The meeting rooms are large and accommodating. I hear the fitness center is pretty good but I haven't been down there yet.

Location: This is what you are paying for. Walking distance to anything worth seeing downtown. Excellent location.

The hotel itself is a pretty good hotel. But the price gouging on the parking and Internet really leave a bad taste in my mouth. Would I stay here again? Maybe. But I would definitely keep my eyes open for other options.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank drwatsonjd
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

On sundance sqr. Texas elegant. Walk to anywhere. Big, comfortable quiet room. Great hotel for business conference. Parking is pricey. Never ate at hotel. Helpful, friendly staff. No pool. 2nd stay, both good. Wifi only in lobby and mez.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I attended a late showing of "Four Day Weekend" (MUST SEE!), which is right around the corner from the hotel, and decided to stay the night and forego the long drive home. Except for the bathroom, the hotel room itself was fine. The bed was very comfortable. My complaint is that there is no buffer of sound from the hallway. It's as if we left the door to the room wide open all night. The hallway noise kept us awake most of the night.

Complaint #2; the hotel restaurant. The breakfast buffet wasn't worth the money. Not sure if the ladies at the omlet station were new, but they clearly were not experienced in making omlets. Also, there were also lots of tables available, but there was a 15-minute wait to be seated. Maybe short-staffed?

Lastly, there were a few strands of someone else's hair in the tub. Luckily I had my own cleaning supplies. It was late and I didn't want the hassle of asking and waiting for the cleaning crew to return or switch rooms. I just cleaned it.

Overall, for the money we spent on that overnight visit, I wish we'd just driven the hour's drive home.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple