“Perfectly acceptable business hotel”

The Worthington Renaissance Fort Worth Hotel
Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Fort Worth
New York, NY
“Perfectly acceptable business hotel”
Reviewed June 7, 2008

The Worthington is a good center-city business hotel with no particular flourishes and some perplexing deficits, which don't make sense at the premium (for a second-tier Texas downtown) rates the hotel collects.

The room I stayed in was clean and was comfortable in size and furnishing but there were no stand-out guest-friendly gestures (old-fashioned television, old-fashioned bath/shower combo, surcharged internet, no complimentary water, no real newspaper in the morning (USA Today, no thanks!). It would be an amazing hotel that had all of these, but at least one thoughtful gesture is really essential.

Service was a mixed bag.

On the plus side, the front desk and phone operators were friendly and efficient, and the room service was prompt and at proper temperature. (I didn't get anything complicated, so I can't opine on the room-service kitchen.)

On the negative side, the parking valets refused to take my bags in, and pointed to some luggage carts saying I could help myself. Another negative: the wake-up calls were consistently late.

I didn't sample the bar, restaurant or gym facilities, so can't say anything about them.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I have stayed at the Worthington several times now on business and I could not be happier with their hotel.
First, the location is great. There are so many cool things to do within walking distance- shopping, bars (Flying Saucer) and resturants (Big Daddys).
The customer service here could not be better. I have had great luck with the room service, the fitness center, the lounge, and the rooms are so comfortable and sound proof!
I know the price is rather high- especially when valet is thrown into your cost- but I feel (after staying at all the others downtown Ft. Worth) that this one is the best.

Stayed May 2008
Phoenix
Reviewed May 16, 2008

I had to travel to Fort Worth for a business trip for a week and per the clients suggestion I stayed at the Renaissance Worthington Hotel. My first surprise was while talking to the travel agent was the rather exorbitant pricing. Since the client suggested the location I went ahead and stayed there. Bad idea.

The lobby area of the Worthington seemed rather posh and upscale so I began to think that maybe the ridiculous per night charge just might be worth it. Wrong. Upon check in I found that valet parking was 20 bucks per day. Self parking was 10. I opted for self parking and proceeded to the parking garage. The person at the check in desk did not validate my card to access the garage so I had to use the "ticket machine" to get in. Ok, small problem but that indeed set the tone for the rest of the stay.

I went to my room and upon entering it noticed a very foul smell. I shortly found the source of the smell. It was a backed up bathroom sink complete with whisker stubble and soap residue. What happened to the cleaning crew? I was rather tired, and it was quite late so I opted to deal with the situation in the morning.

After unpacking I grabbed the mini bar key that was given to me during check in and opened the door to what I thought would be the mini bar. When the cabinet door opened all I saw was a gapping hole where the mini bar was supposed to be. UGH! Now I have 3 issues to deal with in the morning......

I called the desk in the morning and someone was sent up to deal with the sink - It was fixed by the time I returned from the client offices. The mini bar never appeared during my entire stay. I had to stop by the desk and have my card activated for parking.

Long story short.

1. Make sure to get your self parking card activated
2. Make sure you actually have a mini bar (drinks are cheaper from the mini bar)
3. If you need Internet access be prepared to pay 10 bucks per day
4. One bottle of beer via room service is 5 bucks
5. On the floor I was on, there was only one ice machine that was located about 150 yards from my room
6. There is no smoking in the entire hotel facility

I will not be staying at this hotel on my next business trip to Fort Worth.

• Liked — It was right across the street from the financial client's offices
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, lack of responsiveness, pricing, fees, and no smoking policy
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Before planning a long weekend in Ft. Worth, we looked at all the local hotel ratings on Trip Advisor before selecting the Renaissance Worthington -- and are we glad we did! I have nothing negative to say about this hotel (which is pretty rare). It is easy to get to, the valet parking (although, yes, it is about $20/day) is quick & convenient, the hotel staff are attentive & polite, the hotel is clean, and the rooms are well decorated (I recommend the club level -- complimentary mini water bottles, fresh fruit & pretzels on the weekend; continental breakfast, evening snacks & honor bar on weekdays). Ask for the city view. Directly across the street is a great Mexican restaurant and there are many other great shops & restaurant within easy walking distance (don't bother with Risckey's BBQ across the street; it wasn't all it was cracked up to be). Anyway, back to the hotel...the room rate was competitive & it was well worth the money. P.S. If you stay on the club level, request a room away from the lobby, as it gets a bit loud during cocktail hour and after bar time.

• Liked — It was clean & inviting.
  • Disliked — $20/day valet parking
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Corsicana, TX
Reviewed January 8, 2008

We selected this hotel based on it's location. Since we were finalizing an Adoption and had to be at the courthouse at 7:30am we wanted to be close to downtown.
When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by friendly, efficient staff. We told them why we were staying at the hotel and they gave us a warm congrats. We checked into our rooms and took a short walk to the nearby park. When we arrived back to our room the staff had left us a gift for our daughter with a note of congratulations. It was so special and unexpected and it made the weekend perfect.
The room was very spacious and clean. The hotel is in a great location with shops across the street and a park nearby. My mom brought her small poodle since the hotel is pet friendly and she was immediately impressed with the dog biscuits in the lobby and great pet walking area around the hotel. The hotel was very quiet which was great when putting baby to sleep. The beds were comfortable and the breakfast spread was so much more than just muffins and bagels.
We will stay at this hotel again and will highly recommend it to all our friends and family.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed January 3, 2008

We stayed here for our friend's wedding. The location is great, right there in downtown Fort Worth, with tons of good restaurants and bars. The rooms were spacious and very nice, however our air conditioning was broken. We didn't notice it that much the first night (maybe we drank too much), but the second night was unbearable. The good news though? When we called down to check out, we mentioned that the room was great except for the air conditioning. The manager said that he would send someone to our room. We assumed that they would send someone to check out the thermostat. To our surprise, the manager himself came up to apologize for the thermostat and refunded us one night's stay! Can you believe that? We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank sctweety
Texas
Reviewed November 24, 2007

Don't get me wrong, this hotel was very nice, the room was great, the view was decent, but this hotel was too expensive for what you get. They try to nickel and dime you for everything. You're treated like an open cash register - and you feel like a sucker.

A lot of other hotels will charge extra for some things, but usually not to this extent. $20.00 for parking overnight? $5 for M & M's? $10 for internet? Most hotels have this stuff for free (well, maybe not the M & M's). The ironic thing is, all the cheaper hotels include free wireless internet, and all the more expensive hotels are trying to rip you off for it.

The kicker - they billed me twice, once for $153 and once for $154. When I called the front desk, they looked it up, said they couldn't find it because it was too far back (11 days) and transferred me to accounting. When transferred to accounting, I received an automated message saying to call back at another time, they had closed.

Pros:
Excellent Rooms, Great Fitness Center & Sauna, Nice Location

Cons:
Mediocre service, Accounting errors (for me at least), Expect to PAY (a LOT) for every extra imaginable, including internet

• Liked — Excellent Room, Great Bed & Pillows
  • Disliked — Accounting (Double-Charged) & Price
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank OccasionalTraveler79