“Nothing out of this world”

Magnuson Hotel Fossil Creek
Ranked #82 of 111 Hotels in Fort Worth
Chickasha, Oklahoma
“Nothing out of this world”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I made reservations through Hotwire and was surprised that we got a Best Western. I thought it would be a great experience. We arrived about 10 pm on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend. We have 2 children age 2 and under, so I went in to check things out and take our luggage up to the room. I got to the room we had reserved and it was so hot in there WITH the air conditioner on that I went back to the front desk to ask for another room. The weekend desk staff was very accommodating and gave us a King Jacuzzi suite. The air conditioning worked in that room but the compressor was going out of the unit and made very loud noises every 15-30 minutes, so between our baby and the a/c unit, we got very little sleep the second night. I mentioned it to the General Manager on Saturday morning because he was working the front desk. He explained that he was waiting on new units to be sent to install. When we check out on Monday, the person at the front desk was very nice and when I mentioned the a/c again, she wanted to make sure I had told the general manager.

It was clean and the continental breakfast was a basic breakfast. It has a great location and is close to several restaurants and easy access to I35.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed here while having my household goods packed and picked up for a move to Hawaii. My usual place was not offering discounts and the rate at this hotel was about $35/night less. The room was okay, although the air conditioner was not turned on until I arrived and given the heat wave with 100 degree-plus temperatures, it was unbearable for the first few hours. I had to leave and return later in order to let the AC cool the room sufficiently to get some sleep.

I liked the location, close to the freeway, yet far enough that there was no highway noise. There are several restaurants within walking distance and several more just across the freeway. There is shopping a short distance north on I-35. Downtown Fort Worth is only about ten miles. There are several very nice golf courses near this hotel. The Texas Motor Speedway is about seventeen miles north. Burlington Northern Sante Fe railroad corporate HQ is about one mile west of this location.

I did not try the free breakfast because there were several nice restaurants close to the hotel. I would stay here again, but people not familiar with the local area might struggle a bit with the traffic along Interstate 35. Knowing your way around the surface streets to avoid the freeway traffic makes this location a lot more tolerable.

Room Tip: Prepay on Travel Advisor for the best rates and join Best Western's frequent stay program
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
wisconsin
Reviewed February 23, 2011

rooms were unkempt. Dust in every corner. rude staff. ran out of juice in the morning. stale muffins. poorly lit rooms. overall poor excuse for lodging. did i mention rude staff....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I have spent a total of about 6wks in the hotel over the course of 3 months in and out of DFW on business. It is the hotel the company selects so I had no other choices. The first stay wasn't bad but it was also a learning experience. If you want anything done, you absolutely have to go directly to the manager himself. In the time I spent there, a handful of things did go wrong and they were not handled but the staff until I spoke directly with the manager. That was a reccuring event, the night time staff was almost non existent. They cannot be reached by phone, you have to walk to the front desk and when they do finally appear you get the run around. There is a lady that works during the day and she is out of this world rude and unhelpful. I might have chalked this up to me catching her on a bad day but she had the same expressionless and rude attitude everytime whether it was towards me or other guests.
The rooms are average at best, beds are okay, several bathrooms with broken tiles. Lower level is loud and almost impossible to get a full nights sleep without someone or something interrupting you. 3rd floor (the top floor) is much quieter as you might imagine but fitting the luggage cart and yourself on/off the elevator is harder than it should be due to the lack of space provided. The luggage cart wheels also lock up on the carpeted hallways so you find yourself making sudden jerking stops you weren't expecting.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
West Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights. First room shown to us smelled of moldmildew and management agareed. Second room fwe stayed in, fridge was defrosting & water leaked down onto food we had inside. Internet and outside phone line did not work for almost 2 days. Dirty, old carpeting. Quiet at night. Loose tiles in bathroom. toilet loose, ran out of tissues.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night to visit some friends during the holidays on our way from Fort Hood to OKC. We had a very good stay here. The rooms were clean and staff was nice. The hotel is close to many restaurants and right off 35W. The breakfast was pretty good. They had the standard continental breakfast fare, along with the make your own waffles. We got a great rate on Expedia and would definitely stay here again when we visit our friends in Fort Worth.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed November 25, 2005

Just spent the night at this location. We went to Ft. Worth for Thanksgiving and spent the night in this hotel. I had read the mixed reviews previously. A five star hotel it is not, but it is adequate and clean and the staff were all very friendly. They have a free breakfast, but we slept in. I would not hesistate staying here again

Stayed November 2005