“Not so much”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I consider myself a Mexican food connoisseur. I eat it at least once a week. I can honestly say this was some of the worst I have had in some time. This assessment is further damaging given the fact that D/FW is home to some of the BEST Mexican food in Texas (See review on Mia's in Dallas). Also Los Vaquero's just up the street or Cantina Laredo or so many others would be better choices.

The ugliness started with the chips. Seriously...if you can't make good chips then you might as well hang it up. They were cold and greasy. Not a good combination. The salsa was fair. The next item that came out was an order of queso. Again, who can screw up Queso? Answer: El Rancho Grande. It was a thick glob of cold, processed cheese that had a disconcerting SWEET taste. It was just awful. It didn't help that you had to eat it with the aforementioned chips.

I also had guacamole. It was standard guac...nothing special. We ordered chicken fajitas which were not brought out on the standard sizzling platter, but on a plate with a few sautéed onions strewn about. The chicken was more cold than it was hot. The corn tortillas were nothing to write home about. About the only item that got any sort of praise from our group of 10 was a chalupa.

Our server was nice, but he rarely came by.

I had been to this place years ago and had better memories of it. It was before the Stockyard's had become so filled with tourists. Perhaps el Rancho has lowered its standards as a result. It did become crowded over the course of the time we were there. But there are just too many better options for great Mexican food to waste your time here.

There are newer reviews for El Rancho Grande Restaurante

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

It was okay Tex-Mex. I have definitely had better. The service was decent and it was clean. The beer was cold too. I probably won't be back but hey, everyone's taste buds are different.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I eat here at least once a month and have never been disappointed. The service is great, and food is awesome and fresh.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is one of our default places to eat when eating in Fort Worth. I grew up in the area, and have eaten there off and on since the 70's. We were just there in early January and it was as good as I remember (though I didn't like the salsa this time around - it was good, don't get me wrong - just not to my taste). The cheese enchiladas were fantastic, and my wife's carne asada was excellent.

Our service was good, the food came out hot and all together, and at a reasonable price. We'll be back for future trips to FTW.

1  Thank Swimfins
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Highly recommend El Rancho Grande if you are looking for great Tex-Mex food in a good atmosphere. This is located closed to the historic Stockyards of Fort Worth and is a good family restaurant with good prices, service & atmosphere. Parking is a little tight sometimes in rush hours, but worth it. If you are visiting from out of town, make this a must stop for great Tex-Mex food. A favorite of locals.

2  Thank talltexas