“Reasonably good, dependable food…”

la Madeleine French Bakery & Cafe Camp Bowie Blvd
Ranked #2 of 17 Bakeries in Fort Worth
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Lately, I started to take out food from La Madeleine at Camp Bowie again. Quite some time ago, I had a not very pleasant experience placing a take-out order on-line, around the time when that service had just been introduced – when I arrived, personnel couldn’t find the order, lots of shouting among them, utter confusion, long wait – , but I thought I give it a try again.

The counter people do now seem to be more organized, though occasionally the order is handled in a bit incoherent way, so wait can then be longer than expected. It was last week, I believe, when they even had a “greeter” close to the entrance, greeting patrons with a cheerful “bonjour”… I guess, so that everybody coming in would know: we are now in a “French café”… tacky, I thought. The last couple of times I went to La Madeleine, no more “greeter”… better that way…

I am pretty much set in what I order:

tomato-basil soup (very good);

one of the salads…
Can’t go wrong there, you would think, right? But strangely enough, their Cesar’s salad didn’t have real croutons (roasted cubes of white bread) on it, only thinly sliced pieces of (not roasted) regular, a bit chewey rye bread… pretty bad for a place that thinks of itself as being up-scale;

one half of or a whole rosemary chicken (beats any roasted chicken, including Central Market’s, in the area);

or, one of the sandwiches (good, but some are a bit bland such as the French dip).

I haven’t tried their quiches – sorry, but I don’t care for quiches – , or crêpes – had crêpes bretonnes (wonderful) in crêperies in Britanny, and I doubt I can get something coming even close to crêpes bretonnes, here in Fort Worth.

Prices are above average, food is for the greater part dependable.

To dine in – haven’t done that in years – you select food at a cafeteria-style counter. The atmosphere of the dining area inside is nice: wooden tones, wooden tables and chairs, a bit rustic, just right; there is also a row of (metal) tables and chairs outside, to the left and right of the front entrance.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I ate here during some training for work, so I didn't pay for it myself but I did note the prices were a bit high for lunch. You order from a girl just standing by the counter, then you grab a tray and walk down the line to get soup, salad, extras. Then you pay at the end of the counter and grab your drink. You find a table and put your number up and they bring your food to you. They have free slices of bread with butter or jams to hold you over until your food comes, which is a nice touch. I had the Chicken Parisian sandwich with chips and it was very tasty. Plenty of well-cooked chicken, good quality cheddar, delicious bread, and super yummy chips. I did enjoy my meal here, but it got louder and louder the longer we sat there and the line ended up snaking out the door by the time we were leaving. I would go back, but it's not awesome enough to wait in a line that long. I know if I do get the chance to go back, I'll be trying the Croque Monsieur because it looked incredibly delicious!

Reviewed March 9, 2012

croque monsieur,is not like the one ,that is made in france.dry.the whole scenario there,is not that great...........also,the crepes were not that great......i will never go back to that place again

1  Thank letmewaitonyou
Reviewed October 23, 2011

No matter whether whether you are coming here for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or coffee and dessert, you will always find something delicious to eat. Once you have Gary make you a mocha, or any coffee drink, you will not want to go back to Starbucks.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

We enjoyed their food. It was exquisit. The cost was very reasonable for what you get to eat. The food flavors were spot-on. We will go again in Sep 2011.