“Railhead Smokehouse (Fort Worth, TX)”

Railhead Smokehouse
Ranked #21 of 1,585 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Today's (Thursday) special was a rib sandwich plate, which sounded awesome, but I was in the mood for a little more food than that. I settled on a Two Meat Combo with ribs and sausage, as well as potato salad, beans, and coleslaw that automatically come on the side. I ended up with a massive pile of food for just under $11.00.

As usual, sides first. The potato salad was creamy and full of mustard, and it had a nice amount of crunch to it too. I also liked that they left some of the potato skins mixed in. The beans were cooked perfectly and had a ton of flavor. I would have preferred them to be a little spicier, but I'm sure they omitted the spice for the sake of universal appeal. Despite my dislike of coleslaw, I decided to sample it for the sake of completeness. It was sweet and crunchy, but I won't bother to critique it any further.

The sausage had coarse black pepper clearly visible through the casings, and it came with a perfect dark reddish-brown color. There was also slight smoke ring penetrating just below the casings, made all the more evident by the great smokey flavor. I also caught a little bit of heat on the back end, which was nice. Once piece of my sausage accidentally ended up in the beans, and I actually enjoyed that flavor combination much better than the sauce. Overall though, the sausage tasted best on its own.

My ribs had a nice visible char and looked big and glorious. The meat was tender, juicy, and packed with seasonings. There was also a nice rendering on the fat. Much like my sausage, I found that the ribs had a pleasant and noticeable degree of smoke. Each bite came off the bone with ease, but had enough staying power not to entirely debone the ribs all in one pull. Just the way I like it.

If you want a great Fort Worth experience, add Railhead to your list.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend

There are newer reviews for Railhead Smokehouse

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've been here twice now and i love everything i've eaten here. I got the ribs which were so good, very tender, perfectly cooked. The pulled pork was also great. The sides are fantastic too. I love this place. Will be back for sure

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Casual, rustic wood, ranch, and beer signs. Still serving great bbq - had chopped sandwich, ribs and fries smothered with grilled onions - all very good as always. A Ft. Worth institution for BBQ (started years ago by a former employee from Ft. Worth's other bbq institution, "Angelos," who defected to start this place). As you can imagine, bbq is almost identical in both places. Good bbq here and you'll be hard pressed to find colder beer on tap. Prices are reasonable. Conveniently located not far from the "cultural district" as well as TCU.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

When you want great smoked BBQ, killer fries, and a nice cold beer to wash it all down with, you can't go wrong here. Come early or be prepared to wait a bit, because the lunch crowds are here for a reason. And this place is packed to the rafters before a TCU game, for the exact same reason!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

A friend of mine who lives in Fort Worth recommended the Railhead as one of his favorite places for BBQ. To try it, my family and I drove from Dallas to test it out. The atmosphere is a smokehouse and what you would think, but the smell calls you from the outside.

Once inside, it is cafeteria style and seems ok until you taste the food. The pork ribs and the french fries were awesome, some of the best I have ever had. The beef brisket was tender and juicy as well. Other sides offered were baked beans and cole slaw. However, I will be going back and back for the pork ribs and the french fries.