“Meat, Meat, Meat (and Some Salad)”
Review of Texas de Brazil

Texas de Brazil
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,623 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Cuisines: Brazilian, South American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Fort Worth
Cross street: Houston St. & Weatherford St.
Description: Texas de Brazil is carving out a whole new experience in dining. The restaurant is an authentic Brazilian-American "Churrascaria" or steakhouse that combines the cuisines of Southern Brazil with the generous spirit of Texas.Treat yourself to our 50-60 item seasonal salad area including appetizers, gourmet vegetables, soups, and salads. Turn your place card to green and prepare to be swarmed by a troop of carvers generously serving various cuts of seasoned beef, lamb, pork, chicken and Brazilian sausage, all accompanied by traditional side items and house-baked Brazilian cheese bread. As you dine endlessly on Brazilian fare, let one of our in-house wine connoisseurs select the perfect pairing from our extensive, award-winning wine lists, or sip on a freshly-made signature cocktail-the Caipirinha. Complete your dining experience with one of our many decadent dessert selections, and then relax with an after-dinner drink, steaming espresso and enjoy the ambiance and service perfection that is uniquely Texas de Brazil.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This place is a meat-lover’s dream. Waiters roam around the restaurant with various cuts of meat sizzling on spits. You get to choose what meats you want, and eat as much of it as you want. I’ve found that once the waiters know what your preferred cuts of meat are, they come around with them pretty frequently to make sure you’re getting as much of them as you want. You can also select the level of doneness you want. If what you want isn’t on the spit, they will take it back and cook it longer for you.

I especially like the picanha (pronounced pee-kahn-ya), which is their specialty. It’s a cut of meat more commonly seen in Brazil than here. Here, when you can find it, it’s called the rump cap. It’s very tender and flavorful. The salting and grilling here adds even more flavor. I also like their skirt steak (the cut of meat used in Mexican restaurants for fajitas) and filet mignon. There are several other cuts of beef available, as well as chicken, pork, lamb, and sausage. Garlic mashed potatoes and fried bananas are served to cleanse the palate between meats. I really like the fried bananas. They’re a little sweeter than the fried plantains I get at Caribbean restaurants, but they’re good. To me, they’re more like a dessert than a side dish.

The meat is saltier than I usually eat it, but it’s in keeping with the traditional preparation method and I find that it enhances the flavor of the grilled meat, so I don’t mind. You might want to keep this in mind if you are on a low-salt diet or just don’t like salty food.

Their salad bar is incredible. It’s actually more of a “food bar” rather than just a salad bar. If you have vegetarians or light eaters with you, they could make a meal just of this. I tend to graze very lightly from the salad bar, selecting just a few things that I really want to taste in order to leave room for the meat. If you fill up on the salad bar, you don’t have as much room for the meat.

The restaurant has an elegant atmosphere, and is made to feel more spacious with well-placed mirrors. Tables are placed close together, so getting to the salad bar can get tricky if it’s crowded. It does get crowded during peak times, so it’s a good idea to make reservations. I’ve never gone without them, so I don’t know how hard it is to get a seat if you just walk in.

1  Thank wolfie_n

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We went there 2 families with 5 kids and we enjoyed the food so much.
Great meat but not just that!
This restaurant is perfect even for vegetarians since the selection at the "salad bar" is amazing!
Cold salads, warm salads, soup selection, cooked food and sushi. you should definitely try the cooked aubergines.
The service was really good. We had someone coming so often to ask if we need anything that it seemed like we had our own personal waiter.

2  Thank loukiat
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were a party of 12 from different countries. We've been here before(3 and 6 years ago) and so had a high expectation.
They did not like we chose to skip the salad bar and get right into the carne!
Service was very slow, despite the restaurant being pretty empty.
The meat was really good though, and we all had fun, we just had a too high expectation

3  Thank Rick_Yvanovich
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have eaten at Fogo de Chao in Addison Tx about 7 times and always wondered how Texas de Brazil compared. Last night for New Years Eve I went to Texas de Brazil in Fort Worth to give it a shot. Here is the comparison:

Caipirinha- Fogo wins with better tasting one. Texas de Brazil's lacked in flavor, it was basically sugar water and lots of rum.

Cheese biscuits- Fogo wins this one with softer, better tasting ones, however, my girlfriend has been to Brazil and claims that Texas de Brazil's are more authentic.

Salad Bar- Hands down this goes to Fogo. The one at fogo has better bacon, more salad options, roasted garlic, sundried tomatoes, amazing fruit salad, and is very presentable and easy to access. The one at Texas de Brazil is hard to access, you have to bend down and it is very awkward, the bacon was also soggy. The one good thing about Texas de was that it had a ton of salad dressing options, and chimichurri on hand, at Fogo you have to ask for chimichurri.

Meat- The meat is slightly better at Fogo. At Texas de I got a slice of picanha that was very rare. The meat service was lacking at Texas de. I would watch the gauchos go completely past me even though I had my green card up. Literally, the only thing I was offered was picanha, filet mignon, flank steak, beef rib, chicken, and sausage. At Fogo I get offered practically everything.

Service- Fogo wins this one as well. At Fogo, every waiter and gaucho works as one to make sure you get everything you want, at Texas de, our waiter refilled our biscuits once, only once. There were times at Texas de that I was just siting there waiting, waiting for service. This won't happen at Fogo. Also the manager at Fogo actively walks around helping and asking about your meal, that is something nice to have.

Side items- This one goes to Fogo. Fogo has mashed potatoes, fried polenta, and GREAT bananas. Texas de only has mashed potatoes and bananas. The bananas at Texas de were not good. They were not fully cooked, it was basically a warm banana rolled in sugar.

I would be willing to go back to Texas de Brazil if their dinner was $30, because it is not worth the $45. Take the trip to Fogo de Chao in Addison, you won't regret it.

2  Thank Wowirock
Reviewed December 21, 2013

The "salad bar" is fabulous and includes a soup (we had lobster bisque which was tasty but did not contain any pieces of lobster), and a hot bar with scalloped potatoes, rice, black beans, and marinated mushrooms. All of these items were very tasty, as were the cheese-bread poppers served to our table. The salad bar at dinner is $25; include the meat that the restaurant is know for and you'll pay $45 for a dinner. Meat-servers come to your table with huge skewers of various types of meat. All the meat was delicious but the meat-servers were extremely slow to come around. It seemed that every time a meat-server arrived in our crowded area of the restaurant, they immediately went to the table of 6 people adjacent to us. After that table was served, the meat-server frequently returned to the kitchen without heading over to our table. This was very frustrating and we didn't appreciate having to constantly hail the meat-servers in order to get our dinner. I would recommend this restaurant with the hope that you don't encounter slow meat-servers.

4  Thank Linda4321