“Fun but food not great!”

Edelweiss German Restaurant
Ranked #276 of 1,567 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Texas
“Fun but food not great!”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We had a coupons so we went there last night for dinner. My husband had the pork ribs what he said were excellent. I had the sausage platter. My food was mediocre at best. Cabbage and sauerkraut are very mushy. My one bratwurst sausage had a liver taste. We ordered their potato pancakes as an appetizer and they had no onion and looked like they were made with mashed potatoes not diced. I've seen reviews on their apple strudel. I disagree. To me, strudel is supposed to have a flaky crust. Theirs was mushy and the apples had way too much cinnamon and were overcooked. and they charge $6 for one little slice of strudel. on a plus note the accordion player was fun. People got up and did the chicken dance so we had a good time watching. all in all it's way too overpriced for the quality of the food. Our bill without the coupon would have been over $80. We will not be going back. From the reviews I've read, the original owners of this restaurant are what made this restaurant good. Now it has become mediocre. My husband is German and we both love German food; this is not authentic.

• Visited December 2013

Cowtown
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Time Warp”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Take all my out of town peeps here. They all love it. Beer by the litre and very family friendly. Not just a great meal but an event.

• Visited June 2013
Graham, Texas
“Good Food, Fun Time”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

My family loves German food, and we enjoy this restaurant. We went on a Saturday night, and they had fun, live music. It was very entertaining. We all tried something different and it was all good. Our favorite was the red cabbage. The service was very good. The building is kind of run down, but it is a great place for a fun dinner.

Fort Worth
“authentic german food”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We love this place! The food is authentic German (schnitzel and spatzl). They have nightly entertainment which would be very touristy is Germany, but it is a lot of fun. The band even wear lederhosen!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank bethg1125
Dallas, Texas
“This old place ain't like it used to be”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Who goes to a German restaurant for Italian food? Doesn't make any sense but that's what the owners offer. This restaurant has been around for over 40 years and I think they still use the original tablecloths. The one on our table was a cheap vinyl with a big hole in it. When I mentioned the hole to the hostess, she's didn't seem surprised or interested.

The musicians are the saving grace for this place. They provided lots of songs, dancing, jokes, and garnered plenty of audience participation. Without them, this place is not special at all.

There were a couple of parties celebrating special occasions and the MC was great about announcing these. He and the musicians made our 40 mile drive worth the time and trouble to go to Fort Worth to eat at the Edelweiss German Restaurant.

Don't expect to get in and out of here quickly. The employees have to be there for the whole shift and I couldn't see much urgency in some of the staffers or the time it took to get food out of the kitchen. There were a few who seemed genuinely interested in providing their guests with a nice dining experience. Our server didn't know the menu very well and had to keep going to ask someone about certain items.

If you go, plan to enjoy the music and ask for Don to be your server. As we were entering the restaurant, another party was complimenting the manager on the wonderful service they had received from Don! Too bad we didn't ask for his section.

The German food choices are pretty standard fare, and the side dishes offered are the same on many of the dishes - cabbage (red cabbage), cabbage (sauerkraut) and potatoes (fried in grease with onions). The sausage plate needs more variety - the knockwurst and weisswurst were both extremely bland and tasted like eating saltines without the salt. The brat had good flavor.

The waitress told us the Leberkase was like a Spam meatloaf - and it looked like that when someone at the next table ordered it. It might have been made of the pink slime that the government serves in school cafeterias for mystery meat day.

We received our appetizer AFTER we ate our salads that came with our dinners. The potato pancakes appetizer was only OK but greasy and one was burned, but the waitress brought it anyway. They had a herring in sour cream appetizer on the menu but no longer offer the dish. They need to update their menus. Different items are crossed out with black marker on different menus.

The German beefsteak was smothered in a white mushroom sauce that looked straight out of a can. Couldn't even see the meat underneath without scraping it away.

We tried the Black Forest Cake and the German Chocolate Cake. Neither was special and for $6.95 you get a thin slice of refrigerated cake that did not taste fresh or different from a cake that had been frozen, thawed and served purchased from your chain grocery store. I guess I should have caught on that neither was titled "Homemade". The strudel looked really tasty as it went by on its way to another table.

Owners - get consistent! Start caring about the customer's experience.

• Visited October 2013