“Just alright, tender meat, big plates, but the BBQ sauce didn't cut it for us”
Review of Angelo's Barbque

Angelo's Barbque
Ranked #39 of 1,622 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

When you go out for BBQ the sauce is the deciding factor in whether you like or love the place. In this case it didn't do it for most in our party. This is a no frills place, large seating area with plenty of napkins at the table, and nothing fancy, no servers etc. You order at the counter, it's plated up pronto, and find yourself a seat. The plates are large enough for not so hardy appetites to share easily, with sides of slaw, tater salad, beans, etc, there is plenty to share. My in-laws who we were visiting frequent here and claim it's the only place they get BBQ now because it's consistently good. The meat did fall off the bone, and was tasty, but as I stated, the sauce is the magic for me, and it wasn't my kind of sauce. Too spicy, not enough sweet, but I'm a northerner, so what do I know. Prices were very reasonable, and since no tips are needed, as there is no service, it can be a great way to enjoy BBQ on the cheap.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have been exposed to all sorts of good food being from New Orleans. A good friend took me to Angelo's for lunch and the food was actually pretty good. I had the briquette and some sides with a fish bowl full of beer. The BBQ sauce was kinda dull butt the flavor of the meal was a 7 on the scale of 1-10. I'd go back however I may try the sandwichs . If the owners of the place read this make sure to kick up the sauce a lil.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

A genuine Cowtown watering hole. Line up to place your order of plates, 1/2 plates, sandwiches, or ribs by the pound, then pick up your plastic tray full of food and order your drinks as you pay the cashier- large schupper of beer or small. 6 draft beers available. bottles and soft drinks available as well. Large schupper of beer is only 75 cents more than a small.
Then you have a option if you get there before the crowds - front dining area has waitress service for more beers or food, where as the back room does not. Front room walls have sooooo, sooo many animal trophy heads mounted though and I have to say I'm not a big fan of hunting. But if you are, they have a wide range of animals to "view". But back to the food - ribs are cooked with meat falling off the bones and sauce on the side. If you get a plate, you'll get - potato salad, pinto beans, coleslaw, a pickle spear and 2slices of white bread in a styrofoam compartment tray, with a plastic fork. Okay, so not high class, but remember, it's a bar first and they have a high customer turnover, so washing dishes would be a big job. It's a tourist place as well as locals' watering hole, so expect a real mix of people. I've been here many times and seen all types, but the food has never failed me ! This time I had the chopped beef plate- it was hot, lean shredded beef with sauce and all the sides and a small Bud Light. More than enough. My dining companions had a rib plate & a small beer, as well as 2 family members that had a pound of ribs each and beers. You can also purchase a cup size container of potato salad or coleslaw from the refrigerator as you walk in to go with your other food and that's what my pound of rib eaters did, as they did not want ALL the side dishes. Only 1 thing- my brother who was the only 1 of us to have a large schupper of beer wished he had checked out the draft beer offering before ordering - he missed having a Shiner Bock draft, instead of the Budweiser he drank. Shiner Bock is a Texas brew and has more flavor than Bud. But over all, the 4 of us had a fun meal and were full when we rolled out into the parking lot !

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have been going to Angelo's for 37 years. Always the same great smoked BBQ. It's self-service ordering, but the staff is very helpful when you need it. And guests in the line can tell you what to do also. Atmosphere is a perfect down home family BBQ Restaurant. My wife is a fan of the chopped brisket on rye. I get sliced on rye (when i don't get ribs). Simply the best BBQ around i think. Traditionally smoked, no sauce needed. Make sure you get a "large" beer. All sides are excellent. Love those beans! My go to BBQ joint in Fort Worth! And we always take out of staters there so they can see real Texas BBQ!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

If you're a Bar-B-Q fan then Texas is the place to be.. by far.. elsewhere simply does not compare to Texas. Everywhere I went in Ft Worth for Brisket was GOOD... Angelo's was Very Good .. they have a real smoker right there onsite .. not fake.. Brisket was excellent as were the side dishes... which are important in the rankings here..

If you're not from Texas, keep in mind at all these Bar-B-Q places you order first, take a number, and sit down, then pick up your food... sort of Cafeteria Style in some ways..

Angelo's is a unique place on the inside. We got there just before closing and the owner was still happy to serve us his delectable Smoked Brisket.. its much bigger on the inside than appears from outside, and this Family has a fascinating collection of Big Fish and Game Trophy's on the wall which they were happy to talk about.

In Texas, people are spoiled with Great Bar-B-Q .. Angelo's is one of the Best...