“Need to give it a second try.”
Review of Red Door Bistro - CLOSED

Red Door Bistro
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Located a stone's throw from the new tollway, the strip -mall facade gives way to handsome, elegant room, with wood colored tables and chairs, floor-to-ceiling windows, concrete floors and an extensive wine list. Sleek, upscale, yet comfortable.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Met a friend for early dinner, I was early so ordered a glass of wine. Had to send the wine back as it was apparent that the bottle had been open too long.
Now the food was quite good. Eclectic menu with good selections. The warm goat cheese, olives and crostini a good way to start a meal. I had the Farfalle pasta with chicken, the light pesto sauce was excellent, my friend had the baked salmon which she said was very good.
One drawback is the limited space, felt as if the staff was staring at us during the meal. Think the staff is trying a little too hard. Will try it again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We almost missed trying the Red Door because we listened to some of our friends. The local newspaper's food critic gave the place a decent review and recommended it because the owners are part of an established Fort Worth family of restaurateurs. However, our friends' reviews were less than stellar. Luckily, we went anyway.

First, the Red Door is not your typical Fort Worth eating establishment. It is not Tex-Mex, steaks, soul food, down home cooking, BBQ or pizza. Also, it is not Italian, which is where its owner's family made their reputation. As the friend dining with us when we visited stated, it is a bistro, and that is a good thing.

Some would say the menu is eclectic. Others might say it is chaotic. We thought it was delightful. It ranges from an upscale Angus Burger to Honey Chipotle Glazed Quail. On this visit, we ordered the Chicken Roulade and the Shrimp Asparagus Rissoto entrees. They were both excellent, but on our next visit, I will be forced to try the Angus Burger or the Fish Fillet Sandwich. One reason is I want to see how an upscale chef does a sandwich, and the other is I couldn't justify the hand cut fires with the rissoto. I've got to try the fries.

There were three in our party, and we shared a limoncello cake slice for dessert. It was just enough to give us a taste of dessert, and it was excellent. I am not certain how it will taste when I order the Angus Burger, but I won't be sharing it on the next visit.

Before leaving ending my comments on the food, I feel compelled to mention the bread. It was little touch of down home cooking with a continental touch. The bread, at least on this trip, consisted of corn bread muffins and a red sauce of some sort. Our server said it was something that started with an "r" and not marinara. I don't care what it was, the combination was great.

Before closing, a quick disclaimer. Red Door is a great little place, but it may not be what you are expecting. It is in a small strip center near Hulen Mall. The decor is somewhat artsy-fartsy modern, but it might come off as sterile to some. If you go out to eat for decor and atmosphere, this may not be your place. However, if you go for the food, you need to give it a try.

If you do go, ask for Nick. My wife wanted to adopt him, but I just want to make certain he is working the next time we visit Red Door. He was attentive, professional and pleasant.

One final disclaimer. I accidentally hit the "Bar Scene" rating button and there is no way to uncheck it. There is no bar or bar scene. It is beer and wine only, and no bar. Settled on terrible since there is no "N/A" option.

4  Thank JacksonSE