“2nd Visit better than the first”

Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #167 of 1,556 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Description: Real Mexican food is a feast for the senses. From colorful peppers to the sounds of sizzling fajitas all the way to that incredible flavor. Each mouthful is just as much a result of the freshest ingredients as it is a result of the chef's expertise. Abuelo's offers diners the opportunity to experience real Mexican food, combining authentic, made from scratch classic dishes with the rich, subtle flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine. Our executive Chef Luis Sanchez has spent decades perfecting our menu, and we boast a wide selection of wood-grilled fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, chile rellenos or Abuelo's unique House Specialties (depending on your location). To compliment your meal, our expert bartenders are masters at crafting signature favorites, including a wide variety of margaritas and swirls. Whatever the occasion, we'll stop at nothing to make your time at Abuelo's a memorable dining experience.
Spring, Texas, United States
“2nd Visit better than the first”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This fine small chain of Mexican speciality resturants is only a little over a year old and their popularity continues to grow. From traditional Tex-Mex plates to a tempting variety of Northern Mexican dishes. Everyone should find something well prepared to try. Prices are reasonable, variety awesome and quick friendly service. Because the area is finding this to be a great dinner venue be prepared for a short wait but it will be well worth your time. They now have one open in my home town so I suspect we will be at their door shortly. Viva la difference....

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank John B

Wichita
“Don't ever try carry out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Trust me, I hate to slam any restaurant because most of the time the staff is overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated.

Abuelos has been a favorite for more years than I can remember. The first meal was about 10:00 at night in OK City, Bricktown, and the food was incredible, and the service was top notch. One thing I always appreciate about Abuelos is the consistency of good food, clean place, and great service.

So I go into Ft. Worth Abuelos asking for a carryout. Suddenly the hostess is no longer interested. "Go to the bar for that!," she says. So I walk around her, and wait at the bar. The bartender finishes some drinks, drops them at a table, then comes back, stands at the opposite end of the bar from me, and acts like he's stoned!

I try to get his attention. I know he sees me, but he's not into it. Behind me the manager comes over, and flirts with the hostess.

Nobody is interested in the customer.

How was the food? Don't know! After 10 to 12 minutes of this, I left. I get enough abuse out in the world, I don't need to buy food from a restaurant that doesn't want the customer there.

Sad, sad, sad!!!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank gingyi1
houston
“The Flan Dessert is Worth a 300 Mile Drive!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We were in Ft Worth for the weekend and decided to go to the new Abuelos near Hulen mall. Although very busy, the waitstaff was attentive and helpful and the food very good. But it was the Mexican flan dessert that sealed the deal. We don't get dessert that often but were enjoying the stay lingering with friends, so we ordered! OMG wonderful!!!!

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Closest to Sonoran so far in Texas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Missing good Sonoran Mexican food that we’ve been accustom to from Tucson. We decided to visit Abuelo's during a business trip in Fort Worth. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t like back home, but being in Texas for a year, and for the 1st time seeing enchilada sauce rather than “gravy” on a Mexican menu we had to give it a try.

The service was a bit slow and the menu was a bit miss leading… I ordered the chicken enchiladas with sour cream sauce. In actuality it’s a green sauce with some sour cream on it. It was good though. My wife had shredded beef enchiladas with the “enchilada” sauce, and yes it was enchilada sauce, none of this gravy stuff which is beef broth with some tomato paste…

Over all we had a great experience. Food was a B to B+ compared to what we’ve had so far in Texas. The service and menu description(s) could use a little help, but we will definitely go back the next time we are in town from Houston to see how other items on the menu compare to good old Tucson Mexican food.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank jandyrone
Fort Worth, Texas
“Upscale mexican food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Finally got in to Abuelos on Hulen street. I was told years ago by a person who knew good mexican food to always order the chili rellino at a new mexican restaurant. The idea was that if they could do that dish well, then they could do everything well. If that is my test, then in my opinion, Abuelo's can do all things well. The (two) rellinos that I was served were excellent, And, I love the three different salsa's that are served with the chips. But by the end of the meal I was exhausted because of the server. The young lady server was one of those who had been expertly trained to constantly upgrade the sale. Jousting with her kept me alert and on my toes the whole time. "Would you like the large pour?" "I brought a bowl of queso" (instead of a cup for one serving). "I recommend" (the higher priced wine by the glass rather than the house wine). You get the idea. Probably added 30 dollars to the already pricy meal. And it was not relaxing. Still, the food was excellent, so I will go again when I feel up to the contest.

• Visited January 2013