“Nice area to shop and eat in”

Ft. Worth Stockyard Stables
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Not a lot to see from a site seeing stand point. but it is a nice place with an old ambience to it. A great place for eating, shopping and strolling. We were told it gets very crowded on weekends.

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Agree with other reviewers in that this is fun for families with younger children and can be done in a couple of hours with a meal thrown in for good measure. Food is average to good, some stores are cool, but s number of them are very touristy. Cattle run is cool. Finally, Spring and Fall are the best times to go. Today was gorgeous.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I went horseback riding with 7 other people, and we were never given helmets when we rode the horses. When we got on the horses, we only had a little time to get accquanted with the horses, and the guide was awful. All the guide did was bark orders at us, and never offered to help us. My horse, thank gosh, was really obedient and did everything I told it to, and stopped when I wanted it to stop. Others, however, had a less than pleasant experience. Most of the other horses hated each other, and upon getting close to each other, decided to almost rear up and scare the riders. One of my family friend's horses decided to stay in the front of the line, and if anyone went in front of it, the horse would take off. About halfway through the trail ride, my father's horse decided to stop abruptly and lean his head forward, making my father fall off of the horse. My father hit both his head and his shoulder. The guide made no attempt to go over and help him, as he was trying to get control over the runaway horse that my dad was riding. My godfather went to my father first, and made sure he was okay. My father, being the joker of the family, decided to say that he was fine, and walked the rest of the way back with my godfather, but after the trail ride was done, he started to feel pain in his shoulder. We took him to the hospital shortly thereafter, and they said he had broken his collarbone in three places and had scratched up his head pretty badly. Luckily, he did not have a concussion, but he was in a ton of pain even after the medication, and has to wear a splint ad a result. Overall, I thought the guide was rude and very ignorant, and the horses did not seem to be the riding type. Also, you should never go to a place that doesnt offer helmets, because it could be dangerous and could result in serious or fatal injury. I know now that helmets are absolutely necessary when riding a horse, even if you're an experienced rider.

3  Thank Pepmintmaddie44
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We went to the Stock Yards (myself and two female companions) and were interested in a horse ride. As with other reviews, we were met by the nice lady at the counter who said we could only have a 30 min ride because she had a lesson at 5pm. That was fine with us, so we paid. And waited. And waited some more. Fifteen minutes later, with the sky starting to darken and our perception of the shoddy operation darkening with it, we agreed that we would seek a refund. But some guy walked out with 3 helmets, so we agreed to proceed. He said we could wear helmets if we wanted, but made no attempt to ensure they fit properly (they didn't), to introduce himself, or to gauge our level of riding experience.

One of my friends had never been on a horse before, and I was very concerned when he didn't offer any instruction on how to actually ride the horse, outside of a two second rein demonstration that Stephen Hawking wouldn't even be able to follow.

Our horses strolled off and proceeded to devour half of the Marriott's hedge, before crossing a busy road and then eating more foliage. I actually thought that I was atop a brontosaurus with how often my horse was stripping trees.

I got the guide's name (Willy), which was only offered after what felt like a Guantanomo Bay interrogation. I could not imagine anyone being more disinterested in the group - he spent most of his time 50 yards ahead texting on his phone, while we lingered back where our horses consumed acres of Texas lawn.

After getting almost bucked off, twice, without even an "Are you okay?" or mere acknowledgement from Willy, my girlfriend decided it would be safer to walk back.

We returned, and it could not have been sooner. Worst guide ever. He should not be anywhere near horses and people, especially first time riders.

Free Willy by firing him.

3  Thank SPSSB
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Interesting for its historical significance, but the shops an restaurants are just so so. The cattle run is fun. Skip the Wild Bill Show - it's a rip off. Don't need more than an hour to experience this.