“West Texas Sushi?”

Ranked #125 of 1,752 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Shinjuku Station is an izakaya style restaurant that serves traditional small plates - perfect for sharing. Located in the Near Southside of Fort Worth on Magnolia Avenue, friends and family are welcome to come in and unwind with good food, good drinks, and great hospitality. Shinjuku Station offers indoor and outdoor dining, a delicious menu, and a full bar which includes hand-crafted cocktails and an extensive sake list. It's just one example of how we strive to provide you with the very best-and a bit of the unexpected. The design inspiration for the restaurant is based on an actual train station in Tokyo, Japan. The world's busiest train stop, Shinjuku Station transports more than two million passengers on a daily basis. It is also a main connecting hub for railway and subway lines, and is one of Tokyo's major stops for long-distance highway buses and city buses. Offering something for everyone, the Shinjuku district in Tokyo is filled with entertainment, business, and shopping. To help recreate the spirited exuberance that thrives within this region, photojournalistic photography of Tokyo and its people is proudly displayed throughout our restaurant. Being 8,800 miles away, we want to bring Tokyo, Japan to you.
Reviewed November 11, 2017 via mobile

First impression of Will was “What the hell is this kid doing?” An hour later and my prejudice against young white sushi chefs dissipated. Because he was erudite and creative, I now rank the place up with Blue as best sushi in Fort Worth. But where Blue is big and impersonal — this place is little with ambience and hipsterness. The waitress was reading the history of Sushi, and the bartender Ben read my mind. It is worth your Uber ride.

Reviewed November 8, 2017

I work for a Japanese owned company and this was recommended to me by an expat from Japan. The food is outstanding and provides options for a wide variety of preferences. We enjoyed the cozy atmosphere as it resembles what a Japanese dining experience would be like. Note that I was quite hungry when I arrived and still left reasonably full while only spending $60 with drinks. The sushi on its own would be worth having. It is one of the best in town.

Recommendations: croquettes, dumplings, spider roll

Reviewed October 22, 2017

Average to good quality fish. Inexperienced staff led to a variety of miscommunications between the wait staff and the kitchen resulting in the wrong food being delivered (never apologized). Table next to us kept getting "complimentary" items from the kitchen and bar. Which made us feel like our experience wasn't as valuable as another table. Our server was covering too many tables which led to long delays. Odd welcome upon arrival ... we had a reservation for 6:30, they sent a text to me the day before confirming the 6:30 reservation. When arriving they said I had a 7pm reservation. I showed them the text. They did seat us. Not sure what they would have if I didn't have "Proof".

Reviewed August 8, 2017

One could write this off to bad luck. I am afraid that is not the case. A little over a year ago, I dined at Shinjuku Station and had a bad experience. I wrote it up, and a manager replied it was due to the unexpectedly busy week night. It was also due to the fact we made reservations for 10, and we had 11. Wonder what happened this time?

There were four of us. It was a Friday night. Many tables were empty when we arrived. Still, there were problems. The good news is the food was not the problem on this evening, for some of us at least.

We started with Tok Fries and Short-Rib Gyoza. They were great! I ordered some Tempura items, and they were good. I started to order the Hamachi Kama, but the server reminded me it would take 20 plus minutes to prepare, and since we had already been there a while, I changed my order to the smoked eel roll. Much smaller than what one normally sees at such places, but good. The Seared Wild Beef Wrap was not what was expected, but it was, reportedly, very good. (She wouldn’t share.)

One daring soul tried the special that evening which was Smoked Fish, Kampachi I think. He was a bit disappointed, as it was a small, small plate, especially for the price. However, he later ordered a Spider Roll which made up for it. His wife ordered the Chicken Karaage. It was reportedly good, but it is lightly fried chicken pieces, which is okay. Unfortunately, the menu does not make it clear the chicken is crusted with sesame seeds, which this diner could not digest. She was able to scrape them off.

With the two exceptions, the size of special which did not seem to match the price, and the undisclosed ingredient on the chicken, the food was great. The problem again was the service. Of course, I am certain it was our fault.

We did not arrive at the same time. One couple arrived about ten minutes before the second couple. That threw the server off I guess, taking drink order ten minutes a part. The funny thing was the time lag in the delivery of the drinks. The two glasses of wine came at the same time, even though they were ordered at different times. One mixed drink showed up about five minutes later, and the last drink arrived only after the husband complained. Food orders came rather randomly as well, with the chicken dish arriving an appreciable time after the other orders.

I do not know what the problem is, but it is unlikely I will return to Shinjuku Station. The food was good, but the service, while very pleasant, was horrible. I understand every dish is individually prepared, and service is more difficult to coordinate in some ways, but this was ridiculous. Luckily, the other two restaurants in this little group still provide quality food and decent service

Reviewed June 15, 2017 via mobile

The atmosphere is nice and it is a small venue. Wait staff was very good and service above average reason for 3 rather than 2. This is a loud place. Food is good but overpriced and small portions. It is different and interesting but others better for the price.