“Winslow's Wine Cafe”

Winslow's Wine Cafe
Ranked #273 of 1,716 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cozy wine bar with a full menu, great atmosphere and excellent service. Extensive wine list. The place to be in West Fort Worth.
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Not the place for a business meeting! This is a place to eat, have a glass of wine and then go somewhere else if you need to talk with others. The food is good. I recommend the Shrimp and Grits. The Carrot and Cumin Soup was very good. They have a wide selection of thin crusted pizzas, not just the usual but some very creative combos. We had to ask for bread which is grilled for a few moments on the fire so by the time it arrived most of our entrees were gone. Server should have thought of it earlier. The wine selection is varied and the staff very helpful in advising a good selection, sample glasses provide a generous taste if you are unsure. However, the place is loud. All surfaces are hard concrete and the noise makes it difficult to converse. Parking is also a challenge. Valet is available which helps.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I have been to Winslows 3 times, and had I been writing before, I would've given the full five. More on that in a moment.

We met friends there last night and its a great place to enjoy some food and certainly a bottle of wine. Nice wine selection and a nice ambience. We had no problem at all with the service; there when we needed it, but not all over us and not forgetful of us.

Typically, we would start with the Winslows salad, but not this time. Still, this is always a good starter, and the breads with cheese and fruit almost ended up being a starter. However, we went straight to pizza.

We got the 14 inch margherita...good but not as good as times past. I'm thinking maybe the smaller pizza would've been a better choice, as the crust on this one was just a little gummy. A buddy ordered the Winslows crunch, and here's where I was very disappointed. I loved the idea of chips on pizza - along with bleu cheese and jalapeños and onions - but this just didn't work. The first thing that popped into my mind when I took a bite was that it tasted like a frozen pizza roll I used to eat when I was a teenager and I could pop them in the oven for a quick 15 minute meal. Good when you want them but not for a $12 pizza.

Dessert made up somewhat for it. The homemade cheesecake was ridiculously good. My girlfriend and I absolutely loved it and would get it again.

All in all, this is still a great place. Food was just not as good as it had been before, but I don't think it would take much of an adjustment to bump at back up. And I appreciate the creativity but the Winslows crunch just doesn't work. Everything else - keep it up! We will be back for sure.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great location on Camp Bowie. Nicely decorated inside. Te patio outside is fabulous with fencing to cut down the street noise, a gas firepit, outdoor TV, other gas heaters ( which they could not get to work.). Looks like they have fans outside for the summer heat.

The food was just OK. The $23 cheese plate had 4 nice size pieces of cheese. However, they were served with stale pecans, raisins, dried cranberry, dried apricot, and a few olives. Salmon bruschetta very tasty. Very nice wine selection by the glass and bottle.

There were not that many people there and there were a number of servers, yet our server rarely came back to check on us and had a hard time delivering the check when there was only one other patron in the restaurant.

I want to like this place, so I will give them another chance.

Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We were a party of four adults and two kids. The meals included French toast, an omelet, eggs Benedict, a wedge salad and a small pizza, half spinach and goat cheese and half margherita. The salad was excellent. The pizza and omelet were fine. The French toast was good, but it would have been better if we didn't have to wait until it was cold before the maple syrup arrived. The home fries that came with the omelet were none too warm when served and were quite cold by the time the catsup arrived. The eggs Benedict were originally delivered to a different table so had to be made a second time. Needless to say, everyone else had finished their meal before that person started eating. Unfortunately, the eggs weren't worth the wait. To summarize, the food was variable and the service was poor. We won't go to this restaurant again.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Although we have lived here for a year we finally made it to Winslow's tonight. We had a 20 minute wait for a table but they brought us wine while we waited. Sat outside. The outdoor patio had roughly 15 tables, a fire pit table and an actual fireplace. Wall mounted rotating fans helped cool the air. Server was Russ and he did a great job. We had the tenderloin pizza, house salad, my wife had lobster ravioli and I had the beef short ribs. Pizza had a crispy crust, cooked perfectly, and balanced very well. Salad was fresh and very tasty. The short ribs fell off the bone and just touching it with a fork would cause beef to fall off. The ravioli was excellent. We had a great experience. Definitely going back for brunch and will be regulars now.