“Disappointing and Dirty - Beware!”

Extended Stay America - Fort Worth - City View
Ranked #69 of 113 Hotels in Fort Worth
Oklahoma
“Disappointing and Dirty - Beware!”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

When I found out I would be staying here for almost a week for a business trip to Fort Worth, I was encouraged by the fact that the rooms have a kitchenette. I looked at the rooms online (via Extended Stay's website), and thought that everything looked alright. BUYER BEWARE! The room I was assigned looked nothing like what is represented on the website. This is what I encountered upon my arrival:
1. The halls were dingy and reeked of cigarette smoke.
2. The room was extremely shabby. Many carpet stains, including one large one near the bathroom that looked like blood. There were also crusty white carpet stains around the bed area. Needless to say, I never walked barefoot on the floor the entire time I was there.
3. Mysterious splatters of dark brown liquid on one wall and on the inside of the door.
4. Dirty silverware in the silverware tray, as well as a "curly hair" in the silverware tray.
5. A pile of dirty towels that had been thrown into one of the kitchen cabinets.
6. Mismatched drawers on the dresser, which fell out on the floor when I tried to open them.
7. Cigarette burns around the bathroom sink and toilet seat.
8. No in-room bathroom supplies, such as the little shampoos. I was later told (by another guest, not staff) that I had to ask for those at the front desk. So much for hospitality.
9. The trash cans on the stairwells were overflowing after two days. By day four, trash was spilling on the floor, and stinking very badly. Someone had dropped a bunch of grapes on one of the stairs, which remained there the entire four days I was there.
10. The last morning I was there, I was eating breakfast while standing in the kitchen, and a bug fell out of the light fixture, landing two inches away from my plate.

To put it simply, I was very disappointed with this hotel. I did not even bother to request a room change, because someone else in my busines group had already done so and was told that there were no additional rooms available. The only nice thing about this hotel was the young lady working the front desk: she was pleasant. I will never go back to this hotel. Luckily, I did not have to pay for this hotel, as my company covered the cost of my stay. They had reserved five nights for me - I checked out early after the fourth and drove home after my business meeting.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LMarie99
, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Fort Worth - City View, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Fort Worth - City View. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2012

When our car broke down while driving through Ft. Worth, we walked to various hotels in the area to try to find a room for the night. After speaking with four other nearby locations, we happened upon the Extended Stay America. The staff here was extremely helpful, showing a high degree of empathy for our situation and bending over backwards to get us a room and support us in our repairs of our car. The room was well appointed, and the full kitchen (including full fridge/freezer) was perfect for our needs. The fold out bed was ideal for our toddler and in general the room as a whole fit our needs perfectly.

Thank you to the friendly staff for everything you did to get us on the road again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
bbrauss, Manager at Extended Stay America - Fort Worth - City View, responded to this review, November 27, 2012

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Thanks, I got more than what I paid for.I really enjoy my sta at this hotel....

thanks

Room Tip: kingsize for guest
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I found a special rate for this hotel posted on Craigslist. I made my reservation with the hotel directly, and when I checked in, I wasn’t sure if my job would require me to be here longer than two weeks, so I paid for a 2 week stay, plus my pet fee, and housekeeping fee. I initialed the rate for my stay, the total amount, signed the folio, and received a copy of the folio for the prepaid amount.

Four days into my stay, I noticed on my bank account’s site that I had been charged the entire rate again, and went to the front desk to figure out what was going on.

First, the front desk rep told me that when I checked in, I was only charged for the first week, which I knew wasn’t true because my folio showed the exact dates for the amount I paid, which were two weeks. There was no manager on duty, so she had to call the manager and had her on speaker phone.

The manager tried to tell me that for the rate I received, I needed to be there at least 30 days, so that’s why they needed to charge me double, even though I was only going to be there for 2 weeks. I told her that was ridiculous and that they should have explained that to me before I checked in and paid for the room. They should’ve explained that when I made the reservation with them, especially since I called them directly, as instructed on the Craigslist ad.

If they were going to charge me double, I could’ve found a much better rate at a different hotel in the first place. I always search for the best rates I can find, and I feel that if you do not want to offer the rate, then don’t post ads on Craigslist or any other site. I mean, this whole fiasco was like a ‘bait and switch’ scenario, if I’ve ever seen one.

I was very very upset with them and they just couldn’t get it through their heads as to why this made me so upset.

Any guest who has to pay in advance for their room like you do at Extended Stay hotels would be very upset if when you check in, you are told you are paying one rate, and then while you are there, they decide it’s quite all right to just charge you double the rate that you agreed to and initialed on your folio when you checked in.

Not only that, but the manager and the lady at the front desk acted like it was not a big deal that they charged my account double, as though I was just going to be stupid enough to say okay well you all can charge me anything you’d like. I truly felt like I wasn’t the first person with whom they’ve played this game.

I can honestly say I haven’t been treated that badly by a hotel in a long time, and I will not use Extended Stay Hotels for my travels, nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
san antonio texas
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I used to visit this hotel 10 years ago, when it first opened, and it was incredibly nice back then, so I thought I might revisit. Of course, and to be expected, a lot has deteriorated over the past 10 years. Other than the hotel being old, the room was dingy. The carpet was dingy. The kitchen looked old and dirty. It smelled of mildew or something. I only stayed for one night - less than 8 hours, so I didn't use the kitchen, but I was scared to even use a cup for water. The towels were old, very rough on the skin. The floor was old and dingy, there was a old black tarry dirty spot on the floor - not even sure what it was - wore shoes the entire time, was afraid to go barefoot. Everything was functional - only old and dingy. There was a mysterious knocking that occurred the entire night. At first I thought someone was knocking on the door, but after looking through the peephole many times and being fooled, realized it was just the room. It sounds like someone lightly tapping on the door - all through the night. Was scared - thought room was haunted. This is NOT an extravagant hotel, so if that is what you are looking for, this is not for you. Everything is old. I wouldn't say it is dirty - so much as - it has the stench of being old and overused. Everything works, just don't expect luxury. If you want something bare-bones and minimal, this is ok. Personally, I thought it was quite expensive for what they were offering...which isn't much. I would rate this hotel as a 1-2 star, not much more. I don't discourage it, but I certainly don't recommend it. Only good point is that there are a lot of things around hotel - grocery stores, department stores, restaurants, so you can do other things - and not have to STAY in the room. :P

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I had the most worse experience one can have. I was traveling with a large number of colleagues and we selected Extended Stay America, Fort Worth as the manager agreed to give us special rates. However, as it turned out, their manager (Miss Trish) hooked us up on a much higher rate than the hotel's normal rate and had kept her personal commission. When i learned about the Fraud, she tried to shut me up by calling my boss and threatened to file a harassment case against me. Thank God we some how got rid of her. So, my advise to u is 'rooms r smelly and small + the manager is corrupt, so beware...!'

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Khan_Shah
Dallas
Reviewed January 30, 2009

I was placed in this hotel for about a month for business. Had I known it was in such poor shape, I would never have agreed to staying here.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by a sign that read the clerk was out for lunch for 30 minutes. I waited for half an hour before I was greeted by a human being (this was 9:30 at night). I finally was able to enter into my room by 10:15 and was shocked at how dingy the room appeared. The lighting is poor, even with all 3 lamps turned on and the flourescent lamp in the kitchen area. The kitchen stovetop was sufficient, toaster available, refrigerator full-sized, and microwave was nicely built in over the hood of the stovetop. However, I did not wish to cook on the stovetop considering how filthy the cookware appeared. They left a very small packet of dishwashing liquid but no sponges to clean them with. Unsanitary! The dark green carpet is so worn there were black tracks in it (not to mention a bloody stain near the bathroom) and the bathroom fan hums quite loudly. The furniture is very old, lamps were rusty and had dust on them. There are a limited number of channels for viewing (local, and many news channels) on the 19 in screen television. My queen sized bed was roomy but hard. Pillows were not comfortable as they were hard as well. Blankets were itchy and the comforter had cigarette burns on them.

The hotel staff was friendly during this stay. I stayed in the nonsmoking part of the hotel and alerted the staff of a strong scent of cigarette smoke in my bathroom. I didn't smell it after I reported it to the front desk. There is no pool or fitness center at this facility. However, they have an agreement with a local fitness center for a free membership during your stay with the hotel. The location is nice. There are a lot of good restaurants and a Super Target is right across the street.

• Liked — The area around the hotel
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness of the rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rtdallas08