“Rundown, Bad Food, Bad Service - other than that it was fine!”

Radisson Hotel Ft Worth - Fossil Creek
Ranked #15 of 113 Hotels in Fort Worth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Aransas Pass, Texas
“Rundown, Bad Food, Bad Service - other than that it was fine!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property for 3 nights. we were there for a conference with about 250 people. We did not have problems with checkin but a number of others did. The entire property is rundown and in need of a facelift. The layout of the lobby relative to the elevators is ridiculous (I realize that's not something they can change). The restaurant situation was ridiculous. There are signs at the restaurant entrance and on the paperwork you get saying that it is open for dinner beginning at 5PM. After driving 400 miles we just wanted to eat something and go to the room. Several of us went to the restaurant and it was empty and the lights were off although the sign with the 'supposed' hours was on the desk. There was a sign on the wall saying 'join us for dining in the Baron's room'. We went to the Baron's room - the door was open, the lights were on and THERE WAS NO ONE THERE. We went to the bar where the rude bartender told us 'We're not open on Thursday night'. We asked about the sign and she said 'well it shouldn't be there and walked over and moved it. We then asked about the Baron's room sign - she said that was for private parties only - the sign didn't say that. She then said we could order from room service or in the bar and sit in the lobby to eat. That's really something I was looking forward to. We got in the car and went somewhere else to eat. It got better at lunch the next day. We were a table of 5. We had to ask for someone to take the drink order and to bring us menus. One of our party got up and went and got utensils and napkins as the waitress didn't bring any and wasn't around to ask for any. Two of the party ordered burgers and the buns were so stale that they crumbled when they picked them up. One person and I ordered quesidillas and they were literally dripping with grease. The pico was supposed to come in a taco shell and ours was dumped on the plate in the grease. When we asked the waitress she said 'o, we ran out of the shells' then she asked if we actually ate the shells. When we said yes, she giggled and from that point on every time she came by the table she giggled and called the man who had asked about it "Mr. Shell" - The entire experience was bizarre. As this was a conference, the party of 5 needed 4 separate checks - this evidently was really hard for her. There was a banquet on Saturday night and the food was served buffet style - not my favorite but o well. One entree was chicken fried steak that looked like a frozen hamburger patty from Sysco with no breading and gravy with the consistency of soup. The other was chicken in some kind of sauce that was even thinner than the gravy. In addition to being totally unappetizing to look at they didn't taste very good either. There were a number of older people at the conference and they had a lot of problems with the doors. All of the doors other than those at the front are card-keyed access - this is OK. However, they are so heavy that some of the people literally couldn't open them and if they could were not able to hold them open while passing through. This is dangerous.
This did not affect me, but several of the people had requested smoking rooms. One gentleman was told none were available, even though his reservation clearly states 'confirmed king smoking room'. When he got to his room (double non-smoking) he noticed there were no trash cans in the room - he went into the hall and there was a housekeeper who he asked for one. She said " Oh,you're in that room? They never put anyone in that room because it is next to the laundry and noisy all the time". However, one of the other attendees who had also requested a smoking room was told "we don't have any available, but go ahead and smoke, we'll send up some ashtrays (which they did). I am a smoker but am used to staying in non-smoking properties so it didn't bother me. However if I did not smoke and got put in a non-smoking room that had obviously been used as a smoking room I would think I would not be happy. All in all the whole weekend was a bad experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rick H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ft Worth - Fossil Creek, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
I want to thank you for giving us your comments about your stay at our hotel. I deeply regret that your stay was not up to your expectations and I want to let you know that I will personally be following up with my management team and supervisors to correct the product and service issues you have commented on. I do hope you will reavh out to me befotre your next trip to Fort Worth so me and my team can show you what a first class hotel we really are. Thanks again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Me and my family stayed at your property and we had a great time. Rooms were spacious and clean. All the staff were great. Any concerns were addressed promptly. I will be back!! Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your positive review of our hotel and staff! We do strive do make every guest stay a positive and pleasant experience. I hope to see you back soon and please reach out to me personally before your next stay so I can make sure you get the same great experience and a complimentary room upgrade!!!
Bastrop, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2012

A friend and I spent one night during the Colonial. There was easy access to the hotel; the rooms were well furnished and comfortable, and we enjoyed a great meal at the restaurant. Kudos to the chef. I appreciated the warm welcome we received from the staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Rick H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ft Worth - Fossil Creek, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind words about our hotel and staff!!! I have passed along your kind remarks to our Chef and the entire staff. I sure hope to see you back at the radisson Fossil Creek in the near future!!
DFW
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at this property this weekend for my High School Reunion. Check in was pretty good, they told us they were sold out for the night & therefore she may not be able to totally honor our request for a quiet room on a high floor. She gave us a room on the 3rd floor (away from the freeway) LOCATION - PERFECT. Room #333.The room was just ok. The carpet had stains on it in front of the sofa, walls were dingy, furniture was updated but a little ragged. The bathroom tub had a small amount of mold. We unpacked & headed down to help decorate for our reunion.

After talking to others that were staying at the hotel, I found out that they all had safes in their rooms (ours did not). I had reason to want a safe, so we went to the desk to see why ours didn't & what we could do to get one. A different clerk said all the safes are on the fourth floor.... so, he upgraded us to Buisness Class, saying this was a better room.

We went back to the original room, packed everything back up & moved to the other room. This room 404, was the same as the other room in size, except it had a "foyer" (which was totally usless). It was a corner room, facing the freeway (which I didn't want). Again, the room was dingy, on one of the lamps the piping around the bottom of the lampshade had come partially off. The bathroom was large & no mold in the tub area. Several of the curtains didn't work. Didn't matter, we were there for our reunion, not to look out the windows. (View out one window was of the roof below us, chimneystacks & walls).

We unpacked & went to open the safe. It was locked & I couldn't figure out how to open it. I read the instructions.... but it wouldn't work. So, I called the front desk, they said they'd send someone right away. I waited about thirty minutes, I had to go back downstairs to my reunion.... so, I called the front desk again... told them I "HAD" to leave the room & that no one had come yet. She said they'd just come in & open the safe if I was gone. I WANTED to leave my belongings in the safe (that was the whole purpose of moving rooms, remember?).... anyway, I hid my belongings went to my reunion. We had a great time at the Reunion. The food was delishious! The Party room was great. Very pleased with that experience. Many hours later we went back to our room, only to find that no one had come to open the safe.... which was a mute point at this time...we're back in the room to stay now. Ugg.

There is one really negative about this hotel that they cannot fix, but it is a design flaw for sure. You check in at the desk in a HUGE, beautiful lobby. But the elevators, instead of being right off the lobby, are located way, way down a long & winding hallway. The hallway's carpet was loose in places, the walls were dingy like the room walls. There are all kinds of doors leading outside up and down the hallways... not the safest feeling. (Yes, you had to have a key to get in, but anyone could hold the door open for others to get in & the front desk would never know).

I just get the feeling that this hotel is LONG overdo a facelift. They just don't seem to take much pride in the property. Simple daily maintenence is all that is lacking. If it's broke, fix it. If it's dirty, clean it. If a guest has an issue, tend to it. Simple.

The beds are those horrendous Sleep Number beds............. hard as rocks, never can get them comfortable.

I don't think we'd stay here again. As far as a meeting facility, it's GREAT. The restaurants food is good too. We had a free breakfast at the buffet... it was very good & the service was good too. They restaurant managment is working... the hotel management doesn't.

Just my .02 worth....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Rick H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ft Worth - Fossil Creek, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Wow!!! I appreciate the lengthy and thorough review of your stay experience at our hotel but I regret that it was not up to your expectations. Our rooms are always clean and our staff take great pride in the room presentation; most of our guests are very pleased with our product offereing and service but I realize that we did represent our true potential for you during your stay. For this, I apologize.

I do hope that you will reach out to me personally regarding this most recent stay or for future stays at our hotel. I take your feedback seriously and will personally address past issues with you and/or make sure future stays are the best that they can be. Thanks again for your feedback; I will share it with my management team.
Atlanta
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I got a great Priceline Express deal for this hotel. The location is near two highways, making it easy to get anywhere in the DFW area. There are plenty of Restaurants in walking distance. There's even a bar/club insure but it is on the opposite side of the rooms.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to say some nice things about our hotel and staff!! I have already shared your comment with my team. I do hope you will return to our hotel and reach out to me personally before your next visit. I will make sure you get a complimentary room upgrade as well as another great stay experience. We're hospitality people who love people!!! Thanks again and look forward to seeing you at the Radisson soon!!!
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Before school started, I took my three grandchildren, 7, 9 and 10 to Fort Worth for a couple days of vacation. I chose the "fun package" for us. It was perfect. After visiting the Bureau of Printing and Engraving and a sporting goods store, we checked in for the night. Of course the kids loved the pool. After swimming we ordered our hot wings. The hot wings and fries were plenty for our dinner and it was relaxing to be served in our room. Everytime I needed assistance, the hotel staff were helpful. The next morning we had our fun package breakfast before we headed to the museums. The hotel was easy to find and to get to since it was right off I-35.

Room Tip: Try the fun package for the kids.