“Very Good Service but Hotel is Worn”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Fort Worth/medical Center
Ranked #79 of 113 Hotels in Fort Worth
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed at the Residence Inn Fort Worth University Drive/River Plaza for a short business trip in June 2013. Monica was notable for her helpful attitude at the front desk. Service was welcoming at check-in and throughout the day. Breakfast and evening dinner staff was attentive. The property is a series of two story bungalows with several studio apartments per building. The property is near Texas Christian University (TCU) in Fort Worth and adjacent to a river. The river view is peaceful and has a nice walkway for strolling. The hotel is worn though. Maintenance has occurred but the property is tired. My room had two double beds, a few burn marks on the sink but otherwise everything worked. The stucco outside my room was a bit broken up near the base of the wall. The parking lot cement was potholed some. Quite a few boards had been replaced on the landing next to the door of my room (good idea), but that change underscored the maintenance war that is being waged at the property, not always successfully. As this is an older property there are fewer electrical plugs than a newer property. If service wasn't as good as it is I would change properties next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Maegan T, Property Coordinator at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Fort Worth/medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

My name is Maegan and I am the property coordinator for the Residence Inn Fort Worth University.

I apologize for any inconvenience or discomfort you experienced due to the condition of the hotel. Please be assured that that our highest priority is the satisfaction of our guests. I have addressed your concerns with the Chief Engineer, who has also asked me to extend his apology as well.

We will continue to work to improve those areas which were not up to your expectations. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Please let me know if and when you do plan to return so that I can make sure you get a room with a river view as you perfer.

Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Fort Worth/medical Center

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have stayed at many Residence Inns and was very disappointed in this one. I don't know if some rooms are nicer than others, but ours was straight out of the early 80's. It was clean, but the beds were uncomfortable, the bathroom flooring was loose (possibly rotting underneath?) the bedding and shower curtains were a wrinkled mess. The air conditioning blew cigarette smoke in all night. We usually eat the breakfast but skipped it this visit and went to McDonald's. Just ready to get out of this place. A remodel would do wonders. It has a great location and the staff was exceptionally nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Maegan T, Property Coordinator at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Fort Worth/medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced recently at our property.

I have addressed your concerns with the General Manager, who has asked me to extend her apology for the condition of the rooms. I havce addressed this issue with the appropriate managers, to ensure that hey strive to provide the high standard of service that is required of a Marriott property. We will continure to work to improve those areas which were not up to your expectations. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

And again, please accept my apology for your experience. We would love to try and regain your loyalty so if you are ever in the area please let me know.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed there for two nights while doing an admissions visit to TCU with our daughter. The hotel was not at all full yet they refused to give us room with two beds (we are Marriott Platinum members). Our room was musty and the pillows smelled like mold. The handle on the door to our room was falling off. Our room was not serviced, even though we were gone all day. Maintenance work on the buildings cpntinued on Sunday which we were assured at check in would not be the case. Overall the hotel is a dump. Hopefully the maintenance work they are doing will be a complete overhaul. It is a fantastic location and has lots of possibilities.

• Stayed: March 2013

My name is Maegan Tyrone and I am the property coordinator for the Residence Inn For Worth University property. I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your experiences while you were visitng our property.

I hope that you will accept my apology for the inconveniences that you encountered with us. I can assure you that I have addressed this situation with the appropriate mangers and staff and this matter has been corrected. Please be assured that dedication to quality is a consistent practice throughout the corporation, and our highest priority at Residence Inn is the satisfaction of our guests.

We would love to be able to regain your confidence in our hotel again so if you do choose to stay with us, please call me at the property and I will make sure that your stay with us will be an enjoyable one.

Thank you.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Okay, its a compliment of sorts--the people at the desk are quite nice, the breakfast fine, but the rooms really need work. The room I was in smelled of mold, the furniture was old and worn. There is a nicer Courtyard just across the street and another hotel down the street. I would recommend either over this one

Room Tip: if you are staying there, ask for a room facing the river
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2012

rated very good, good hot breakfast and lots of friendly folks at the desk and at the breakfast. the only problem that we had was that the television was having difficulties and the mantience engineer replace the cable but that did not totally fix the problem. other than that is was a very enjoyable stay. we stayed one night 12/28/12

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here during our visit to the NrHa cowtown classic. The rooms were simple and small. Had trouble with the heating system. The pull out sofa mattress was very uncomfortable and I had called down to he front desk for more blankets and pillows. 2.5 hrs and 1 follow up call produced nothing. Finally called again only to have to walk down to the front desk and collect my own pillows and blankets. The breakfast was dry and tasteless. The highlight of the breakfast was the Texas state shaped waffles. The elevators were full of finger prints and the Floors were dirty. Overall not a very gd stay. I had higher expectations for this hotel. Slightly disappointed. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed in a number of Residence Inns, and they seem to fall into two distinct categories: Updated and comfortable or shabby and depressing. I'm afraid this property falls into the latter category.

The property is laid out in a sort of bungalow style arrangement, which actually was pleasant if you don't have a problem with a motel-style external entrance to each room. Groups of four rooms made up each little building. Nearby is a small body of water that had hiking/running trails running by it, though I didn't get the chance to explore that area.

I didn't interact with the staff very much, but when I did they were pleasant and helpful.

It's located near a very busy road, so there is some road noise for the units closest to the road (which my room was) though I should say I didn't hear anything when I was inside the unit. My room had a small porch that overlooked the lake/pond/park area.

While this property does have some things going for it, I just couldn't get past the obvious fact that it had been a long time since it'd had a proper facelift. The appliances in the rooms could very well have been from the late 80s and the beds were of low quality. The decks were starting to rot and the metal fasteners were rusting. Nothing was broken, and everything was clean. However the overall vibe was that this was a "cheap" hotel. However, when I stayed there at least it wasn't inexpensive, making it a bad value.

The workout facilities were not bad if you just wanted cardio. There was one elliptical and two treadmills, all up-to-date and functional. The workout room is small, and the air freshener was so strong in there that I had to prop the door open to get some fresh air in there. But for my needs it was perfectly acceptable.

If you were on a budget and the rates were very good I could see recommending this property simply as a low-cost option. But compared to other properties at the same price point I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business