“History into the future”
Review of Cowtown Coliseum

Cowtown Coliseum
Ranked #27 of 156 things to do in Fort Worth
More attraction details
Owner description: Site built in 1908 that offers professional rodeos every Saturday during summer.
Fort Worth, Texas
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“History into the future”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Cowtown Coliseum is a icon of the Stockyards region of Fort Worth. This coliseum is original and has been used since the 1800's for everything from auctions to rodeo events. Wekly rodeos are still held here and if you want to see the down to earth real cowboys...this is the place to go

Visited July 2012
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Rueil-Malmaison, France
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fabulous rodeo at Cowton Coliseum”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I'm french and I visited Texas recently. I went to Fort Worth and I was at the show at Cowton Coliseum. I was really impressed by the quality of this rodeo : these 2 hours of show with various activities was really faboulous.

But for a french guy the most impressive was just before the beginning of the show when we heard an old song about Texas (I don't remember the title) and during the national anthem of the USA : to see all the spectators standing up with the hand on the heart was really stirring.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank 476Anris476
Boston, Massachusetts
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“If you are a PETA member, this is NOT the place for you...”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My friends took me here 10 years ago, so last weekend, when I found myself in the D/FW area again, going here was a natural option.
Firstly, you do not need an entire day here... a few hours, if timed right will suffice.
They bring the longhorns down Exchange street twice a day. If you get there at 3:30pm, watch the longhorns being driven down the street at 4, go to one of the bars/restaurants in the area, window shop and then hit the show around 8, you'd have seen pretty much all this area has to offer... IMHO!
The show runs for about 2 hours with an intermission.
If you have a ticket, you can get in early and take pictures of the place when it is empty.
There's your standard fare of burgers, hotdogs and soda inside the coliseum. We weren't allowed to carry "visible" food inside.
We got the reserved seats of Ticketmaster, but if you don't care for front row seating (I did since I wanted a clear view for my camera), the place has ample seating with decent views, given that the stadium style seating is no more than 15-20 rows deep.
I'm sure the bulls are prodded, and calves are mauled, and horses are whipped, and are lambs are used for entertainment... I'm not going to judge that, but then I grew up in a household where we'd wring the necks of chickens before cleaning them up for a fresh meal.
The show is split between cowboys competing (yeah, it is a competition) on bulls, kids chasing a lamb, older kids chasing a calf, show riding (not sure of the correct term, but they have horses running around obstacles), lassoing in calves from horses, lassoing in calves with two lassos, some dude showing his skills with a lasso (something like ribbons at the Olympics), and then finally back to bull riding.
Oh, by the end of it, if you are closer to the ends (north chute and south chute), you may have a higher probability of smelling like horse and cow manure!
Finally, the best seats, in my opinion are the reserved boxes in the single digit and upper 50s blocks (closer to the north chute) if you are interested in the bull riding, or the ones in the low 20s and high 30s if you are interested in the calf lassoing!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank John D
Wichita, Kansas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Never again!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Took my 11yr old son & my parents to the Rodeo during a trip to Fort Worth. We walked out without even seeing 1/2 the 'show'.

We are not from this area (we're Brits) and the only Rodeo experience we have it what we've seen on TV. We were obviously naive in our expectations.

The start of the Rodeo was great, a lovely lady on a horse with the flag, national anthem etc. Very nice.

Then it went downhill. The bucking horses had something very tight tied around them to make them buck. This was followed by about 30 8-12 yr olds chasing one poor calf around the arena to get a ribbon off it's tail.

Then it got worse. Calf lassoing. Doesn't seem too bad...until you watch a calf being lassoed & literally picked up & thrown on the ground (very hard throw) and have it's legs tied together. The next calf was caught around the neck & dragged around like that by the lasso. This is not like a dog on a leash, the rope was getting tighter. At this point my 11 yr old son started to cry. We left at this point.

I had expected to see more 'trick' horseriding by the rodeo clowns, maybe lassoing the longhorns by the horns. What we saw was blatant cruelty to animals. There is no need to treat animals like that, especially not to 'entertain' or as a competition (which this was).

Visited October 2012
Burleson, TX
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Rodeo history”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Nostalgia reigns here. This place holds so many memories. Although it is used primarily for its weekly rodeos and Wild West shows it was fifty years or so ago the home to "real" roller derby, "real" wrestling, and concerts. This is the site of the very first indoor rodeo.
I love this place!