“Surprisingly good” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 110 Hotels in Fort Worth
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My partner and i journeyed to Dallas on our way back to the UK from Mexico. We decided to have two days in at this hotel as we did not want to travel too far from the airport.

Arrival and first impression

The hotel is pretty new, only a few years old, very light and airy lobby combinded with a very gracious welcome, our short stay hear could have not been better. From the start of our trip to the end the staff could not have been more welcoming and hospitable.

Accommodation

Our suite was spotless and kept that way every day by a very conscientious and dedicated staff. The room had excellent wifi provision and a great air conditioning, even for a Holiday Inn, the bed was comfortable, not to the level of the Crowne Plaza, but far better than most, if not all Holiday Inns in Europe. My only critique is the pillows on the bed, very small and lumpy, these do need changing, apart from that, very comfortable.

Bar, Restaurant & Pool

An good quality bar and restaurant, the quality of the food is of a good standard for set at a reasonable price. Service was mixed, the waitress who served us dinner got the order of the meals mixed up, serving us the main course before starter.

The pool area is fair, a great pool, not too much room to walk around, but it served it purpose.

Overall Comments

We had a fantastic time, the reception staff were all fantastic, a big thank you to James, he made us laugh and added a great deal to our stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Flying-Dove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here from Sunday-Wednesday. I flew in from RDU to DFW. I was staying here from a training seminar that our company held at the hotel. Upon arriving at the airport I called the hotel and they immediately sent a courtesy shuttle to pick me up from the airport. I was picked up within 10 minutes after departing the plane! After arriving at the hotel, I was kindly welcomed and checked in by very friendly and accommodating staff. Our meals were all taken care of. We received breakfast coupons, we were served lunch daily in the conference rooms and ate dinner in the on site bistro/restaurant. The service made the experience so much better! It made the quality of everything seem that much better because of how Rosemary treated us! She was there for us at breakfast, she assisted her team on service our group of 17 lunch and ensuring we had absolutely everything we wanted, not just needed, but went out of her way to get us anything we wanted! For example, one of the people we were with did not want any of the side items that were being offered on the menu, Rosemary asked the person what they would like and then offered a couple of different items that were no where to be found on the menu! Outstanding Service! Every night at dinner, the wait staff was terrific! Even when there was multiple tables with groups of over 15 people, you would never know! I consider myself to be pretty critical when it comes to the service industry, especially food service, I am the first one to call over the manager if the service is slow, or the food isn't right. When working with Rosemary, I constantly felt the need to to tell her how fantastic both she is, her team is and how much better it made our stay! This is not a fake or made up review, I am a real guest. I was just that blown away with Rosemary's service! I have been to and ate at many 4 and 5 star restaurants that did not offer service any where near the quality of what Rosemary offered us. You may think, well, you were with a group of 17 people so she was probably assigned to us... no, that was not the case at all, there were multiple groups larger than us staying and eating there at the same time and I observed identical service being offered to them as well. For a Holiday Inn I was absolutely blown away! I really was! The food overall was good but the service accompanying the food made the overall experience GREAT! Thank you for your amazing hospitality! One last thing, I literally never in my 10 years of traveling for business and over 25 years of traveling and eating out, I have never left a review for a business; the service was that good that I had to write a review to make it known just how good they are here but especially Rosemary! If you have a business group in need of conference space and/or rooms for a large group, give these guys a shot, they will make sure you have everything you need and more to make your stay beyond comfortable. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff M
Grand Prairie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The food at the Bistro located inside of the hotel is amazing!!! The chef Correy is great. I love to eat there. I have been there once a week for the 3 weeks straight. I recommend this restaurant to everyone. Great Food, Great Atmosphere

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Orchard Park NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Held a training seminar here and had a sleeping room for two nights. Everything was great from the friendly staff to the clean and prepared meeting room to the lounge/restaurant. The sleeping room was very modern and clean. The airport shuttle worked great. If you are looking for a full service hotel near DFW then I don't think you can get much better than this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank scottop
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the DFW Holiday Inn near the airport and was so impressed with several of the employees and the restaurant mgr that I had to send a review. In regards to Rosalba Rivera who cleaned my room, I want to say 'thank you' for taking the time to not simply clean my room, including making my bed, but you realized the way I liked having the extra covers that I pulled from the extra bed. You made up my bed with the extra bedding so I wouldn't have to 'recreate my perfect sleeping set-up' before getting into bed the second night. I appreciate that Rosalba!
The other employee that impressed me was Gilberto who served me and my colleagues lunch in the conference room. Once again, this employee wasn't just 'doing his job.' On the first day when I asked for a larger glass for my ice tea, he brought me one with tea in it AND then did so the following day without me even having to ask for it! That's the kind of service one would expect from a much higher end hotel! Gracias Gilberto!
Lastly, meeting the F&B Mgr Rosemary Kowalewski was also a pleasure. When she mentioned how much she loves her job, I could see it reflected in our food service and her staff. Thanks Rosemary - you and your staff are a great asset to the Holiday Inn family!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

If you are driving to various sights in the DFW area, this is a great option. Just 6 miles from Six Flags/Rangers Ballpark/Cowboy Stadium exit on Hwy 360 at the intersection with Hwy 183. Easy travel to SMU, Ft. Worth stockyards and more. Hotel is nice, good value, family and business friendly. The dance club/bar on the first floor was jamming and packed. Close to airport and seems to host wedding visitors regularly. In spite of all the activity, the room was quiet and the staff attentive and not rushed. Large nicely appointed showers, and cabinet covers on mini-fridge and microwave were a nice touch.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dallas DFW Airport - South, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear trumpetsinger,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. We are glad that our location and the condition of our hotel were to your liking and contributed to making your stay that much more comfortable. Comments as yours motivate us to work much harder in order to deliver the service levels that our guests are looking for when they stay with us. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Worthington, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Had all but one of the family staying here on a Saturday night, so we had two rooms. My first complaint issue was when we checked in at 330pm, they weren't able to get us rooms anywhere close to each other. So one of our rooms was on the third floor and the other room on the fourth floor. It worked out fine for awhile. Then the third floor room's air conditioner died (313), and wouldn't turn back on, so we had to move those three people across the hall to another room (312), and there were no issues at all there.

The next issue was with their cable boxes. In the fourth floor room (421), it was difficult to keep the TV signal going. You couldn't BREATHE on the cable box or it would blank the screen. The maintenance guy came up, tried to fix it, but it was no better after he left.

Those three issues above take off one dot.

I was irritated about parking being scarce, but we didn't do a lot of leaving and coming back, so it wasn't so bad. The shuttle van for the hotel will take you to DFW Airport or anywhere within a 4 mile radius of the hotel, which includes several restaurants and convenience stores, but not much else.

Here's what irritated me the most, $2.00 for a can of soda from the pantry behind the front desk? Why would you charge that much for it when even your own vending machines on odd numbered floors sell 20 ounce bottles for $1.50? That made no sense to me at all.

The beds were middle of the road, comfortable but not nearly as much as others I've had, nor our own bed at home. Pillows were four to a queen bed, two queen beds to a room. No real desk to use so my wife and I had to put both our laptops on the small table and squeeze into two not very comfortable chairs so we could both work.

Pool was an outdoor affair and it was packed the whole time, so we skipped out on swimming.

The restaurant gives kids 12 and under meals for no charge when adult meals are purchased. There is a breakfast buffet at least on Sunday morning, but at $11 per, we passed. Restaurant pricing was high as expected, but there were lower cost options and a la carte items to choose from. Had we eaten there it would have cost the same as anywhere else. The eight of us can spend $60 easily at a McDonald's, and four adults would have spent $60 at this restaurant and the kids would have been free. So it can be worth it to try, we just chose not to.

We got these rooms for about $60 each on Priceline, name your own price, we chose South DFW, 3 stars, tried $50 first, then $55, then $60. Total was right at $150 including all taxes and fees. Not bad at all. I wouldn't have been willing to pay more for this property, though, with all the issues it had and the "not quite as convenient to Arlington as we thought" location.

I think that about covers it.

Room Tip: No beautiful views to be had, just another hotel and some apartments. On weekend nights they have k...