“Looks can be deceiving”

Norman, Oklahoma
“Looks can be deceiving”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Looks can be deceiving

We read the reviews about this hotel while looking for something more affordable in Fort Stockton. Apparently due to all the oil money/workers, the hotel prices are really high considering this is Fort Stockton and not a major city. This place had about 8-10 reviews and most were favorable, even though some mentioned that this was not the place to be if you wanted amenities. One review was very negative and had lots of photos of the ugly looking exterior of the hotel. I am not sure if the people that wrote the review actually went in and saw any of the rooms. At any rate the price ($56 per night) was hard to beat so we decided to take a chance and go with the majority of the reviews since we only wanted a clean and quiet place for the night. Do keep in mind that that this is a mom and pop operation and they are renovating the place very slowly so the exterior does not look great. Just take a look at the room before passing this place up. They have plenty of non-smoking rooms. Both nights we saw plenty of cars in their parking lot, some of these cars we recognized later in the week while touring Big Bend National Park.

We were pleasantly surprised when we saw our room. It was obvious that it had been recently remodeled and it had a refrigerator and microwave, which is more than you get in fancy resort hotels. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. The sheets, like the room, were clean and there were plenty of towels and even shampoo and soap. Some hotels that cost more do not provide shampoo (believe it or not). We had a very restful night at this hotel and I most add that the people at the desk were very nice.

We ended up spending two nights at this place once on the way down to Big Bend National Park and the second as we were heading home. For this second time I called the owners and told them we would be late, maybe after 10 pm. They were very nice and told me they would hold a room for us and they did not even ask for a credit card!. Upon arrival there was a speedy check in and we were given the key to our room. Two queen size beds that were as comfortable as the king size bed we had the first time.

There is no breakfast at this place, but for the price I could hardly complain. Stripes (a gas station/restaurant) has very good breakfasts at very reasonable prices if you are looking for a place to eat breakfast.

In general I would recommend this place to anyone who is just passing through for the night and just wants a safe, clean, quiet place with friendly service at a very good price. I would stay there again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarracenia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Fullerton, California
Reviewed October 13, 2012

A very nice hotel for a great price. Room was clean and comfortable. They are also pet friendly, you just have to pay a $10 fee if you have an animal (I had my cat with me).

The only cons were that I couldn't connect to the wireless internet, and there was some construction around the exterior part of the hotel - however this did not affect the quality of my stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Robbie R
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I have been driving across the country, and we make it a point to stay at affordable, family owned hotels. I noticed this motel's pricing and reviews, and called. The owner invited me to come see the room for myself. We drove an hour, and pulled in. Clearly, there is construction going on... and some of the surrounding area has seen some better days. However, I stepped in the office door, and Depak handed me a key, imploring me to take our time. My wife and I opened the door... and wow! It looked like the bed was brand new. The tile and counter tops showed that the owner cares, and the bathroom is nicer than some We've encountered for thrice the price. Fridge, check. Microwave, check. New large ac unit... check. No coffee maker or hairdryer. The remodelling is not specifcally world class, but what it is is clearly an affordable hotel run by owners with an obvious sense of putting their money where their guests will benefit the most. For $50, it's a steal.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank XPADREX
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was very apprehensive about a hotel that looked like this and for the asking price. I only took a real risk, against my better judgement, because of what I read on Tripadvisor. The
"Diamond in the Rough" and "Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover" were right. I was mostly concerned that it was CLEAN and it was as clean as any 4 or 5 star hotel I've been in. It has been newly redone...the bathroom had immaculate sink and not even dirt in corners! Only drawbacks: thin, but very clean towels; no breakfast. However, there was a microwave and frig. If you just want a clean place to sleep, this is it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Mlee26
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Rooms are completely remodeled and refurbished with nice furnishings. Very clean. Do not always judge a book from it's cover. This Inn is under construction, but is a good value. The management is very cordial and pleasant. If you are looking for a nice nights stay while coming in under your budget, this is recommended.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Budgeted
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Deluxe inn has become one of the cleanest places to stay in town, I went there back in 2009 and it was an alright place, with my stay in 2012 the rooms had been completely remodeled and made to feel like a 5 star hotel at a fraction of the price.

• Stayed September 2012
Blanco, Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2012

That's what my husband said about this old court-style motel that's being renovated. Sure, it looks iffy on the outside, but our room was super clean and comfortable (and quiet). Jayna, the owner, was eager to please and promised to give us a nice room. Room #121 was! New paint. Bathroom recently redone. The king-size bed was comfy and soft. The room had a small microwave and fridge (no freezer). No coffeemaker either, but we brought our own mugs and instant coffee so we were good. She should up her $50 for one night. What a bargain! (P.S. A clothes/towel hook on the back of the door in the bathroom would be nice.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business