“Overpriced and in need of renovation”

Motel 6 Ft. Stockton
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Fort Stockton
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We are relocating from Florida to California and driving cross-country with our children and three pets. As such, hotels are limited to pet-friendly ones and our choices limited by our stopping places along the way. There aren't that many stayover towns in West Texas, so we chose Fort Stockton, based partly on TripAdvisor reviews. This was my first, and, I hope, my last, experience of a Motel 6. This one is situated on a desert road (with, fortunately, a Wal-Mart and McDonalds close by), and is basic in the extreme. We were put on the second floor at the back (by a very friendly and obliging manager at the desk--for which, thank you), which was ok, except the stairs are rough concrete, uneven and potentially dangerous. The two rooms we had were, well, almost unacceptable, though we kept telling ourselves it was only for one night. The floors were lino, greasy and unevenly disinfected; the furniture rickety; the bedspreads in both rooms were stained; the bedlinen, a dirty white, and one sheet had blood on it. Our bathroom was passable, though there was no toilet seat. Actually, I felt obliged to go round the rooms with a Clorox wipe and I've never felt compelled to do that before. For sleep quality, beware: the motel leaves the outside lights on through the night, so the lights shines through the plastic curtain. Some of the other clients were noisy and oblivious to their surroundings. All in all, it wasn't the most comfortable stay, and it cost $49.99 per room, which is hardly cheap. We had stayed in a fabulous Red Roof Inn the night before for just $62. Motel 6 couldn't compare at all. I wouldn't recommend it. There's a La Quinta across the street: try that.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank EMT64

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Have stayed here several times before and written good reviews. Probably should have asked for a different room. First of all the door had large openings at the bottom and side, enough to let light in and after sundown, flying insects. I ended up stuffing towels in them, and the room was close to the stairs and not only could you hear every footstep, but the bed would actually vibrate with the footsteps, Guess it was "magic fingers" without the quarter! But like I said I have stayed several times and never had any problems.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank TucsonDesertwillow
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I realized when I booked the Motel 6 that I was getting bare bones. Even if a hotel is inexpensive, it should be clean and I should feel safe. When I pulled up there was a man with a bed roll sprawled on the sidewalk. I checked in, and the clerk was friendly and fast, so I can't complain about that. I went to my room and it was ok looking, but when I spilled something on the floor and wiped it up, the tile was very dirty. The bed was uncomfortable. There was no shampoo and only one tiny bar of cheap soap. Next time I will spend $20 more and stay somewhere a bit nicer. I hate writing negative reviews, but this motel deserves it.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank sngcanary
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I stayed at this motel in the past many times and it was great, but all of a sudden there are 6 LARGE dogs, all in the pool area. I love dogs and have 6 of my own plus cats and goats. There is such a thing about sanitation and DOGS and swimming pools do NOT go together. I stayed there 3 different times in the month of April and each time LARGE dogs in the pool area. One time I was feeling so bad and needed rest, the dogs Barked continually. One my little grandson ran out to see the doggies and almost got his arm bit off. These I found out are not GUESTS dogs but the managements. I complained the last day about it and when I made reservations for the next time, after traveling for hours and arriving late at night the tell me that I am on the NO RENT LIST!! I am shocked. Why wasn't I informed at the time of the reservation? I had done nothing except tell them that dogs do NOT belong in the pool or pool area. It is NOT a dog run. I will be calling the health board. This is awful. I will NOT swim with dogs or walk barefoot around where dogs have went pee, etc.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if they have the dogs, and do NOT dare to complain about anything!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank YahannahY
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This location was very busy. The service was perfect we showed up late and the staff checked us in quickly. The room was pleasant had a low budget art deco feel but was nice for a Motel 6. No complaints what so ever. Would visit again if the need arose.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Indyrat
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Overall happy with Motel., Room was clean nothing fancy but what do you want for the money. I have stayed in more expensive hotels that were not as clean. This Motelis large Dog friendly and they do not charge for the Dogs, Room has a refrig and microwave, but no coffee maker, It has a table and chairs and a desk. The property appeared to be clean but we arrived very late,. Overall we were very happy,

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robin C
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed here one night as the break in our two day trip from Weslaco, TX to Albuquerque, NM. Rooms were brighter than I remembered, and clean. Bathroom is on the smallish side, but everything was clean and working. I must have been really tired, because I don't recall hearing anything outside.

Tiny TVs, and you have to pay for internet.

I would have no qualms staying here again if I ended up back in Ft. Stockton.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business