“Nice last-minute option”

Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Fort Stockton
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We were so late getting in (almost 8 PM) that we had trouble finding a hotel with availability. We were lucky to find this room, and we were very pleased. We did miss the free breakfast that we were used to with other chains, but it was fine. The room rate was a little high, but others in that area seemed to be higher as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Kokotraveler,
I too am grateful that we had the availability to have host you and your travelers this past May! I am not certain if your aware of our brand, but the Candlewood Suites has no breakfast, no daily cleaning for a reason, this allows us to offer you and other travelers a very low competitive rate, allowing us to keep cost down at the same time provide a comfortable and memorable experience.
Because our moto is "consider us home", we also extend complimentary guest laundry; a convenience and savings, as dvd rentals; for your enjoyment and convenience.
You will also find that we have a 24hr Cupboard for your snack craving, gazebo equipped with 2 stainless steel grills, outdoor pool and we are also Pet Friendly; allowing that four legged family member to travel with you.
So, as you continue your travels through west Texas and or through the continental U.S. please be assured that you will receive the same or similar amenities and customer service at any of our Candlewood Suites, Staybridge and Holiday Inn Express to name a few.
We appreciate your business!
Regards,

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I give it 4/5 because its a bit pricey but that is due to location & no continental breakfast. Other than that my family loved this place.
After a horrible experience at the La Quinta, which we DO NOT recommend. We went to Candlewood Suites. Loved it, you have a kitchen with all the essentials for cooking, pans, utensils, dishwashing soap, towels, paper towel. Popcorn.
You can check out free dvds at the front office and they are pretty new releases when we went. You can do free laundry but just have your own detergent.
No continental breakfast but they have free coffee & fruit in morning while they last.
Very well worth the money. Clean, beautiful rooms, partly wood & carpeted. Pet friendly too. Loved it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Paul A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear Win M,
On behalf of the Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton and its staff, we wish to thank you for taking time to provide TripAdvisor with your positive comments!
I am happy to hear that your 1st time at our brand Candlewood Suites was one that of a positive one. My staff and I strive to assure your stay is a memorable and a pleasant one.
As an extended stay property we have many amenities that suit the overnight traveler as to our extended stay traveler, however they both enjoy the free laundry, DVD Lending Library and our Pet Friendly accommodations.
Not serving a hot breakfast, not having ice machines in the corridors, and daily housekeeping have been an opportunity for our overnight travelers. Thus providing a full kitchen to prepare your personal diet, refrigerator with its personal ice maker and a full cleaning every 7 days provides our guest with their privacy. However we do combat several of these, we do have small ice bag with ice that we provide available at our cupboard, additional light touch or full touch cleaning for a small fee and courtesy fruit, and packaged oatmeal to start your day off!
In short, I appreciate your patronage and certainly aspire you will allows us another opportunity to host you and your family during your next traveling through West Texas.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Upon arrival the front desk clerk acted as if we were bothering her by being there. The room was worn, cabinets loose, no ice made in freezer and no ice machine in hotel so if you want ice you will wait hours for it and hear it clunk all night. Internet did not work and I had to call Internet provider to get help. When internet company called back after we had been disconnected and left a message, we did not get option on deleting message, so the red light kept flashing...called front desk clerk who did not know how to reset it and said she would check and call back....never did call back. Unable to adjust air conditioner to comfortable temperature. The shower ONLY had VERY HOT water if you tried to turn it cooler it turned OFF. Breakfast was "fresh fruit" which turned out to be overripe bananas. The parking spaces were not very big and I had a full size pick up truck. When I came out in the morning I had 2 large construction trucks parked on either side....both of my doors were dinged and I had to pull out of the space to allow my passenger to get into vehicle. I specifically asked for a room where I could keep an eye on my truck because I had things in the open bed (covered by tarp and tie-downs) desk clerk said our room faced parking lot.....NOT it faced opposite side of building. In the morning when I got my coffee the desk clerk stayed way back in the office area and did not even acknowledge my presence. It was overpriced $150 and the worst hotel we stayed at on our trip. I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kim G
Paul A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Kim,
Let me begin by introducing myself as the GM at the Candlewood Suites in Fort Stockton.
I was reading to your recent posting in regards to your stay this past April 2014 and on behalf of my current staff and myself please accept my apology.
It is not customary for any of the properties I run, much less and IHG Property to have these conditions, inconsistencies and unprofessionalism.
We take pride in our hotels and I am happy to share that we now have a dedicated staff of professionals that will make certain we meet your everyday hospitality needs, assuring you receive a clean suite accompanied by a memorable stay.
If I may, in the future, when visiting any of our brands, we ask that you do bring these issues/concerns to our attention, this way we can address them by either relocating you or coming to respectable solution. My business card, located at the front desk is readily available for any guest that has a comment and or concern with my staff or hotel.
I am sorry to hear that your vehicle was damaged, unfortunately as a hotel we are not liable and or responsible for theft and or damages, nevertheless I do understand your frustration. We take your request seriously, however being in West Texas and only having 74 units, your request was not available due to undeparted in house guest.
I would certainly welcome an opportunity to speak to you, in hopes you allow us another opportunity to display our passion we have for our guests here at the Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed 1 night. Clean, friendly and more amenities than we expected. The management and staff obviously put a lot of thought and work into providing a pleasant experience for travelers. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank texa5

Dear Jerry,
Good afternoon, thank you so much for sharing your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton.
I was elated to have read your comments, I did share them with my staff during one of our weekly morning meetings, and not to my surprise they were very pleased.
We take pride in assuring we provide you and every one of our guest a clean, safe and memorable experience at my hotel
You are correct, as a brand all CWS do not provide both breakfast and daily housekeeping. We are slated for the extended stay guest but certainly welcome all!
As a courtesy to my guests, I do provide a very small continental breakfast; fruit, oatmeal, hot cocoa and on occasion breakfast burritos and or small muffins. I also provide a Quarterly Social; consisting of a BBQ, Pizza, or even an Ice Cream gathering.
We also can provide housekeeping within the 7 day span, for your future visits and cleaning expectations, please see our front desk for guidelines.
To reiterate, thank you for your business.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed 3/29 and 3/30. Hotel is just off interstate near several other hotels.

There is plenty of free parking and check in was friendly and efficient. Our room was large, well appointed with typical Candlewood furniture, full size appliances and work station. Everything was clean and well maintained. The TV had plenty of channels and wifi worked very well.

Beds had clean sheets and plenty of pillows, We slept well. HVAC is controlled by a wall control panel ad worked well. Bathroom had plenty of towels and all worked well.

Like all other Candlewood extended stay hotels, there is no breakfast available. There is a McDonald's nearby, but restaurants in Fort Stockton are few and mostly off-brand.

All in all, a comfortable stay which we can recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry C
Paul A, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Jerry C,

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking time out of your busy schedule to rate us.
We appreciate the great feedback about your recent stay with us and we hope to cater to your needs in the near future as well.

Regards,
Elizabeth Fabre
Ops. Manager

Reviewed March 26, 2014

As a premium IHG member, I needed a hotel in Ft Stockton for ONE night. I called the res line and they said they only had ONE hotel in Ft. Stockton (Candlewood). "OK", I thought, "at least it's clean and I'll get points". Well, I arrived at my destination to find a Holiday Inn Express (my preference). Hmm...why didn't the res line tell me? Either way, I had the Candlewood on the phone to confirm the address. Then I asked "Hey, can I stay at the HI Express instead?". She said "We are better! We have a kitchen, fridge, oven....". "But wait", I asked, "I am only there for a night!" She repeated how nice the kitchen was (we ate out and didn't bring groceries). I arrived with a tall bottle of soda but found that they only have ONE SMALL Ziploc baggie of ice for each guest. But WAIT! I was assured that the ice maker in the room would work. When I inquired about a hot breakfast, I found out that oatmeal was the only thing on the menu in the morning. And by the way, my ice maker in the fridge never worked. To make matters even funnier, the manager on duty the next morning asked me if I knew how to turn an ice maker on (ummmm....duh!). LONG STORY LONGER - I will never ever stay at a Candlewood Suite again - unless the only other option is sleeping under a bridge.

Room Tip: IF you need ice or prefer a hot breakfast, avoid this hotel. Try the Holiday Inn Express instead.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank DeutscherAz
Paul A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Deutscher AZ,
I wanted to express my gratitude for allowing us to cater to your overnight accommodations. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations, as an extended stay hotel, we attempt to inform all of our transient guest of our culture. Upon making your reservation, you should have been informed of our hotel and the difference between our sister property.
Our culture is different from that of our sister property the Holiday Inn Express, we do not offer breakfast, nor do we have ice machines in our hotel. As a courtesy I offer a breakfast baggie containing 2 packets of oatmeal and a pop-tart, an item I do not have to offer but do as a courtesy for our travelers, due to our ice makers taking up to 15 minutes to drop ice cubes. An additional courtesy we have in our Candlewood Cupboard to cool down that beverage you need after a long trip.
Our Engineering/Maintenance Dept. conducts a thorough check of all of our appliances as soon as the guest check out, in particular our refrigerators/ice makers with the spring and summer months around the corner.
We also conduct call backs with all of our check in's to assure that your needs are met and that all is in working order, not to mention a night auditor whom is trained to answer and accommodate all of our in house guest, we have a dedicated staff of professionals who are empowered to make decisions for the satisfactory of our guest. If you did not report the issues you encountered to our staff, then unfortunately we cannot react to your grievance and accommodate you accordingly.
Extended stay hotels such as Staybridge and our Candlewoods are not for everyone, these hotels were built to cater to the extended stay guests, however we welcome all, but not everyone is educated on our culture, this is something our corporate and investors at IHG are diligently working on, not to mention our efforts at the hotel level.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is a very clean, suite-type hotel. We only stayed one night. The beds are comfortable and rooms, clean :) There is a kitchenette in the rooms as it is intended for longer stays. They do not have a continental breakfast b/c of kitchen in rooms (oatmeal, bananas available in the a.m.). You can make your own coffee (provided) and breakfast. Refrigerator, microwave, stove in the rooms also. Very quiet, clean and Paul the manager was helpful. If you are planning to use the pool, it is outside and very cold at this time of year (but, hey, Shamu would love it)!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ktr11
Paul A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear KTR11,
On behalf of the CWS Fort Stockton and my staff, thank you very much for allowing us to serve you and your family this past March 2014.
We appreciate you taking time to provide us and the public with your kind words in reference to our hotel and staff. I want you to know that I have shared this feedback during our weekly roundtables, the staff's faces and eyes lite up when I read your comments.
Although the Candlewood Brand does not serve a hot breakfast as our sister property the Holiday Inn Express, I do have the pleasure of at least putting out bananas and oranges in the morning. I also provide a quarterly social where we grill out burgers and dogs....so pencil into your calendar to come out and join us for the very 1st BBQ on April 12th!
You are right, even during our 110 degree hot summer days, the pool's water remains cold, nevertheless it always nice to have this amenities for all my guest to utilize.
Best Regards,