“Still the best restaurant between Dallas and Houston!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sam's

Sam's
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Fairfield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Argyle, Texas
“Still the best restaurant between Dallas and Houston!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

We travel back and forth between Dallas and Houston regularly since family resides on both ends of I45. We routinely stop at Sam's for dependable and consistent quality comfort food. It had been a number of months since our last stop but on April 15 we decided to make our most recent visit. The restaurant is nothing to look at from the outside and they do have quite a concession of candles, cards, and the like in the lobby area . . . but nothing is "pushed at you." The restaurant, I'm sure, generates the primary revenue, not the gift shop.

We both agreed as we were seated to order the buffet, Sam's claim to fame, but there are plenty of items on their menu to choose from if you choose not to order the buffet. Overall, based on variety alone, the buffet is what most of their patrons choose.

I skipped the soup and basic salads that I typically eat at home and and decided to hone in on their prepared salads starting with their potato salad and pea salad then chased that with fried okra and BBQ brisket. My husband headed straight to the turkey and dressing but fortified the selection with a few healthy sides. OMG, we were in piglet heaven. In fact, he said, as he continued to eat, "Next time I'll just fill it plate with the turkey and dressing. It tastes just like yours at Thanksgiving." He was so impressed with the amazing down home flavor of the food.

If you haven't tried Sam's you really don't know what you're missing. All of their food is tasty. You will not be dissappointed. And for a mere $11.99 all you can eat buffet with an amazing assortment of desserts included, it's a bargain!

• Visited April 2012

Dallas
“Have had considerably better comfort food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

All of the previous reviews were really good, so my hubby and I timed our trip from Dallas to Houston to allow lunch at Sam's. A large group was being seated right before the two of us and it was rather disorganized. At first, we were offered a table right by the entrance to the dining room, near the hostess stand. We asked for another table and that was no problem. We went straight for the buffett. The salad station is huge, so we skipped the soup. Green iceberg lettuce with carrots mixed in could be complimented with cucumbers, green onions, boiled eggs, cheese...all of the fixin's. It was all very fresh. Additionally, there was pickled okra, sweet pickled, pickled beets, cottage cheese, cole slaw and two kinds of potato salad. HOWEVER, the star of the salad bar was the PEA SALAD. I should have stopped eating there. The CHICKEN FRIED STEAK was delicious and the best item on the rest of the buffet. My husband really liked the fried chicken, but I thought it was overbooked. The beef brisket was tough too. The vegetables (carrots, black-eyed peas, turnip greens) were all overcooked and mushy, but the mashed potatoes and gravy was really good as was the macaroni & cheese. Overall, OK and not great.

Dallas, Texas
“True Texas Comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

We drove up I-45 from a cruise in Galveston, and while the food was good on the ship (heck, we gained 5 pounds!), it didn't compare to Sam's buffet. How can they make everything taste homemade?! I'm not saying it's healthy; I'm just saying it's GOOD. Tomorrow the dieting begins!

1 Thank dianaholbert
Marquez, Texas
“Great Full Buffet, value for quality is excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

Good friend chicken, catfish, BBQ. Big salad bar, lots of good pies for dessert.
Eat here with a big hungry stomach. Service is good even though it is a buffet for the most part. Chicken fried steak is also good.

The hot veggies are sometimes lacking in selection and quality, but who cares! If you are here, you can eat the big salad bar and all the meats you want and they are good.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Habadoman
Ft. Worth, Texas
“BUFFET CAN'T BE BEAT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

My wife and I stop here every time we head to Galveston for a cruise. The buffet at breakfast and lunch is delicious, you can't leave hungry. Not that hungry, the burgers and onion rings are top notch also. The chicken fried steak on the buffet is one of our favorites, always fork tender and the ceam gravy is thick and delicious. If you're traveling thru on I45, a stop at Sam's is a must.

• Visited November 2011