“Must stop.”

Hruska's Bakery
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Ellinger
Cuisines: American, Czech
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Love this place. The pan sausage Kolahes are the BEST. Always stop when I drive this way.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

A friend told me about Hruska's so my husband and I stopped in on the way to Austin. The Kolache's were very good and they had too many varieties to choose from. The bathrooms are clean and designed that you can shop all the way to the stall..lol you have to see it to understand what I mean. I found a great crystal candelier and cute gift items. Definitely worth the stop

Reviewed February 25, 2012

GREAT, and I mean Bucky's-style GREAT restrooms. It's between LaGrange and Columbus and lost of patros stop there. It's always crowded. They have a bakery with good kolaches...and cookies...and they have a grill with hamburgers. They used to serve french fries and before that tator tots, but now it's just chips. I liked it better the way it was before. It's larger now...but something's just missing. It's a great stop, don't get me wrong, if you're needing a snack and a restroom stop. If you're staying in the area, there are better places to eat.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I recently passed Hruska's on the way to Houston and didn't have time to stop. But, made a point to have plenty of time on my way back through. I read the website and had a feel for their menu, etc. As a total newbie, I was not quite certain how to order, who to order with and what came with the meal. I approached the counter and look a little perplexed, but didn't get a whole lot of sympathy from the young lady. I asked some questions that made it very obvious that I had never stepped foot into their establishment before, and still didn't get much of an explanation. I muddled through an order for a bacon cheeseburger and a cream cheese cherry kolache. I must say that the burger was quite good and the kolache was even better. I only write this review to encourage ownership to step up the red carpet for newbies. There are likely many passers by that stop in, curious to know what Hruska's is all about - they might consider recognizing this and identifying/educating first timers. Nonetheless, I will go back next time I find myself on 71 passing through.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

The kolaches are excellent. The hamburgers are also excellent. The pre-prepared sandwiches are good. This is the biggest thing in Ellinger on Highway 71. You have to slow down to 55 mph, but don't blink, or you will miss it.

It is always busy, with people gassing up (Chevron) and using the facilities (new,clean, ceramic tile, attractive). The store is large and filled with touristy items and snacks. It sometimes takes a while to get checked out and pay for things.

If you are between Columbus and La Grange, this or Peter's BBQ are the best places to stop.