“Good Food/Excellent Prices”

El Maguey
Ranked #27 of 43 Restaurants in Elgin
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The breakfast platter of two eggs, bacon or sausage, two slices of toast, potatoes and two pancakes for less than seven dollars including tax and tip resulted in giving this place a very good rating. Even their lunch prices are reasonable as well.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have eaten Tex-Mex food all my life in retaurants around the state. El Maguey, however, tops them ALL with a homemade salsa that is generous with the garlic and spice- simply great every time. The traditional plates all are simply perfect- my favorite are the cheese enchiladas and the beef fajitas. The tortilla soup is also very good. The food is fresh and the service consistently good. The margaritas are also yummy.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Although not the best mexican food I have ever had, I like this place. The staff is wonderful; it prices are very reasonable and the environment is laid back and enjoyable place to eat. They are always aware of when your tea glass needs filling and chips are running low.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

Two of the four times I have been there, I got food poisoning!

1  Thank BooBoo1969
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The best thing about El Maguey for me is how I feel when I visit the place. El Maguey is not big, loud and hectic and neither is it small, cramped and poorly run. When I walk in the front door, the first place feels roomy and comfortable. The decor is tasteful, warm, pleasing and harmonious, causing me to be in no hurry to leave. There is nothing gaudy or tacky about the place. Smiling servers serve you right away—how do they always stay in such a good mood?

One bonus: the price is right. Sometimes from around 11 to 3 p. m. or so they have a $4.99 meal and that often (but not always) includes the tea. That’s a good deal. A regular crowd enjoys the bar, with the big screen TVs, in the other big separate room.

Jose, the Owner or Manager, makes sure the place stays spotless. What more could you ask? Oh, the food? Good to excellent.

2  Thank Bob55795

Been to El Maguey? Share your experiences!