“Great Roadside Stop on Way From Austin to Houston”

Southside Market & Barbeque
Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Elgin
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Description: First established in 1882, Southside is proud to offer Authentic Texas Barbeque and Sausage from the oldest joint in the state! Best known as the home of the Original Elgin Sausage, we're equally proud of our slow smoked brisket, pork steaks, ribs, chicken, turkey, and more. We've continued the same traditions of smoking quality meats over real Texas post oak wood with nothing but a simple dry rub and time for over 132 years. We also offer a fresh meat market & Blue Bell ice cream counter. We're a family friendly place that'll treat YOU like family on your next visit.
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Riding down 290, we stopped on our way without knowing what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. I had the brisket and chicken combo. It was delicious! The sauce consistancy was a little thinner than expected, but good. I was advised by a local to mix the hot and barbecue together. Great tip.

There are newer reviews for Southside Market & Barbeque

Reviewed August 24, 2011

This place is very consistent. The line moves quickly and they have a variety to choose from. The potato salad is the best. The pork steak and brisket ends is what I get. Also the market has really good choice meats and the best chorizo around.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

I've been eating here my whole life. The sausage is so greasy and I just flat out don't like the way it tastes. I grew up on good hand made German sausage with good flavor and this doesn't compare. I think they've become sort of commercialized and they have changed some things about the food. My recomendation is to go down the road to Taylor and eat at Louie Miller BBQ. Now thats real BBQ.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

We have heard much about Southside since we have a friend who lives in Elgin and has eaten there often. And she is right! Not only was the food delicious, we could hardly finish the huge portions! Friendly employees, good food, and a great atmosphere, what more can you ask for?

Reviewed June 2, 2009

When driving to Austin from the east, I always make it a point to stop at Southside. It is not uncommon for me to stop at Southside shortly after 8:00 AM for a couple of wrap-arounds for breakfast. And I usually pick up a pound or two of sausage on my return trip. In addition to serving great barbeque, Southside has a meat market that is second to none. The ribeye steaks sold there are out of this world. I have been eating at Southside for many years, going back to when it was located in old downtown Elgin.

2  Thank CJTravelerTexas

Been to Southside Market & Barbeque? Share your experiences!