“Good Bye Old Friend”
Review of City Cafe - CLOSED

City Cafe
Cuisines: American, Diner
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Such a shame. Unfortunately this home town favorite has changed ownership; it will not be around in six months. At noon on Saturday, there were only five tables of diners - it used to be full. We had the chicken fried chicken; it was tough and the coating would not stay on. The green beans were canned. This has been a road stop for us for at least 20 years. When we pulled up and saw so few cars, I said, "Oh, oh." I should have checked Trip Advisor before going in. The rest rooms were in an unlighted hallway.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

First the good: I grew up in a small Texas town, so I love to frequent local businesses. This one looked charming and felt like home. The young girl servers were sweet. My husband's burger and fries were delicious.

And now the bad: there was a sewage smell coming from the women's bathroom. I realize in old buildings there can be issues, so maybe this was unusual? The place was fairly dirty otherwise though. The menus themselves - including the kids menu - were old, torn, grody, and my husband couldn't even read his because the ink had rubbed off on half of it. My son's chicken strips, while looking beautiful on the plate, were dry and hard to chew. My gravy for the roast beef sandwich was tasteless and obviously mixed from a powder.

Ahh, but then the excitement came - that beautiful pie case! The pies looked gorgeous - enough that we ordered three pieces. Boy I wish we hasn't. Each one was old and stale. As a home baker myself, i believe they should've been thrown out two days prior.

All in all a sad experience. We won't back, but I wish them luck in turning their situation around. It could be an amazing place.

1  Thank Nerdgyrl
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Over the last year, the City Cafe's service has been deteriorating; food is now average but service is absolutely terrible.

1  Thank BrockDaBadger
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Good home town cooking and great breakfast at down to earth prices.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Food is so so, service is somewhere between poor and good depending on the day. Only real reason to eat here is there are not a lot of good sit down comfort food places in Elgin. Best for breakfast. If I never go back I doubt I would be missing much.

1  Thank j98me2