“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elgin
Waxahachie, Texas
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Arrived in Elgin at this Holiday Inn Express late on a Friday night for a firearms training class the next day. Check in was very quick and the desk clerk was pleasant. The room was clean and comfortable and we had a good night's rest. Breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn Express breakfast although the bagels were a bit dried out. I will be staying here again in the future and would recommend the hotel to others staying in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Elgin-HIEX, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this review, June 29, 2016

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Although I was being attacked by crickets. The hotel staff I must say was a joy. The manager Joyce Harvey, was very kind and just gave off a great vibe. Another I must point out is the front desk clerk Samantha she was very understanding of the issue I had with the crickets and related to also being terrified of them. She moved me to a different room and asked if there was anything else I needed? I replied no and she said if you need anything else just let me know. Overall my stay was a joy. I will be returning to this location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I want to start by saying that the staff did the right thing and refunded my money but this review needs to be out there. If you are in the Elgin area...you really don't have much choice but this Holiday Inn. When we walked into our room..the first thing we noticed were bugs. They were everywhere! In the bathroom there was one in the toilet, one on the bath tub, one on the sink, one on the shelf and two on the floor.

We had spent the day at the Celtic Music Festival and were pretty tired so we just moved the dead bugs around and showered up...decided to watch some college football and relax a bit. Strike two: The TV didn't work properly. The picture was so bad you couldn't tell which team was Notre dame and which team was Michigan. I called the front desk to see if the cable was messed up in the area...she said no. I informed her that our TV wasn't working properly and she said “Try jiggling the wires”… didn’t work. She said it would be a while before she could come look at it because she had several other rooms she was “working on”. I decided to just make the best of it..watch the terrible picture and relax on the bed. A bug flew and landed on my leg. At this point I’m really not liking Holiday Inn so I pull the sheets back to get under them and there was strike 3…. Another kind of bug IN THE BED.
I call the front desk and get no answer after 20 rings so I take the elevator down and find a note stating they are away from the desk..call this number for assistance …so I called the number and Samantha answers. I tell her I need to move to another room because there are so many bugs in mine and she says that they hotel is completely booked and moving me is not possible. Now I’m stuck here…225 miles away from home in a room overrun with bugs and a broken TV. She said she would “zero out my bill” so I wouldn’t be charged. In the morning when I checked out I verified that I would not be charged and I guess that’s all they could do for me.
This hotel needs some help.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank STUNTS4FILM
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear STUNTS4FILM,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

I only spent one night here for work. The room (102) was large, clean and had a ridge and microwave. The breakfast is average for a place like this. That being said, every employee I met or spoke too was above and beyond friendly.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cassyt

Denison, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Wonderful bed, desk staff can usually be found on bench by driveway, this is a no-smoking building. The halls are in construction mode and the fitness room is gutted. Give it a couple of months. Breakfast was typical for hotels of the price and area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hsvillager

Olympia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Enjoyed my stay with Holiday Inn Express in Elgin, Tx. May 30- Jnue 1, 2012. Even though there is construction happening, every person employed there was friendly and helpful, from Joyce the manager, (who helped me find Zillow information), the housekeeper, the weekend breakfast lady and a young man who helped me retrieve coins from the pop machine. Enjoyable place to stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bellville, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

The location of this hotel was bad...it was actually behind a building and right next to a shopping center. When i asked what side of the building i should park on that would allow for easy access to my room i was told "anywhere you can find a spot". Typically, Holiday Inn Express hotels are located on their own property away from other buildings, but this one was surrounded by activity.

The hotel was under construction, which is fine; however, had I known i probably would not have booked at this hotel. The pool was not working either...not sure if that had to do with the contrustion. I'm not sure if the hotel is always dirty, but walking through a construction zone certainly didn't help. My room was on the 3rd floor which is the only floor with smoking rooms. While i specifically asked for a non-smoking room (and got a non-smoking room) the rooms across the hallway where all smoking rooms. The hallways were extremely HOT, which mixed with the cigarette smoke left a very stale unfresh smell. Definitely not something i wanted my two small children exposed to.

Later that evening I took the kids to McDonalds and when i got off the elevator on my floor i noticed the stale cigarette smell had drastically changed to a fresh marijuana smell. i called the receptionist and she quickly came up and gave me some febreeze and stated she was going to find out what was going on. I never heard back from them that night.

The next morning when i took the febreeze back to the receptionist i asked her what happened with my situation last night. She stated that the receptionist working that night did tell her about the problem. She said they did find out who was doing it. When i asked her if the people were asked to leave the hotel she stated "oh...i don't know"...clearly they were not. I explained to her that it was very upsetting to walk my children down a hallway that smelt so horrible. I got an i'm sorry and that was about all.

I love staying at holiday inn express, and i must say that this is the ONLY bad experience i have ever had. Even despite the "smoke" issue i just didn't feel comfortable in the room. I felt like I was staying in a very cheap hotel...not the quality i'm used to seeing with any Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kristin D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Kristin D,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I greatly appreciate you calling out the good qualities also. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, hence the construction and comments from our guests are always welcome. I would like to express our sincere
apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience this has invariably caused you. We appreciate the feedback that we receive as this is crucial for us to improve the products & services that we offer.

Best wishes,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Hampton Inn & Suites Bastrop
BEST WESTERN Bastrop Pines Inn
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-Manor/Austin East
Taylor Village Inn
Taylor Village Inn
#2 of 4 in Taylor
Hilton Garden Inn Austin North
BEST WESTERN Taylor Inn

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin? Share your experiences!