“Is that a cigarette I smell???????”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The location of this hotel was bad...it was actually behind a building and right next to a shopping center. When i asked what side of the building i should park on that would allow for easy access to my room i was told "anywhere you can find a spot". Typically, Holiday Inn Express hotels are located on their own property away from other buildings, but this one was surrounded by activity.

The hotel was under construction, which is fine; however, had I known i probably would not have booked at this hotel. The pool was not working either...not sure if that had to do with the contrustion. I'm not sure if the hotel is always dirty, but walking through a construction zone certainly didn't help. My room was on the 3rd floor which is the only floor with smoking rooms. While i specifically asked for a non-smoking room (and got a non-smoking room) the rooms across the hallway where all smoking rooms. The hallways were extremely HOT, which mixed with the cigarette smoke left a very stale unfresh smell. Definitely not something i wanted my two small children exposed to.

Later that evening I took the kids to McDonalds and when i got off the elevator on my floor i noticed the stale cigarette smell had drastically changed to a fresh marijuana smell. i called the receptionist and she quickly came up and gave me some febreeze and stated she was going to find out what was going on. I never heard back from them that night.

The next morning when i took the febreeze back to the receptionist i asked her what happened with my situation last night. She stated that the receptionist working that night did tell her about the problem. She said they did find out who was doing it. When i asked her if the people were asked to leave the hotel she stated "oh...i don't know"...clearly they were not. I explained to her that it was very upsetting to walk my children down a hallway that smelt so horrible. I got an i'm sorry and that was about all.

I love staying at holiday inn express, and i must say that this is the ONLY bad experience i have ever had. Even despite the "smoke" issue i just didn't feel comfortable in the room. I felt like I was staying in a very cheap hotel...not the quality i'm used to seeing with any Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kristin D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear Kristin D,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I greatly appreciate you calling out the good qualities also. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, hence the construction and comments from our guests are always welcome. I would like to express our sincere
apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience this has invariably caused you. We appreciate the feedback that we receive as this is crucial for us to improve the products & services that we offer.

Best wishes,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Very Nice and Clean Hotel > everything was so great from check inn to check out very good staff , very clean rooms ,good breakfast .Everything great .Love It

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Elgin-HIEX, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2016

Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stay here quite frequently but this is ridiculous! Performing repairs in the middle of the night really? A drill and loud hammering outside my door is not what I paid for!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ontheroadagain5150

Reviewed September 29, 2011

The new shower setups were nice and easy to use. Clean and good staff. Not much parking available.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I came to help his family move his mom. We just wanted a place that was in the area and we were very pleased. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Room was clean with a very comfortable bed. Bathroom was clean. Room was quiet and just far enough off the road so that the traffic noise was not bothersome at all. Wifi connection was great. Breakfast was more than adequate (hot/cold eggs, bacon or sausage, many breads, pancake machine, yogurt, milk, cereal, fruit) and the breakfast area was clean and pleasant with another friendly staff person. When we were shipping a package home and needed a UPS pickup, the desk person was very helpful. All in all it was a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 9, 2009

stayed in this hotel for 3days , it was a very nice and clean hotel.
Staff was very helpful and made my stay very comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed July 27, 2009

Was in Elgin to visit a good friend and was very pleased with the hotel. Room was very clean, bed real comfortable, and breakfast was excellent. Overall, a nice place to stay and the next time I'm in town, will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin? Share your experiences!