“Working getaway”

Alla's Historical Bed and Breakfast, Spa & Cabana
Ranked #1 of 2 Duncanville B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Took a weekend working get-away so that I could get some uninterrupted work time for pressing creative business matters. I needed a place that was quiet AND constructive...something a bit like a muse for inspiration. Alla's was the perfect setting for what I needed: vintage, authentic, seclusive, and very cozy. The afternoon greeting was welcoming: wine and hors d'oeuvres, lively conversation with Alla, an introduction to the history of the house, and then an escort to my quarters.
The guest house was well decorated, with many authentic touches, and all that I needed for a productive evening-in. Comfortable bed, in-room gas heater (my fav!), wifi, fully stocked kitchen...and Toshio's Japanese restaurant only moments away for carry-out!
The next morning, my husband joined us for breakfast, where we all were entertained by Alla's high-spirited anecdotes and delicious, organic servings of real food. It was a great working escape, by all means! Not a bit like work, I must say!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We were in Alla's Historical B&B ,it was a wanderfull time we had there, We were feeling we are staying in a museum, Alla who is running this place with her husbend, she was really friendly and nice she is cooking breakfast and serve that at the best way and bring everybody together like the family at home, we enjoyed at Alla's B&B.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We had a great time at Alla s Historical Bed and Breakfast. Alla and Rick were very pleasant and we could not have asked for better hospitality during our stay. The breakfast the next morning was amazing; we could not have asked for more during our visit!!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at Alla's Historical Bed and Breakfast. It was a perfect place for our group. The rooms were beautiful and the decorations were very unique. The breakfast was absolutely delicious. We left there so full we didn't eat the rest of the day! Highly recommend the European breakfast for anyone staying here. YUM!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Alla and Rick make the B&B a home away from home! The minute you walk thru the door you are taken aback by the warmth of the hosts and the beautifully restored/preserved home. The house is filled with so many interesting antiques that are still working! The cabana is a the perfect way to end the night. Alla's organic European breakfast is soooooo delicious. My boyfriend and I will definitely be returning for more stories from Alla and Rick, but especially for that breakfast :)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Alla's Bed and Breakfast is everything you should expect in a B&B and more! From the moment you enter Alla's B&B you will be welcomed like you are family. You will feel right at home from the start because Alla is such a joyful, inspiring person and a real pleasure to be around. The historical features of her B&B will leave you breathless. There are historical pieces in this B&B that cannot be found anywhere! If history is not your thing thing then how about comfort? The beds, couches and Jacuzzi will have you feeling so relaxed that you will never want to leave. To top everything off, Alla is the best cook!! We highly recommend her European organic breakfast because you will get top notch chef cooking without having to leave the B&B and it is good for you!! There are great stores (our favorite was the antique stores) and restaurants in walking distance, or a very short driving distance, so there is plenty to do! At the end of your stay you will have made friends with the people you have stayed with as well as Alla and her husband Rick. Alla and Rick will do everything they can to make your stay the best possible. Combine that with great cooking, historical significance, convenience, and friends for life and you have the best B&B experience possible!! Do not hesitate to go here! I promise you will not regret it!!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My mother-in-law was on her deathbed so I had to fly to Ohio to be with her while she was dying. I cancelled my reservation at Alla's 8 days in advance due to this unplanned and unexpected death in the family. If you have any reason to believe you may not be able to honor your reservation at Alla's due to an unexpected death in the family or emergency, don't make the reservation in the first place! Here's what it costs us: $25 room deposit, $25 processing fee, $55 for half of the room reservation, half of the 13% room tax (which I'm investigating to discover if this is legal). You are not allowed to send a cancellation email so you can get it in print--it must be over the phone. Alla has a list of stipulations a mile long related to reservations, cancellations, changes, etc. It will take you a while to read it all. Due to her unwillingness to be flexible with a family death situation (my gosh! does she have a heart!!!!!) I would never stay at her place. All I would have needed from her was a sympathetic attitude and an offer to rebook for another date which I would gladly have accepted. Also, we have never stayed at a B&B (and we've stayed at many) where the customer had to pay EXTRA for breakfast. Think long and hard about whether you are willing to take a chance on losing most of what you would have paid for the room if you are unable to honor your reservation. And come on, 8 days in advance seems like plenty of advance warning. We will not patronize the establishments of these kind of business owners. There are too many excellent B&B's out there to choose from!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank dachiz
Alla W, Owner at Alla's Historical Bed and Breakfast, Spa & Cabana, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Debra,

You have the charge cost miss-stated. The charge of the $25.00 was made only once as a room deposit and processing fee, not twice as you state. The only other charge was the 50% of your room cost.
It looks to me like you did not bother to read our cancellation policy as you most likely booked without reading anything. Our cancellation policy is BRIEF AND TO THE POINT! YOU JUST HAVE TO READ IT! We even extended our hand of friendship by offering you full credit of stay for another time of your choosing but that was not acceptable to you as you said you were not willing to consider that.. Please read the cancellation policies of other B & B's before judging us. You will find few that are as generous as we are and even offered full credit for a later stay, even years from now. We just don't want to be taken advantage of, turning away other folks because of your reservation. We'd do the same for you as we have bookings for next fall already. Also, you say that the customer has to pay extra for breakfast. Where else can you go and stay as cheap as you can with us with prices starting at $60 a room and have the choice of no breakfast with coffee, mini-breakfast for $2.99, our popular American breakfast for $7.50, or the super deluxe special organic, made from scratch European breakfast that will hold you all day for just $19.95 where the table is covered with our specialties? Sometimes a month is not enough time for a customer rebook during certain times of the year. Cancellation emails can be sent upon request, just initiate a cancellation by phone is all we ever asked. Offering full credit for a future stay I think is very flexible. Not everybody offers even that either.

Here is attachment of original email from Debra after we refused to give her full refund on her credit card but gave her a credit for her next stay:

I would have expected an offer to rebook for another day. We had every intention of trying Alla's B&B in the future. However, after this we have no interest in doing business with someone like yourself.
I am requesting that you credit my card back half of the taxes ($7.15 which I think you illegally charged) and the $25 you charged for the deposit. If my request is not satisfied, I am in the process of writing a scathing review which I plan to post on as many sites as possible as to the kind of business you operate.

Debra Chisholm

Here is attachment of our original email to Debra:

Dear Debra,
I'm very sorry to hear about your situation with your mother in law. We have only a few rooms to offer to our guest who prefer B&B's instead of hotels as we are not a typical hotel with a 100 rooms to offer. Our policies (like many others B&B's in USA) very clearly state our reservation and cancellations policies that We cannot be responsible for any cancellations due to unforeseen emergencies or unpredictable weather . Some B&B's have 10 days 50% cancellation fees, some B & B's have 14 day cancellation with full charge of a night stay. Any cancellations are accepted ONLY by phone and (not an email or fax). People who make a reservation with us automatically agree with our policies as our cancellation policies are not hidden and are placed in the reservation section. Any cancellation made by people are automatically charged 13% of tax. This is what I pay as we have rooms that are as low as $60.00 each. People who travel very often to Dallas, always ask me if I can give them a credit of the cancellation amount of money to their next stay, minus the $25.00 processing fee and I am always happy to do that for them. You NEVER asked me to give you a credit as I didn't know the purpose of your trip. ...at least you could have called and asked me.
As a woman who runs a small business, I'm going to give you credit for your cancellation (except the $25.00 processing fee) for your next stay.
...I assume that every person has read our policies before they make any reservation.
Please bring my previous email when you come next time so that I can see the fee amounts of your cancellation and I'll be happy to serve you at my B&B.

Below are links to various B & B cancellation policies which show that we are considered very generous with ours:

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duncanville
Hilton Garden Inn Dallas / Duncanville
#1 of 2 in Waxahachie
Motel 6 Dallas - Duncanville
Motel 6 Dallas - Duncanville
#4 of 4 in Duncanville

Been to Alla's Historical Bed and Breakfast, Spa & Cabana? Share your experiences!