“More than we expected at Trudy's”
Review of Trudy's

Trudy's
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Austin, Texas
“More than we expected at Trudy's”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have had good meals at the other Trudy's location and were excited to try the new Four Star location on 290 on the way to Dripping Springs. However, after reading reviews here, we were a bit apprehensive. But, we decided to make it an adventure and off we went.

The night we were there, the restaurant was having a private party on half of the patio. So, we were given the opportunity to either sit out on the patio (still indoor and with A/C) or sit in the dining room. The dining room is a strange place...reminds me of a nice IHOP. The booths give it a strange vibe...and not really in a good way. (In my opinion.) However, the patio/bar area has more of a casual, fun atmosphere. Yes, the chairs are metal patio chairs - but not uncomfortable. It is strange that there is no outdoor dining. By eating in the patio area, you get the feel but without the bugs, wind or heat. Not bad, in my opinion.

The food was great. We loved the veggie appetizer with black beans and corn. It had some good heat and was really yummy. I had the smoked chicken quesadilla and the meat was so tender and flavorful. Ask for a side of quac with this, as you only get sour cream. And, I felt it needed a scoop of pico with it. There was not enough inside the quesadilla. My husband had the spinach and mushroom enchiladas with suiza sauce and it was really hot and spicy...just the way he liked it. Salsas were good and we liked the choice of the red and green.

I felt they really missed the mark with the lack of a tequilla/margarita menu. We are sort of 'rita snobs. We like a good silver tequilla and always look forward to checking out the bar menu to see if there is anything new or "on special" that we might want to try. There was no drink menu on the tables and the waitstaff did not offer anything other than the house 'rita. Big disappointment. And a lost opportunity for the restaurant in their largest profit center.

Menu is large and we'll be back to try other options. Service was good - and on a busy night. Maybe next time we'll have to ask if they have other margarita options!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Zamigaos

“Trudy's has Improved”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

WHen this restaurant opened last year it was not a good experience. Lacked in many things that would be desired in a restaurant. Service, food, ambiance were sub-par and that's being kind. My wife and I decided to give it a second look yesterday for dinner and we are glad that things have made progress. It's better in the food choices and quality, the decor has made some progress (still somewhat lacking) and the service was more professional. They still have a problem with the parking arrangements, prepare for a hike. They could resolve this by offering valet parking. Overall we think its worth a second chance and hope that the improvements continue.

• Visited May 2012
Driftwood, Texas
“Unique Menu in Dripping Springs.”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I like the Quail Sandwich and the crab cakes. I also like the fact that they didn't over decorate. The under wall lights are neat. I don't like that they put jalapenos in their guacamole, YUK! I like the wide variety of choices on the menu but don't like that they aren't open for lunch. The place is very pretty and they even have someone operating a golf cart to take you to your car.

• Visited March 2012
Austin, Texas
“Trudy's Four Star Could Be???”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I have been to this restaurant 3 times, and although it has been hit or miss, that usually is the "service". This is a "new establishment of the Trudy's chain across Austin; and the food if they continue to offer items brought over from the 'Congress Cafe" menu, I think will succeed. However, the service is so unorganized that while myself and 2 other co-workers had lunch there this last Friday the 10th...We had 4 different servers, never seeing one more than once...I did not know who was our server and apparently the restaurant did not either. The wait for chips and salsa was 11 minutes and tea longer...The Chicken Fried Steak is good along with the Cheesy potatoes, enchiladas good, "corn tortillas" homemade and better than the flour... Fajitas, really Bad. Will I go back, right now it is the Friday 1/2 off entrees that is keeping me trying them...

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank lettucecook
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just an awful experience everytime we have gone there”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We have tried and tried to give this place a chance. We have gone there as a couple, with friends, for breakfast, afternoon meal, and dinner. The food arrives cold, they served the wrong beer, tickets cannot be separated when bringing friends, and those booths are about the most uncomfortable things we have ever sat in. I almost hit the head of the lady behind us because the booths are so close. If you bring more than 6 people, don't bother as you will not be able to sit together so why bother. We were so excited to see this "name" coming out to the Hill Country, but now we just want them to go away so the locals can do what they do best. If you want a good place to eat go to Nutty Brown where they know how to serve the food hot and you can experience what good neighbors are all about. Try Domingo's for mexican food. It is just down the road and it is right up there with the best mexican food we have ever eaten. Plus they know how to cater to the customer. We just don't feel like we have had a good experience whenever we have gone to Trudy's four star. The place is disjointed from the food to the organizational process of taking the order, serving it, and paying the bill.

• Visited January 2012